Star Alliance Upgrade Award on EVA

Old Jan 10, 20, 11:29 pm
  #286  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: home since March
Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
Posts: 5,429
Originally Posted by OccasionallyFlying View Post
Sorry if this has been answered already but I wasn't able to find an answer online.

If you do a SAUA with Eva Air, do you still earn *A mileage from that ticket?
You should still earn whatever the original ticket (as if not upgraded) would have earned.
OccasionallyFlying likes this.
gengar is offline  
Old Jan 10, 20, 11:54 pm
  #287  
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: YVR/ICN
Programs: OZ Gold *S
Posts: 67
Originally Posted by gengar View Post
You should still earn whatever the original ticket (as if not upgraded) would have earned.
Thank you so much for the clarification!
OccasionallyFlying is offline  
Old Jan 10, 20, 11:55 pm
  #288  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: YYZ
Programs: Marriott/SPG, BR, CX, Aeroplan
Posts: 519
Originally Posted by OccasionallyFlying View Post
Sorry if this has been answered already but I wasn't able to find an answer online.

If you do a SAUA with Eva Air, do you still earn *A mileage from that ticket?
Edit: Mistake, did not see that there was another page and it was already answered.
OccasionallyFlying likes this.
Dave510 is offline  
Old Jan 11, 20, 8:50 am
  #289  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 65
Originally Posted by sklin88 View Post
This is what happen to me 2 days ago... called EVA in Tapei, confirm Z class available more than 5, came back to Aeroplan to upgrade, not available...
so perhaps I should assume there might be some wrong with Aeroplan's upgrade system?
From my experience yes. Availability is not showing on Aeroplan despite Lifemiles showing it. I also ran into a lot of "general technical failure" messages on the Aeroplan booking engine as well.
pete.th is offline  
Old Jan 11, 20, 8:50 pm
  #290  
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by pete.th View Post
From my experience yes. Availability is not showing on Aeroplan despite Lifemiles showing it. I also ran into a lot of "general technical failure" messages on the Aeroplan booking engine as well.
or it might be because EVA Air somehow block Aeroplan vice versa (Aeroplan blocked EVA Air) for BR35/BR36 YYZ-TPE flights

Cause I called twice to confirm Z class has more than 5 seat for 3 different days, in both cases, went back to Aeroplan website within 30 seconds to complete the upgrade, No seat is available.in Aeroplan's website. (Obviously I booked B class already)
sklin88 is offline  
Old Jan 11, 20, 10:53 pm
  #291  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 222
Originally Posted by sklin88 View Post
or it might be because EVA Air somehow block Aeroplan vice versa (Aeroplan blocked EVA Air) for BR35/BR36 YYZ-TPE flights

Cause I called twice to confirm Z class has more than 5 seat for 3 different days, in both cases, went back to Aeroplan website within 30 seconds to complete the upgrade, No seat is available.in Aeroplan's website. (Obviously I booked B class already)
I don't think consensus has been reached, but seems like previous discussion in this thread has gravitated toward neither Z nor I class being a perfect indicator of SAUA availability. I've read I, X, and Z all being mentioned by themselves or in combination.
princesakura is offline  
Old Jan 12, 20, 7:50 am
  #292  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 65
I think the only thing that's certain is if BR doesn't see Z available, then one can be fairly certain that *A won't have the Z either. If BR has Z, then how many of those seats are also released to partners probably depend on how full both the Y and J cabins are.
pete.th is offline  
Old Jan 12, 20, 11:08 am
  #293  
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by pete.th View Post
I think the only thing that's certain is if BR doesn't see Z available, then one can be fairly certain that *A won't have the Z either. If BR has Z, then how many of those seats are also released to partners probably depend on how full both the Y and J cabins are.
I agree... but.. I highly doubt that either Y or J cabins are reached capacities for November's flight.. which is the one I tried to book without any luck.
sklin88 is offline  
Old Jan 12, 20, 5:05 pm
  #294  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: home since March
Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
Posts: 5,429
Originally Posted by princesakura View Post
I don't think consensus has been reached, but seems like previous discussion in this thread has gravitated toward neither Z nor I class being a perfect indicator of SAUA availability. I've read I, X, and Z all being mentioned by themselves or in combination.
Based on supplied data points from many FT'ers, consensus is actually quite clear that SAUA availability is linked with Z and not I. What's less clear (for obvious reasons) is that EVA may hold back some upgrade inventory for own-program members (to be fair, this is something that has been rumored/reported on this forum for years).

Last edited by gengar; Jan 12, 20 at 6:13 pm
gengar is offline  
Old Jan 23, 20, 2:34 am
  #295  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: SF
Programs: OZ
Posts: 10
I was able to score an upgrade for my TPE-SFO this coming sunday using 38,000 Asiana Miles. Too bad no seat availability for my CEB-TPE segment. This is my first time flying business class on a long haul flight, I'm excited!!
crazyflyer82 is offline  
Old Jan 23, 20, 8:11 am
  #296  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Programs: QR Silver, AC, EVA Gold, UL silver and PAL. IHG Gold
Posts: 981
Originally Posted by crazyflyer82 View Post
I was able to score an upgrade for my TPE-SFO this coming sunday using 38,000 Asiana Miles. Too bad no seat availability for my CEB-TPE segment. This is my first time flying business class on a long haul flight, I'm excited!!
You will enjoy it. Did you get a window seat?
dav662 is offline  
Old Jan 23, 20, 2:57 pm
  #297  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: SF Bay Area
Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Posts: 3,072
Originally Posted by princesakura View Post
I don't think consensus has been reached, but seems like previous discussion in this thread has gravitated toward neither Z nor I class being a perfect indicator of SAUA availability. I've read I, X, and Z all being mentioned by themselves or in combination.
I called and confirmed Z was available, then almost immediately after that, booked and tried to SAUA, and could not. So Z is not a perfect indicator. Perhaps Z availability is necessary for SAUA availability, but not sufficient.
STS-134 is offline  
Old Jan 23, 20, 7:05 pm
  #298  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 222
Originally Posted by STS-134 View Post
I called and confirmed Z was available, then almost immediately after that, booked and tried to SAUA, and could not. So Z is not a perfect indicator. Perhaps Z availability is necessary for SAUA availability, but not sufficient.
I think I agree about Z. Personally I think it's I and X, and not either by itself. Have not had chance to investigate more for myself last year though. And I know opinions vary in this thread.
princesakura is offline  
Old Jan 23, 20, 7:13 pm
  #299  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: home since March
Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
Posts: 5,429
Originally Posted by princesakura View Post
I think I agree about Z. Personally I think it's I and X, and not either by itself. Have not had chance to investigate more for myself last year though. And I know opinions vary in this thread.
According to what's been posted by other FT'ers, X isn't even a business class bucket - so I don't know why it would be discussed here.

There are also ~20 data points supplied by more than 10 different FT'ers who were successful in applying SAUA when I=0, so it's just silly at this point to suggest that I fare bucket availability is a necessary condition for SAUA.
Dave510 likes this.
gengar is offline  
Old Jan 24, 20, 6:21 am
  #300  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: SF
Programs: OZ
Posts: 10
Originally Posted by dav662 View Post
You will enjoy it. Did you get a window seat?
yes, i got 10k.
crazyflyer82 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: