Star Alliance Upgrade Award on EVA

Old Mar 25, 2019, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by neuro0
Wait list is only for IML member upgrade. That is, using BR miles only.

From what you state, the odd of getting a SAUA on those flights is not great.
Thanks for the info and not get my hopes up.

Was going to use the chance for upgrade as determining factor for whether to purchase B or V fare, but after look reviewing EVA's new IML program, it may still be worth it to purchase B fare for the seat selection and full mileage earning.

I read somewhere that people often check upgrade availability at T-72/48/24 hours, does that also apply to only IML members? And how would one check upgrade availability?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by XFer2
Thanks for the info and not get my hopes up.

Was going to use the chance for upgrade as determining factor for whether to purchase B or V fare, but after look reviewing EVA's new IML program, it may still be worth it to purchase B fare for the seat selection and full mileage earning.

I read somewhere that people often check upgrade availability at T-72/48/24 hours, does that also apply to only IML members? And how would one check upgrade availability?
Never done it but here is my take. I would book two separate reservations, 2 on one, 1 person on the other, to maximize upgrade chances. This way you can upgrade 1 person, or 2 people, or 3 people, depending on how much upgrade space becomes available. I would look to book on a day with multiple flights on the one with the lowest amount of Business seats booked. If you have miles in United you can fill out their online SAUA request and see if it goes through (and keep attempting this periodically). You can call EVA to ask how many seats are available for upgrade. Do not mention *A upgrade, either say IML upgrade or ask for how many Z Class seats are available.

EVA typically has released some award space at 10 days out and 7 days out, and sometimes even closer in than that. So, so long as there are plenty of seats left unsold in the cabin the chances are good that some will be released at some point within 10 days of departure. If you have a flex fare and you find space on a different flight the same day you can change your flight to get the upgrade. Some cities have two flights departing at almost the same time. You may end up finding 2 upgrades on one and 1 upgrade on another within a hour of each other.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Never done it but here is my take. I would book two separate reservations, 2 on one, 1 person on the other, to maximize upgrade chances. This way you can upgrade 1 person, or 2 people, or 3 people, depending on how much upgrade space becomes available. I would look to book on a day with multiple flights on the one with the lowest amount of Business seats booked. If you have miles in United you can fill out their online SAUA request and see if it goes through (and keep attempting this periodically). You can call EVA to ask how many seats are available for upgrade. Do not mention *A upgrade, either say IML upgrade or ask for how many Z Class seats are available.

EVA typically has released some award space at 10 days out and 7 days out, and sometimes even closer in than that. So, so long as there are plenty of seats left unsold in the cabin the chances are good that some will be released at some point within 10 days of departure. If you have a flex fare and you find space on a different flight the same day you can change your flight to get the upgrade. Some cities have two flights departing at almost the same time. You may end up finding 2 upgrades on one and 1 upgrade on another within a hour of each other.
Thanks for the suggestions. I went ahead and booked the flight with the most open business seats available, but didn't go as far as splitting the reservation. We have a kid so preferred to stay together even if it is in economy.

I'll call EVA on the suggested T-X day interval. I'm happy to report back if and when the upgrade goes through and on what fare code inventory, to contribute to the data points on this thread.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 5:44 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I went ahead and booked the flight with the most open business seats available, but didn't go as far as splitting the reservation. We have a kid so preferred to stay together even if it is in economy.

I'll call EVA on the suggested T-X day interval. I'm happy to report back if and when the upgrade goes through and on what fare code inventory, to contribute to the data points on this thread.
If you have enough United miles in your account (30k per person per segment you want to upgrade) you can try putting the request through the United SAUA request page as frequently as you want. That way you do not have to call so often. It won't tell you if space opens on a different flight but you can attempt the upgrade on the flight you are on without calling. If you call and find upgrade space on a different flight you can change your flight and then upgrade.

I would also keep checking award space on the flights with a united.com search. While award space is not the same as *A upgrade space (many times there is more upgrade than award space) if you see award space that is good indicator that upgrade space may be available.

Another suggestion would be to track for flights a few days before yours what time of day they release award space (united.com award search) at T-10 and T-7 because that may also be an indicator of what time of day they release upgrade space. I believe it is in the late evening / night PDT.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Just a quick question here... Trying to do a SAUA on the TPE-ORD flight this weekends, and it appears that although the flight is C9J9 (D0) and ~half of the RL seats are available, EVA air doesn’t want to release any D/Z/I seats. Both Economy and Premium Economy are zeroed out. I wonder whether there is any events this weekend in Taipei? Is it likely that they would release some more seats between now and flight departure? (Which is about T-72 now)
Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by shd9
Just a quick question here... Trying to do a SAUA on the TPE-ORD flight this weekends, and it appears that although the flight is C9J9 (D0) and ~half of the RL seats are available, EVA air doesn’t want to release any D/Z/I seats. Both Economy and Premium Economy are zeroed out. I wonder whether there is any events this weekend in Taipei? Is it likely that they would release some more seats between now and flight departure? (Which is about T-72 now)
End of a Spring Break week for some colleges in the US?
Old Mar 28, 2019, 11:51 am

If you have enough United miles in your account (30k per person per segment you want to upgrade) you can try putting the request through the United SAUA request page as frequently as you want. That way you do not have to call so often. It won't tell you if space opens on a different flight but you can attempt the upgrade on the flight you are on without calling. If you call and find upgrade space on a different flight you can change your flight and then upgrade.

I would also keep checking award space on the flights with a united.com search. While award space is not the same as *A upgrade space (many times there is more upgrade than award space) if you see award space that is good indicator that upgrade space may be available.

Another suggestion would be to track for flights a few days before yours what time of day they release award space (united.com award search) at T-10 and T-7 because that may also be an indicator of what time of day they release upgrade space. I believe it is in the late evening / night PDT.
Don't have enough miles in my account right now, but I'll probably transfer enough miles for the departure flight then if the upgrade clears, transfer another batch for the return trip. Called EVA last night it's still all waitlist for my flights.

I did get some data on the one flight on which the upgrade is available. As for last night (3/27):
  • BR 8 departing on 4/18 has 27 RL seats available (31% occupied)
  • EVA agents confirmed there are 8 upgrade seats available
  • EF showed upgrade award I is not available
  • EF showed D9 in fare availability
I'm probably fueling the Z vs. I debate, but I want to put more data points out there and everyone can reach their own conclusion.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by gengar
Consensus on FT is actually that SAUA availability is most likely linked to 'Z' class availability, not 'I' class. 'Z' class is not available on EF; you must call in to EVA to inquire. I have no experience with Z space opening up. If your travel dates are flexible, I would definitely seek to rebook to dates where you can confirm the upgrade now. There's little point IMO to paying a premium for B class and not confirming the upgrade immediately. Hopefully you are still within the refund window.
again- I had proved you are wrong in this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Don't have enough miles in my account right now, but I'll probably transfer enough miles for the departure flight then if the upgrade clears, transfer another batch for the return trip. Called EVA last night it's still all waitlist for my flights.

I did get some data on the one flight on which the upgrade is available. As for last night (3/27):
  • BR 8 departing on 4/18 has 27 RL seats available (31% occupied)
  • EVA agents confirmed there are 8 upgrade seats available
  • EF showed upgrade award I is not available
  • EF showed D9 in fare availability
I'm probably fueling the Z vs. I debate, but I want to put more data points out there and everyone can reach their own conclusion.
Again- my experience is without I- which I had posted video on.

It didn’t clear.

Old Mar 28, 2019, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by krispykrme

It didn’t clear.

I should probably clarify that BR 8 is NOT my targeted flight. I'm looking for BR 18/28 upgrade availability, but the only flight that has upgrade availability that day is BR 8. So there is no such thing as "It didn't clear" as I'm not trying to upgrade on that flight. But according to the EVA agent upgrade would not be an issue on BR 8 since there are 8 available.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by krispykrme

It didn’t clear.

Well great, now we have more data. Upgrade available, no "I" available. There are many factors involved. It's time to stop beating the dead horse and collect more data.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 1:27 pm

I should probably clarify that BR 8 is NOT my targeted flight. I'm looking for BR 18/28 upgrade availability, but the only flight that has upgrade availability that day is BR 8. So there is no such thing as "It didn't clear" as I'm not trying to upgrade on that flight. But according to the EVA agent upgrade would not be an issue on BR 8 since there are 8 available.
Maybe I misunderstood your original post. I thought your outbound was SFO-TPE but the flights you mention BR8/18/28 are TPE-SFO flights, are you originating in TPE and you are looking for upgrades on BR18/28 on 4/17 which are not available but BR8 on 4/18 upgrades are available?
Old Mar 28, 2019, 2:38 pm

Maybe I misunderstood your original post. I thought your outbound was SFO-TPE but the flights you mention BR8/18/28 are TPE-SFO flights, are you originating in TPE and you are looking for upgrades on BR18/28 on 4/17 which are not available but BR8 on 4/18 upgrades are available?
My outbound flight is on 4/11 SFO-TPE, 3 flights that day and all of them have a wait list for upgrade. Return flight is on 4/18 TPE-SFO. BR 8 has upgrade availability, but unfortunately that is the only flight I cannot take as it is on the morning of my grandmother's birthday lunch. The two evening flights also have a wait list for upgrade.

I was hoping that by providing the data on what IS available, and perhaps as more seats are sold and the upgrade availability dwindles, we can deduce when upgrade availability disappears. I am a researcher so my professional tendency is to plot the upgrade availability against 1) days to departure, 2) number of open seats available, and 3) Z or I availability (but this is not entirely visible to us) and see if there is an intersection of these factors where upgrade would or would not be available, even if it's anecdotal evidence. Okay enough nerd talk from me.

Last edited by XFer2; Mar 28, 2019 at 3:32 pm
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:12 pm

My outbound flight is on 4/11 SFO-TPE, 3 flights that day and all of them have a wait list for upgrade. Return flight is on 4/18 TPE-SFO. BR 8 has upgrade availability, but unfortunately that is the only flight I cannot take as it is on the morning of my grandmother's birthday lunch. The two evening flights also have a wait list for upgrade.

I was hoping that by providing the data on what IS available, and perhaps as more seats are sold and the upgrade availability dwindles, we can deduce when upgrade availability disappears. I am a researcher so my professional tendency is to plot the upgrade availability against 1) days to departure, 2) number of open seats available, and 3) Z or I availability (but this is not entirely visible to us) and see if there is an intersection of these factors where upgrade would or would not be available, even if it's anecdotal evidence. Okay enough nerd talk from me.
I'm on BR27 SFO-TPE on 4/11. What a coincidence if you're on the same flight. I was able to upgrade from Economy B to RL a few months ago when I booked my flight.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:16 pm

Does booking early (i.e.: T-330days or whenever tickets first open) increase the odds of SAUA accepting?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.