Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Checked baggage allowance on Eva TPE-HKG?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2015, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Checked baggage allowance on Eva TPE-HKG?

We're looking to redeem on aeroplan for travel in economy:

YYZ-TPE,

TPE-HKG,

HKG - YYZ;

For the short leg of TPE-HKG on Eva airline, what would be the checked baggage allowance?

In here it doesn't say:
http://www.evaair.com/en-us/check-in...on/allowances/

Thanks.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yscleo
It does say. Under: Itinerary including flights operated by other airlines (connection flights or codeshare flights). No?
Old Jun 8, 2015, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

But in the table it says
(To/From the US and Canada and certain countries in South and Central America.)

And the middle short leg is only within Asia. Or I'm not understanding it, and it still means we get 2 pieces each?
Old Jun 8, 2015, 6:06 pm

Programs: EVA Diamond, Hilton Gold, National Exec
But in the table it says

And the middle short leg is only within Asia. Or I'm not understanding it, and it still means we get 2 pieces each?
You are allowed 2 pieces @ 23kg per person. On a single EVA ticket, the longest flight (MSC) baggage allowance (YYZ-TPE) applies to all segments including TPE to Asian destinations.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But in the table it says

The Table tells you about EVA rules IF EVA's rules apply. The long paragraphs I directed you to tells you that EVA;s YYZ-TPE rules apply if the return trip is on the same ticket.

It is by international convention + US DOT + Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA) rules.

Originally Posted by asiadxer
You are allowed 2 pieces @ 23kg per person. On a single EVA ticket, the longest flight (MSC) baggage allowance (YYZ-TPE) applies to all segments including TPE to Asian destinations.
Yes, that is the outcome. My understanding of the rule is that the logic is that, based on CTA rules, which have been modified to align with US DOT rules, BR is OP's first marketing carrier (YYZ-TPE) and BR rule applies the entire journey (assuming both ways are on the same ticket).
Old Jun 8, 2015, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

But if in the first part YYA - TPE is not on BR, but other Star Alliance flights. It could be UA, TK, AC, etc. or combinations. BR may just be the TPE-HKG segment.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But if in the first part YYA - TPE is not on BR, but other Star Alliance flights. It could be UA, TK, AC, etc. or combinations. BR may just be the TPE-HKG segment.
You said YYZ-TPE without additional details. BR is the only carrier operating YYZ-TPE nonstop. So, that was the assumption those who tried to help you made. If it is any other carrier, their rules apply the entire reservation.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by username
You said YYZ-TPE without additional details. BR is the only carrier operating YYZ-TPE nonstop. So, that was the assumption those who tried to help you made. If it is any other carrier, their rules apply the entire reservation.
Sorry I wasn't clear about what carriers. I'm trying to find award seats, and unfortunately there isn't any BR flight available for reward seats for YYZ-TPE. There're a few combination of other carriers in the transpacific segments.

Only the middle short segment TPE - HKG is definitely BR.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 12:37 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Sorry I wasn't clear about what carriers. I'm trying to find award seats, and unfortunately there isn't any BR flight available for reward seats for YYZ-TPE. There're a few combination of other carriers in the transpacific segments.

Only the middle short segment TPE - HKG is definitely BR.
Pretty much goes by the MSC rule if you ticket the entire itn on one full ticket. At the bare minimum you will be allowed 20 kg on TPE-HKG.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by coolfish1103
Pretty much goes by the MSC rule if you ticket the entire itn on one full ticket. At the bare minimum you will be allowed 20 kg on TPE-HKG.
Ok, that's good to know. Pretty all the Star Alliance airlines will allow 2 pieces, 23kg, for the transpacific segments.

We wanted to go YYZ-TPE, but trying to add Phuket to the end. The aeroplan carrier surcharge is very high. So we were trying to see if going to HKG on the reward ticket to reduce the surcharge (almost US $500) , and then buy separate tickets HKG - BKK -HKT. But then we have to consider the luggage check-in charges in the HKG-BKK-HKT portion.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 8:12 pm

Ok, that's good to know. Pretty all the Star Alliance airlines will allow 2 pieces, 23kg, for the transpacific segments.

We wanted to go YYZ-TPE, but trying to add Phuket to the end. The aeroplan carrier surcharge is very high. So we were trying to see if going to HKG on the reward ticket to reduce the surcharge (almost US $500) , and then buy separate tickets HKG - BKK -HKT. But then we have to consider the luggage check-in charges in the HKG-BKK-HKT portion.
United allows only 1st piece free in economy. Never assume the allowance is the same across the board.

don't forget that by buying separate tickets, intra asia allowance uses the weight system and allowance is usually much lower. On the outbound, you might get lucky that your bag tags all the way and without the airline of your 2nd ticket asking a fee if over their limit at the destination of your award ticket.

On your way back, chances are slim to none that at HKT, the agent will apply the allowance of your award ticket.

Last edited by aznfreak007; Jun 10, 2015 at 8:23 pm
Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:24 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, DL Gold, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, WoH Explorist, Shangri-la Jade
Originally Posted by aznfreak007
United allows only 1st piece free in economy. Never assume the allowance is the same across the board.

don't forget that by buying separate tickets, intra asia allowance uses the weight system and allowance is usually much lower. On the outbound, you might get lucky that your bag tags all the way and without the airline of your 2nd ticket asking a fee if over their limit at the destination of your award ticket.

On your way back, chances are slim to none that at HKT, the agent will apply the allowance of your award ticket.
United allows 2 pieces free for economy to all Asian destinations EXCEPT HKG, China (PEK,PVG), and India for some reason (1 piece @ 23kg only). SIN, ICN, NRT, TPE, SGN, KIX, etc... all allow 2 pieces at 23kg each.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aznfreak007

Yap, good point about the lower allowance if buying intra-Asia flights.

Originally Posted by DreamHigh
United allows 2 pieces free for economy to all Asian destinations EXCEPT HKG, China (PEK,PVG), and India for some reason (1 piece @ 23kg only). SIN, ICN, NRT, TPE, SGN, KIX, etc... all allow 2 pieces at 23kg each.
Thanks. That's what I thought, 2 pieces YYZ - TPE. Wonder why it's only 1 piece to China and India. But I'm not complaining.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 11:50 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, DL Gold, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, WoH Explorist, Shangri-la Jade
Yap, good point about the lower allowance if buying intra-Asia flights.

Thanks. That's what I thought, 2 pieces YYZ - TPE. Wonder why it's only 1 piece to China and India. But I'm not complaining.
Yep, EVA will give you 2 pieces@23kg each in economy. Just be careful though, EVA check-in in Taipei and Toronto (from my experience) is quite strict with overweight bags. They are lenient up to around 1kg/2kg over, but not more. (Except that one time in Taipei, where I guess the check-in lady took pity on me, lugging around 5 high-school textbooks that are almost university-sized... she saved my back that day , only had to carry 1 textbook in my carry-on bag :P )

Last edited by DreamHigh; Jun 15, 2015 at 12:33 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.