FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/eva-air-infinity-mileagelands-761/)
-   -   EVA AIR - Economy Standby at Airport? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/eva-air-infinity-mileagelands/1753032-eva-air-economy-standby-airport.html)

itsjohn07 Mar 14, 2016 9:05 pm

EVA AIR - Economy Standby at Airport?

Hi,

Has anyone here ever done a standby from SGN-SFO via TPE?

I have a return flight for March 28th but have to go back sooner, the 20th. Went to the EVA offices in SGN and they claimed they are overbooked for March with no seats available, which is weird as you can still buy tickets online through EVA' website, along with the other travel sites.

Agent in SGN suggested doing a standby at the airport, with no checked baggage, and if a seat is available, I'd be able to get onto that flight. My original flight isn't until the 28th - so I can just show up at the airport a week earlier and try for standby?

Just wondering if anyone has had to do a standby, whether it be from SGN or any Asian countries? Did you have to be on a waitlist beforehand or can did you just show up at the airport?

Thanks,
John

exwannabe Mar 15, 2016 9:12 am

Can not help on the standby question.

But if this it the return leg of SFO->SGN SGN->SFO, the SGN office might not be able to rebook you. Try US or TPE.

I have had the same in reverse. Booking BKK->LAX LAX->BKK, the US office told me I had to call the Thai office to rebook.

I assume it is something like the TPE office can always handle it, but for outstations they can only handle changes booked on tickets originally booked from their country (and for web purchases, it is based on departure airport).

I am not certain at all about any of this, but I would make the effort to call TPE or US.

yqtyyz Mar 15, 2016 11:13 pm

somewhat similar experience

Just did the same thing in TPE today. I asked the check in agent if I could take an earlier flight, and after a call to the supervisor, got it approved.

I was in Premium Laurel, and on a *A partner's reward ticket number, but I was grateful for their willingness to help out. Will fly BR as often as I can because of this (and past encounters).

Now, the only other thing I have to mention is that it was for TPE-HKG, so obviously more seats and flights from which to choose. You have nothing to lose by trying, though. Good luck!

Vkuo May 26, 2016 8:18 pm

EVA successfully cleared me as standby from HKG to TPE for an earlier flight. Ticketed itinerary was entirely through UA. Y fare. 1K.

EVA counter agent was on phone for 5 minutes, then supervisor took over my case. Filled out a paper form, designating me as Star Alliance Gold. Would not confirm until 50 minutes prior to departure. It took 45 minutes to go through security, down three levels of HKG, and to a tarmac bus. I was one of three remaining passengers and two flight crew to board last.