Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EVA and carryon weights

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2016, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

EVA and carryon weights

EVA is known to be very strict about the maximum weight allowed for a carry on. However, they also allow for a personal item such as a laptop bag. If I have a laptop bag with food, camera, latoptop, book, etc will they weigh that too?

My backpack would be just barely under the limit and stowed in the overhead. The laptop bag would stay under my seat like a glorified travel purse so I can access stuff during the flight.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 11:03 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

In my experience, they didn't weigh my personal item. I also had a rather varied experience re: carryon weights. In Seattle, they really enforced it. But in Singapore, they just turned a blind eye.

In both instances, they didn't weigh my personal item.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 12:34 am
Suspended

They weighted my carryon (laptop bag and roller carryon combined) both at SFO and TPE.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 12:54 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
They don't weigh carry-on's but they are super picky about holding your purse in your lap etc. during takeoff/landing
Old Feb 4, 2016, 12:57 am

They weighed my carry on both in HKG and LAX last week. Both times, it was 11kg and he wrote "7kg" on the tag. Was in J, but no status with them.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 1:04 am

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
Flew HKG-TPE-LAX with them last year in J. They never weigh my carryons for both segments.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by LAX/HKG
Flew HKG-TPE-LAX with them last year in J. They never weigh my carryons for both segments.
So did I, and I was mighty surprised when they did in January. Maybe new policy?
Old Feb 4, 2016, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mama
They weighted my carryon (laptop bag and roller carryon combined) both at SFO and TPE.
That is what I was afraid of. I'll have to shove all my stuff in my jacket now

Do they do this at the gate?
Old Feb 4, 2016, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by J_Flyer

i know CI does for Y, I wouldn't be surprised if BR did as well.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 10:36 am

IME, 2-3 times, BR @ YYZ weighted our carry-ons and want them below 7 KG ....

In TPE, not so much
Old Feb 4, 2016, 11:30 am
Original Poster

I dug a little deeper into the EVA policy. It looks like a carry on under 7kg AND a tiny backpack should be good to go! I'll print this off if I have to argue it at the gate. I'll report back with my success or failure!

"Elite/Economy Class passenger is permitted to carry one-piece weighing 7 kg (15lb) carry-on baggage."
In addition to the hand-carry baggage, every passenger may carry, without additional charge (subject to local country specific restrictions, if any), the following free carry-on items(of reasonable size) or an item of similar size:

a laptop computer* or
a purse or
a small backpack or
a briefcase or
a camera case

*A laptop in thin satchel-style laptop bag is considered to be a personal item. A laptop in a larger laptop bag will be counted as part of a guest’s carry-on allowance.

The following items are not counted toward your one bag and one personal item limit:

Reasonable quantity of outer garment (coat, hat, scarf, etc.), rain gear (umbrella, raincoat), reading material, food, drink, camera or small binoculars and other personal belongings
A limited amount of duty-free merchandise
I would really doubt if someone with a 7kg carryon and a purse would get denied since the purse puts it over the 7kg weight limit if they are combined.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 2:44 pm

I dug a little deeper into the EVA policy. It looks like a carry on under 7kg AND a tiny backpack should be good to go! I'll print this off if I have to argue it at the gate. I'll report back with my success or failure!

I would really doubt if someone with a 7kg carryon and a purse would get denied since the purse puts it over the 7kg weight limit if they are combined.
The cabin that you're traveling in can definitely matter - never been weighed when traveling up front. I've been strictly in PE for the last 10-months and I had become convinced that there had been a policy change. I've rarely been weighed over the last 10-months, maybe 3 or 4 times out of (I *think) 14 check-ins. LAX, MFM, HKG, BKK. And I'm always waaaay over, but they've always let it go, sometimes a 'Do you have a laptop in there? Yes. OK.' or similar exchange. Never had my backpack weighed.

If no policy change then I suspect that it *might* be helpful to have an EVA carry-on tag from a previous flight still attached. That's about the only thing that I can think of to explain my good luck. I know it's not my pleasant personality. *G, but I was *G early last year/the year before that when I did seem to get weighed consistently when travelling in PE. Maybe just the small sample size.

Edit: Oh, and my backpack is not tiny. Medium sized I'd say, I do count on it for carrying a decent amount of my travel kit.

Last edited by mikal; Feb 4, 2016 at 2:50 pm Reason: Additional Info
Old Feb 5, 2016, 7:33 am

For me, weighing took place at check-in, where they attached the tag as well. Didn't notice them looking for/checking tags at the gate, and no weighing going on there either.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have seen them going around the gate at LAX hand-weighing the bags. I was told years ago that if the cabin crew finds a passenger with a big bag that they need to help the passenger stow because of weight, then they will put it in the report for the flight and the ground crew is held accountable.

I have not been subjected to this the last few years - in Y or in C. So, maybe the enforcement is somewhat relative? If the ground crew thinks the passenger can stow the bag fine, they don't bother?

I recently had a problem with AC out of the US. I had to put a bunch of my stuff in the computer bag to get the weight of the rollaboard down (they were weighing it at the *A Gold counter). Of course I put it all back in the rollaboard even before I past security
Old Feb 5, 2016, 9:43 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Am connecting in TPE from BR to BR so will stay airside. Do they check weight of carry on if you go from one gate to the next? If it will be weighed in TPE will have to load up my jacket pockets etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.