Star Alliance Upgrade Award on EVA

Old Jan 26, 2020, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by gengar
According to what's been posted by other FT'ers, X isn't even a business class bucket - so I don't know why it would be discussed here.

There are also ~20 data points supplied by more than 10 different FT'ers who were successful in applying SAUA when I=0, so it's just silly at this point to suggest that I fare bucket availability is a necessary condition for SAUA.
​​​​​
This. I would say that BR seeing Z availability for it's it' program is the only thing that is a precondition for SAUA availability. If BR doesn't show availability, you can forget about it. If BR does have availability, then *maybe* there's SAUA upgrade space available - depending on how full the Y and J cabin are.
​​
Old Feb 20, 2020, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by sklin88
or it might be because EVA Air somehow block Aeroplan vice versa (Aeroplan blocked EVA Air) for BR35/BR36 YYZ-TPE flights

Cause I called twice to confirm Z class has more than 5 seat for 3 different days, in both cases, went back to Aeroplan website within 30 seconds to complete the upgrade, No seat is available.in Aeroplan's website. (Obviously I booked B class already)
Did you pay two change fees to try the 3 different days?

Just curious.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 2:06 am

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by pete.th
​​​​​
This. I would say that BR seeing Z availability for it's it' program is the only thing that is a precondition for SAUA availability. If BR doesn't show availability, you can forget about it. If BR does have availability, then *maybe* there's SAUA upgrade space available - depending on how full the Y and J cabin are.
​​
Correct Z doesnt guarantee SAUA.

But I- class on UA does.

this is from 2 weeks ago

Originally K

I- class availability confirmed on UA app

SAUA applied

Clear into Z
Old Feb 22, 2020, 11:42 am

Programs: SkyPesos -> MVP Gold 100K
Hi Folks,

Quick question...have a confirmed upgrade on Z using UA miles. If I do a flight change, I assume the SAUA gets cancelled, mileage returned back to UA account, then I'd have to resubmit the SAUA for the new flight segment? (aka. no guarantee you'll be able to get a confirmed upgrade)?

Thanks!
Old Feb 22, 2020, 12:11 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by secretalcoholic
Hi Folks,

Quick question...have a confirmed upgrade on Z using UA miles. If I do a flight change, I assume the SAUA gets cancelled, mileage returned back to UA account, then I'd have to resubmit the SAUA for the new flight segment? (aka. no guarantee you'll be able to get a confirmed upgrade)?

Thanks!
Thats correct.
secretalcoholic likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do the miles go back to the UA automatically? How fast does it happen? Since UA does not see the BR PNR, I wonder how it works.

Does UA charge any redeposit fees (for non-1K/GS) when the confirmed SAUA reservation is cancelled?

Thanks.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 11:14 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by username
Do the miles go back to the UA automatically? How fast does it happen? Since UA does not see the BR PNR, I wonder how it works.

Does UA charge any redeposit fees (for non-1K/GS) when the confirmed SAUA reservation is cancelled?

Thanks.
It should automatically redeposit within 24 to 48 hours. I'm not aware of any redeposit fees if you cancel the flight segment (but my main program is Aeroplan so would appreciate if anyone could affirm this, or correct me).
Old Feb 23, 2020, 10:51 am
BJE

Originally Posted by Dave510
It should automatically redeposit within 24 to 48 hours. I'm not aware of any redeposit fees if you cancel the flight segment (but my main program is Aeroplan so would appreciate if anyone could affirm this, or correct me).
I use Asiana and the points were redeposited instantaneously every time I had to cancel with EVA Air. I was never charged any redeposit fees either.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by username
Does UA charge any redeposit fees (for non-1K/GS) when the confirmed SAUA reservation is cancelled.
My recollection is yes, but I'd love to be remembering wrong.

Asking on the UA forum may yield more responses.

Last edited by gengar; Feb 24, 2020 at 1:44 pm
Old Feb 24, 2020, 1:45 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
My recollection is yes, but I'd love to be remembering wrong.

Asking on the UA forum may yield more responses.
I don't think so. I have updated my flight and parent's flights multiple times before. No redeposit charge has ever been made.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 8:59 pm

Hello Anyone know that if I purchase eva airline from SEA to Hong kong. B class.
How many UA points, I can upgrade to business class?
I have a little bit confused. Is it 30,000 or 35,000 point one way
Is it SEA to TEP is 30,000?

Thank you for your help
Old Mar 17, 2020, 10:40 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by missurky
Hello Anyone know that if I purchase eva airline from SEA to Hong kong. B class.
How many UA points, I can upgrade to business class?
I have a little bit confused. Is it 30,000 or 35,000 point one way
Is it SEA to TEP is 30,000?

Thank you for your help
EVA B class is eligible for a Star Alliance upgrade award so long is it is not booked as a codeshare (must have an EVA flight number). EVA must have SAUA space available for the award to clear.

The last time United published an award chart it was 30,000 miles per passenger per segment one-way. So, SEA-TPE would be 30,000 miles to upgrade. TPE-HKG would be another 30,000 if you wanted to upgrade that segment. Most folks just upgrade the TPAC segment, SEA-TPE in your case.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
EVA B class is eligible for a Star Alliance upgrade award so long is it is not booked as a codeshare (must have an EVA flight number). EVA must have SAUA space available for the award to clear.

The last time United published an award chart it was 30,000 miles per passenger per segment one-way. So, SEA-TPE would be 30,000 miles to upgrade. TPE-HKG would be another 30,000 if you wanted to upgrade that segment. Most folks just upgrade the TPAC segment, SEA-TPE in your case.
Hello,
Thank you for your asked. so if the airticket is from Seattle to HKG (1 stop Taiwan an hour to change the flight to HKG). I need 60,000 miles to upgrade?
Or I just need 30,000 miles from SEA TO HKG? I won't stay at Taiwan. so it is depends on the trip or on the flight that I take?

Thanks again
Old Mar 17, 2020, 11:54 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by missurky
Hello,
Thank you for your asked. so if the airticket is from Seattle to HKG (1 stop Taiwan an hour to change the flight to HKG). I need 60,000 miles to upgrade?
Or I just need 30,000 miles from SEA TO HKG? I won't stay at Taiwan. so it is depends on the trip or on the flight that I take?

Thanks again
SAUA is done by segment. It is possible to apply SAUA to just one segment; it is not a requirement to apply for both segments of a single ticket.

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
IIRC TPE-HKG should be North Asia to South Asia which should be 15k? I could be remembering wrong or an old chart.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:50 am

Programs: UA, AS
SAUA is done by segment. It is possible to apply SAUA to just one segment; it is not a requirement to apply for both segments of a single ticket.

IIRC TPE-HKG should be North Asia to South Asia which should be 15k? I could be remembering wrong or an old chart.
You are absolutely right! I looked it up on the old chart. It is 30k to upgrade SEA-TPE and 15k to upgrade TPE-HKG.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.