Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands
Reload this Page >

Does EVA offer buy up to Elite class from Economy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2015, 3:10 am
Original Poster

Does Eva Air offer buyups to their Elite class or Business class at the airport?

Thanks!
Old Sep 9, 2015, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA-P, and Chase-ing the sapphire dragon
Yes, but pretty painful. I think 2k one way from Y bump to RL.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 6:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by PacificStandTime
Yes, but pretty painful. I think 2k one way from Y bump to RL.
What currency? I'd happily pay that!
Old Sep 10, 2015, 11:42 pm

Elite != Royal Laurel
Old Sep 11, 2015, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Y->RL requires 2 fees. Just ask at the airport counter. It is very costly.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 12:13 am

Programs: UA-P, and Chase-ing the sapphire dragon
My experience, SIN-LAX a bump from Elite to RL (Business) was going to be 2,300 USD, suffice it to say, I did not lie flat on that flight back..... who knew being a penguin was so lucrative these days!
Old Sep 11, 2015, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by PacificStandTime
My experience, SIN-LAX a bump from Elite to RL (Business) was going to be 2,300 USD, suffice it to say, I did not lie flat on that flight back..... who knew being a penguin was so lucrative these days!
Cost benefit analysis. I love BR RL. I'd saw my own left arm off if that's what I had to do. My right hand is still available for the champagne
Old Sep 11, 2015, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I asked about TPE-LAX about 2 years ago, it was:

Y -> Elite = US$750
Elite -> RL = US$2,500

Double upgrades are allowed for US$3,250.

When I asked about TPE-IAH in July, it was even more. I thought I posted the numbers somewhere on FT but can't find it. The number US$3800 stuck in my mind.

I don't know - suffer for 12 hours and buy a lot of stuff with the savings, donate to charity, let the money grow in a retirement account?
Old Sep 11, 2015, 5:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by username

Y -> Elite = US$750
Elite -> RL = US$2,500

When I asked about TPE-IAH in July, it was even more. I thought I posted the numbers somewhere on FT but can't find it. The number US$3800 stuck in my mind.

I don't know - suffer for 12 hours and buy a lot of stuff with the savings, donate to charity, let the money grow in a retirement account?
To each their own. If that were $3800 CDN, maybe, that's pushing it. But $3800 USD on top of lowest fare... too much even for my blood
Old Feb 7, 2016, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by username

Y -> Elite = US$750
Elite -> RL = US$2,500

I'm surprised it's this much. I would have expected it to be around $1.2-1.5k for upgrade last minute for Elite-RL just to fill last minute seats if any remained.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 12:57 am
Suspended

EVA does not view it as last minute / filling-cabin upgrade. EVA is not United.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
lo
Originally Posted by Mlee888
I'm surprised it's this much. I would have expected it to be around $1.2-1.5k for upgrade last minute for Elite-RL just to fill last minute seats if any remained.
Because it is upfare but not upgrades, therefore you will get the class of service bonus as well.

Airlines in Asia don't care about if the seats are filled or not, if they can't, so be it, they don't need to fill every seats in order to make money, as if you didn't notice they don't release every single seats for awards neither. They strategy is to keep the high quality product rather than fill with low yield upgraders.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
lo

Because it is upfare but not upgrades, therefore you will get the class of service bonus as well.

Airlines in Asia don't care about if the seats are filled or not, if they can't, so be it, they don't need to fill every seats in order to make money, as if you didn't notice they don't release every single seats for awards neither. They strategy is to keep the high quality product rather than fill with low yield upgraders.

What's with the rolling eyes? It's a fair comment whether you agree with it or not.

I know airlines in Asia and in Europe do offer last minute price upgrades, for the extra seat to be taken in business class for $1.5k more is better than having an empty seat and this doesn't really have that much of an impact on service. An empty seat in economy is better than an empty seat in business. Just saying.
not2017 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 10:38 am

I'm wondering the same on Eva Air but from economy to elite (premium economy). Suppose I buy an economy seat, what is the cost to upgrade to elite? Or should I just go ahead and get the elite?
Old Mar 11, 2016, 7:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
If you book in advanced with an TA Elite class, you don't even have to worry about what the price is later on because you know it will only cost more to upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.