Star Alliance Upgrade Award on EVA

Old Feb 14, 19, 9:07 pm

I use BR from SFO, LAX, and occasionally YVR gateways. Almost always with SAUA. Just got off BR 17 from SFO this morning. I used SAUA, which I made three days before. I was only checking SFO and LAX around this week, but it seemed like there was average availability.
Old Feb 17, 19, 9:43 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Star Alliance
Does BR open up avaibility close to the date?

theres a whole section in J that's empty and I'm deciding on buying my Y tickets soon. But EF shows no avaibility for upgrades...

more than 15+ seats are in open and I'm scared to pay for flex fare to not get any upgrade with points through AC SAUA.
Old Feb 17, 19, 11:44 pm

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by 1337wafflez View Post
Does BR open up avaibility close to the date?

theres a whole section in J that's empty and I'm deciding on buying my Y tickets soon. But EF shows no avaibility for upgrades...

more than 15+ seats are in open and I'm scared to pay for flex fare to not get any upgrade with points through AC SAUA.
BR does open up more seats as time gets closer.
Usually I see availability at 4am pst
Old Feb 20, 19, 5:21 am

Programs: IML Gold, SPG100, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by krispykrme View Post
Only I-class will SAUA clear. You can only verify this via UA website or expertflyer.

I just attempted a SAUA on a B ticket. Before booking I checked expertflyer (shows I as >1 available), UA (available) and Aeroplan (available), and for good measure, Award Nexus search for 2 seats = available.

After ticketing, I was shocked to see "upgrade not available" on both AC and UA site.

I've probably upgraded a dozen SAUA tickets in the last few years and only today ran into the problem. Was wondering if there are any suggestions as to how I can go at it? I was going to try calling BR and AC but usually I have relatively low hope for phone agents being able to nudge the inventory. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by buylowsellhigh; Feb 20, 19 at 5:26 am
Old Feb 20, 19, 5:35 am

Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
Originally Posted by buylowsellhigh View Post
I just attempted a SAUA on a B ticket. Before booking I checked expertflyer (shows I as >1 available), UA (available) and Aeroplan (available), and for good measure, Award Nexus search for 2 seats = available.

After ticketing, I was shocked to see "upgrade not available" on both AC and UA site.
Did you not check Z inventory?
Old Feb 20, 19, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by gengar View Post
Did you not check Z inventory?
Nope... I've always checked "I" and successfully upgraded many times when I saw this available. But it does seems like there are different data points presented by different members.

In either case, I've called BR's US service center to look for flights with available "Z" space ... paid the $50 change fee, and successfully upgraded.

The miles and points game is ever changing....
Old Feb 20, 19, 2:26 pm
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BR Diamond, B6 Mosaic
I hate this thread!

All these data points and I'm still not sure what to do.
east_west likes this.
Old Feb 20, 19, 4:14 pm

Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
Nope... I've always checked "I" and successfully upgraded many times when I saw this available. But it does seems like there are different data points presented by different members.
To be clear, there's only one member who has ever claimed that "I" inventory guarantees SAUA availability. All the other data points (from 9 FT members) suggest that it is more likely "Z" inventory. Sorry that you got burned out of $50.

If you can verify that for the flight you could not upgrade, that Z=0, that would provide more clarity.
Dave510 likes this.
Old Feb 20, 19, 4:33 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG, BR, CX, Aeroplan
To be clear, there's only one member who has ever claimed that "I" inventory guarantees SAUA availability. All the other data points (from 9 FT members) suggest that it is more likely "Z" inventory. Sorry that you got burned out of $50.

If you can verify that for the flight you could not upgrade, that Z=0, that would provide more clarity.
Not to unduly discount the data point provided by the other member, but going by the number of members who have success with checking Z rather than I availability (9 vs 1), we can at least say that checking Z is a much better bet than I, even if neither are a 100% guarantee.
Old Feb 20, 19, 5:06 pm

The US-based customer service said Z=0 on the flight where I=2+

When I asked about the different flight, she said both Z and I had space. This was the one I was successfully able to upgrade.

In the past, I actually never called, always base it on AC/UA/AN's Z availability. I'm guessing maybe I just got lucky 10-20 times because in those times both Z AND I had availability and in this instance, only one had it but not the other.

Maybe just that at some point in time, they split SAUA and redemption flights into two different buckets.
Old Feb 23, 19, 3:17 am

In an interesting twist of luck... Was doing two more SAUA's for March... and had mixed results:
  • Z=4 I=Yes Upgrade Available
  • Z=9 I=Yes Upgrade not Available
Maybe it has to do with the system being changed, but fortunately no change fee so it gives me a bit more flexibility to poke around.
Old Feb 23, 19, 4:43 am

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum

I've probably upgraded a dozen SAUA tickets in the last few years and only today ran into the problem. Was wondering if there are any suggestions as to how I can go at it? I was going to try calling BR and AC but usually I have relatively low hope for phone agents being able to nudge the inventory. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Usually that happens when UA system has a glitch and I inventory would disappear even though it shows available on the award page. Or someone has just taken that space.

After couple hours it should be able to book. I had seen this before. But it would clear after couple hours and you can try again. I space would all of the sudden disappeared and reappear again. My experience is that I would check I space on UA own site as well expertflyer. Then book the SAUA upgrade. In few rare cases- it would say that no upgrade despite expert flyer say I available. Usually happens when UA website slows down. Then you check the UA award space again- I class would miraculously disappeared. Wait couple hours- it would show up again. This has happened to me when UA website has issues. I suspect that while performing the SAUA upgrade it would lock up the I space but glitch prevented UA side complete transaction. But it will eventually release the I space back out and should be bookable.

Last edited by krispykrme; Feb 23, 19 at 4:51 am
Old Feb 23, 19, 8:18 pm

Z=9 I=Yes Upgrade not Available
The phone rep actually told you Z9?
Old Feb 23, 19, 10:21 pm

Unless someone booked all of the available Z seats, BR is definitely playing with inventory. I know that UA can see only 'i' but BR's gave me some available dates for March. Now, within a span of ~12 hrs everything is gone and shows unavailable.
Old Feb 24, 19, 1:57 am

The phone rep actually told you Z9?
Yeah, two different reps within an hour of one another. I thought 9 seats sounded a bit high.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: