FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/eva-air-infinity-mileagelands-761/)
-   -   Star Alliance Upgrade Award on EVA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/eva-air-infinity-mileagelands/1673701-star-alliance-upgrade-award-eva.html)

kuofrumdnj May 8, 2020 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by gengar (Post 32358715)
I'm unfamiliar with the specific error code, but be aware that award space is not upgrade space on BR. For SAUA, you need to check with BR for "Z" bucket availability. It isn't shown on the BR (or UA) website, so you need to call in. UA website will show BR straight awards, which is BR "I" bucket that has been made available to partners.

Thanks for the pointer! I've been using UA's award availability as a proxy, but after reading your post, I did call EVA to check. The lady said there's 5 in the Z space! So looks like also plenty available. Still not sure why the error still coming up. Just tried again, and same result.

Think I should ask this in the general SAUA thread?

Thanks again,

bocastephen May 8, 2020 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by kuofrumdnj (Post 32359826)
Thanks for the pointer! I've been using UA's award availability as a proxy, but after reading your post, I did call EVA to check. The lady said there's 5 in the Z space! So looks like also plenty available. Still not sure why the error still coming up. Just tried again, and same result.

Think I should ask this in the general SAUA thread?

Thanks again,

What information are you putting in the online form - can you show a screenshot of each field where you are entering information? If you enter too much, it will sometimes error out.

silent129 May 9, 2020 8:48 am

I've been having similar issues trying to book flights on the United website, and have even called into UA 1k to ask them to book, but they aren't able to ticket the itinerary even if it shows as available on the UA website. Frustrating!

Boringbarry May 9, 2020 9:44 am

has anyone had issues with getting refunded the points for SAUA? I had a flight which got canceled due to covid, and got refunded the cash but don't see the points in my account.

kuofrumdnj May 9, 2020 10:46 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 32360258)
What information are you putting in the online form - can you show a screenshot of each field where you are entering information? If you enter too much, it will sometimes error out.

Thanks for this suggestion, you are a genius. IT WORKED!!!!! I will detail what I did below, perhaps this may help others.

To answer your initial question, I've been filling out everything, my wife & my name, our ticket number, frequent flier (i put in our UA's), EVA's confirmation #...etc. Essentially all that can be filled out, I filled them in.

After reading your comment, I went back to my browser and deleted everything that is Optional, essentially only leaving our names, departing & arriving airport, date, airline, and flight number. Usually, before I click submit, I would open United on another tab to sign in, as the website auto-logs me out after a few minutes. This time, I forgot to do that and after submitting, I actually was able to proceed to the next step where it shows that indeed there is upgrade availability! I was too excited at this point, as I've been trying for a few days without success, so I went ahead and click confirm, without remembering to log back in, and of course on the next screen, the website prompts me to log in. After doing so, it went back to the blank SAUA form. So no go yet! I was able to replicate this by "manually" signing out in another tab after initially signing in & completing the form. But in the end, even when I do sign back in before I click confirm, the page always take me back to the blank SAUA page.

What finally worked, for whatever reason, is entering my EVA FF information (I've been putting in my UA's before) while leaving everything else bare minimum. That worked immediately and I was able to confirm this on EVA's website and select our seats.

Thanks again for the huge help and inspiration!

kuofrumdnj May 9, 2020 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Boringbarry (Post 32361303)
has anyone had issues with getting refunded the points for SAUA? I had a flight which got canceled due to covid, and got refunded the cash but don't see the points in my account.

for my current flight, I had to initially change the return date, and thus the outbound, which I was able to successfully upgrade previously, had to be cancelled. The points did not show up automatically in my United account even after waiting 4 days. After several calls to UA, was finally connected to a supervisor at MileagePlus who had to fill out a form or request that goes to "HQ" per her to put the points back manually in my account. She said it may take 5-7 business days to process, but I checked 2 days later, the points are back. It was a major PITA, but they did eventually come back.

Boringbarry May 10, 2020 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by kuofrumdnj (Post 32361449)
for my current flight, I had to initially change the return date, and thus the outbound, which I was able to successfully upgrade previously, had to be cancelled. The points did not show up automatically in my United account even after waiting 4 days. After several calls to UA, was finally connected to a supervisor at MileagePlus who had to fill out a form or request that goes to "HQ" per her to put the points back manually in my account. She said it may take 5-7 business days to process, but I checked 2 days later, the points are back. It was a major PITA, but they did eventually come back.

thanks for sharing. Seems kinda strange to me that you'd have to bug UA about it rather than EVA taking care of it

gengar May 11, 2020 1:26 am

Originally Posted by Boringbarry (Post 32365038)
thanks for sharing. Seems kinda strange to me that you'd have to bug UA about it rather than EVA taking care of it

They're UA miles, so you have to deal with UA. All that's happening is UA is applying a SAUA to a BR ticket; it's not like the miles are being transferred over to BR or anything.

Namna_Banana May 11, 2020 12:15 pm

So glad!

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to say thank you everyone for your kind advise.

I stumble upon FT back in 2016 when I was doing research on how to upgrade my EVA flight using chase points I have accumulated.

At the time points and miles is so new to me (and still is) and English being my second language I would spend most of my free time reading up treads and answers trying to understand how the process works and thanks to you guys, I was able to upgraded my to ticket and had an amazing experience on my first premium cabin.

My husband and I are planing to go back to Thailand again and seeing a post about United is no longer upgrading their partners ticket (but I guess they still do) I got really nervous since that’s the only way I know how to upgrade using my chase points. I get back on FT trying to figure out how else to do it and so glad I found this thread again!

I just want you guys to know you guys are appreciated and I know there are a lot of newbies like me whom forever thankful for all the advises and answers :-)

Dave510 May 13, 2020 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Namna_Banana (Post 32366640)
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to say thank you everyone for your kind advise.

I stumble upon FT back in 2016 when I was doing research on how to upgrade my EVA flight using chase points I have accumulated.

At the time points and miles is so new to me (and still is) and English being my second language I would spend most of my free time reading up treads and answers trying to understand how the process works and thanks to you guys, I was able to upgraded my to ticket and had an amazing experience on my first premium cabin.

My husband and I are planing to go back to Thailand again and seeing a post about United is no longer upgrading their partners ticket (but I guess they still do) I got really nervous since that’s the only way I know how to upgrade using my chase points. I get back on FT trying to figure out how else to do it and so glad I found this thread again!

I just want you guys to know you guys are appreciated and I know there are a lot of newbies like me whom forever thankful for all the advises and answers :-)

Nice to see you again Namna, and glad to hear your trip went well.

Namna_Banana May 13, 2020 1:06 pm

Hi Dave!

Hi Dave!

So glad to hear from you! My trip went very well, it was definitely an experience of a life time for me and thanks to you!

That being said, now I would love for my husband to have the same experience so here I am, back doing research again :- )

I will be around this tread more often asking more questions I’m sure! The process of trying to score the seats is totally nerve wrecking for me.

Dave510 May 13, 2020 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Namna_Banana (Post 32372410)
Hi Dave!

So glad to hear from you! My trip went very well, it was definitely an experience of a life time for me and thanks to you!

That being said, now I would love for my husband to have the same experience so here I am, back doing research again :- )

I will be around this tread more often since asking more questions I’m sure! The previews of trying to score the seats is totally nerve wrecking for me.

Definitely stick around, lots of very knowledgeable and helpful people here. I started off lurking here too!

It should be easier than it sounds, even given how chaotic things are these days.

BJE Jun 5, 2020 9:57 pm

Anyone has any idea about SAUA recently? I called EVA yesterday to change my ticket for July and they told me that the date I had booked didn't have any SAUA available, but that some other dates had availability. When she told me that there were around 7~8 in Business, so I thought maybe if I waited for the number to go down I might be successful. Today I checked and there were a few less and I thought it would work, but it still didn't. I'm curious as how many SAUA do they release for each flight? 1, 2 or 3? Thanks!

Namna_Banana Jun 6, 2020 2:36 pm

Miles requirement.

Hi!

I’ve been trying to find out about miles requirement to upgrade my flights but the only chart I found is from 2018.

Does anyone know if it’s still 30,000 for transpacific and 15,000 for transatlantic ?

SFO-BKK.

Thank you so much!

*I’m so sorry I think I found the answer but I’m not sure how to delete my post :-p

bocastephen Jun 11, 2020 9:53 pm

Has anyone successfully applied a SAUA recently? Or is BR locking down inventory and letting seats go out empty? I need to send my father in law back to Taipei next week and I am curious if it's still an option especially with limited flights now.

timpolti1 Jun 18, 2020 10:31 pm

Asiana Diamond Club

I like to upgrade Paris to Taipei.
Premium-Eco to Business Class

Which Premium-Eco do I originally have to book ? Would the basic Tarif be enough ?

How many Asiana Miles would be necessary to redeem such an upgrade (one-way) ?
Rhe Asiana Webcam doesn’t show any SA upgrade awards from premium Eco to Business (just Eco>Bus and Bus>First) ...

thank you

gengar Jun 19, 2020 2:01 am

Originally Posted by timpolti1 (Post 32468305)

Which Premium-Eco do I originally have to book ? Would the basic Tarif be enough ?

Rhe Asiana Webcam doesn’t show any SA upgrade awards from premium Eco to Business (just Eco>Bus and Bus>First) ...

thank you

Y/B fare (economy) is sufficient for SAUA on BR.

Some FFPs make certain additional fare buckets on certain carriers available for SAUA - and these additional fare buckets may include PE buckets - but the mileage required is typically the same.

hlee628 Jun 19, 2020 1:09 pm

thank you

EVA also opens up Premium Eco "K" fares to SA upgrades. Not a great deal usually since Y/B economy qualify with the same mileage usually. However, if you want to guarantee yourself a Premium Eco seat in the case that there is no Royal Laurel availability, that might be a decent way to go.

skimthetrees Jun 19, 2020 5:52 pm

thank you

According to this table Asiana only allows upgrades from economy Y or B classes to business. No entry for upgrades from PE to Biz although you might call and ask since United does allow SAUA on BR from PE K class so perhaps it's just an omission on the Asiana website?:
https://flyasiana.com/C/US/EN/conten...e-seat-upgrade

If I am reading it correctly it would be 38,000 miles to upgrade economy Y/B to business for your route but as mentioned I do not see that Asian supports PE to business.

twkidM3 Aug 1, 2020 3:01 pm

Trying to get from SFO to TPE.
Found K class on EVA website and through Chase Ultimate rewards.
Was wondering how many miles each way to upgrade using United MP?
Seems like I need to call Eva to make sure they have SAUA before attempting to book?

hayzel7773 Aug 1, 2020 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by twkidM3 (Post 32574587)
Seems like I need to call Eva to make sure they have SAUA before attempting to book?

You aren’t going to get any SAUA right now. IML members can’t even get regular upgrades; they are stuck on the waitlist. Based on their current GDS filings, SAUA and regular upgrades are basically zero’ed out till the end of the year. They are simply processing IML waitlists as the departure date approaches, assuming they want to give an upgrade.

BR has zero desire to offer SAUA, as they are currently selling mainly full fares at egregious upcharges because they know most people that are traveling with them during COVID desperately need to.

bocastephen Aug 1, 2020 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by twkidM3 (Post 32574587)

There will be no SAUA at least through the end of 2020, and possibly into 2021 depending on the market at that time.

skimthetrees Aug 2, 2020 2:56 am

I do see a few days with "I" class business awards available in the next couple of months. We all know I class does not equate exactly to SAUA availability but I would suspect it is not beyond the realm of possibility that if there are s few days with "I" class that there may be a few, not necessarily congruent, days with SAUA availability and if I needed to to travel it would certainly be worth it to check.

bocastephen Aug 2, 2020 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees (Post 32575513)
I do see a few days with "I" class business awards available in the next couple of months. We all know I class does not equate exactly to SAUA availability but I would suspect it is not beyond the realm of possibility that if there are s few days with "I" class that there may be a few, not necessarily congruent, days with SAUA availability and if I needed to to travel it would certainly be worth it to check.

While it's entirely possible, in my conversations with my EVA corporate contacts, there will be no SAUA availability and their own members go on the waitlist for airport clearance. If you decide to take a chance, make sure you refund the ticket if the upgrade does not clear when you run your host airline's upgrade tool.

pbd456 Mar 4, 2021 7:33 am

Any update on SA upgrade, also, if the upgrade clear, does the mileage for the original booking class posted correctly? Thanks.

bocastephen Mar 4, 2021 11:54 am

Originally Posted by pbd456 (Post 33076612)
Any update on SA upgrade, also, if the upgrade clear, does the mileage for the original booking class posted correctly? Thanks.

while the original fare basis will post to your home airlines account, from my understanding through my EVA contacts, *A upgrades are unavailable indefinitely.

pbd456 Mar 4, 2021 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 33077270)
while the original fare basis will post to your home airlines account, from my understanding through my EVA contacts, *A upgrades are unavailable indefinitely.

Thank you. I wonder how full are the flights these days?

bocastephen Mar 4, 2021 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by pbd456 (Post 33078340)
Thank you. I wonder how full are the flights these days?

Not full at all - but they are charging full fare for upgrades which must be bought at the airport. Only EVA members can standby for free upgrades using their miles.

Namna_Banana Oct 21, 2021 4:08 pm

Update

Hi everyone I’m back with more questions :-p

I’ve been calling EVA checking for Z bucket availability in February(outbound) and March(inbound) SFO-BKK.

Although, they’re able to tell me that there is availability for outbound flight but they can’t see anything for the March retuning flight and can’t tell me how many seats available.

Do you guys know how early do they release the seat and should I go ahead and at least snatch the outbound seats and keep trying for inbound?

Thanks!

Dave510 Oct 21, 2021 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Namna_Banana (Post 33664116)
Hi everyone I’m back with more questions :-p

I’ve been calling EVA checking for Z bucket availability in February(outbound) and March(inbound) SFO-BKK.

Although, they’re able to tell me that there is availability for outbound flight but they can’t see anything for the March retuning flight and can’t tell me how many seats available.

Do you guys know how early do they release the seat and should I go ahead and at least snatch the outbound seats and keep trying for inbound?

Thanks!

Given all the uncertainty due to the pandemic, previous experiences probably won't be very helpful until things return to some approximation of normal. Depending on your cancellation policy, I'd definitely snatch the seats now and see how things unfold.

Namna_Banana Oct 21, 2021 6:04 pm

Hi Dave! Thank you Dave!

Namna_Banana Oct 21, 2021 6:07 pm

I can cancel the ticket within 24 hours. Im not sure if I should wait until the 1st to see they they will release information for the month of March but also don’t want to miss out on the outbound seats. Wish I can afford to just buy it out right so I don’t have to go through this headache every time I plan a trip lol

also I kept getting this when trying to enter the upgrade page on United.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...fd73879a92.png

sof_lance Feb 13, 2022 1:29 pm

deleted

krtz May 8, 2022 12:41 am

Hi! I don't know if I'm reviving a dead thread but was wondering if anyone knows if SA upgrade availability are back at this time. Plan on booking a SFO-TPE-CEB flight for December and was wondering if I can do upgrade via United miles after reading through this thread. I understand a while back because of the pandemic upgrade availability have been zero. Thanks in advance!

claimui Jun 28, 2022 9:43 am

Can't speak for SA upgrade availability, but I have recently been successful with both an IML upgrade (EVA miles) and an SA award ticket (ANA miles) for TPE/LAX in December and January.

On this note, are there any particularly good values to be gained from SA upgrades now? For North America flights, EVA's IML program allows upgrading from class L/T (Premium Economy Standard) for 35k. I believe L/T tickets are actually sometimes cheaper than B/Y -- or at least they used to be. Meanwhile, I assume United still requires 30k miles for the same upgrade (and requires booking B/Y or the more expensive K). Understand that Aeroplan used to only require 25k miles, but it seems they have discontinued SA upgrades indefinitely. All that considered, I'd probably just stick with upgrades through EVA's own program.

Wonchie Aug 22, 2022 6:11 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 32576437)
While it's entirely possible, in my conversations with my EVA corporate contacts, there will be no SAUA availability and their own members go on the waitlist for airport clearance. If you decide to take a chance, make sure you refund the ticket if the upgrade does not clear when you run your host airline's upgrade tool.

What programs or how do I upgrade my B economy class ticket to business on EVA flight from YYZ to ICN?

bocastephen Aug 22, 2022 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Wonchie (Post 34534968)
What programs or how do I upgrade my B economy class ticket to business on EVA flight from YYZ to ICN?

Are you a *A frequent flyer member with sufficient miles to cover the upgrade fee?

Wonchie Aug 22, 2022 11:56 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 34535817)
Are you a *A frequent flyer member with sufficient miles to cover the upgrade fee?

not with EVA. I have Aeropoints and I have 25K elite status with Air Canada. I am so confused because travel of prince team said that I can use my Aeropoints to upgrade and now I find out it's useless for EVA.

Dave510 Aug 22, 2022 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Wonchie (Post 34535841)
not with EVA. I have Aeropoints and I have 25K elite status with Air Canada. I am so confused because travel of prince team said that I can use my Aeropoints to upgrade and now I find out it's useless for EVA.

The SAUA is not available using Aeroplan atm, but I believe it is available if you have United miles. The current plan is for SAUA to be re-implemented "next year", but given how the date keeps slipping, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Wonchie Aug 22, 2022 7:29 pm

Can I convert AP to UN miles so that I can use it to upgrade EVA tickets?