Star Alliance Upgrade Award on EVA

Old Nov 19, 19, 9:20 pm
  #271  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Programs: UA, AS
Posts: 1,619
Originally Posted by krispykrme View Post
I have posted video before (at this chain). Yesterday I called before and after booking ticket for my mother in law from IAH. Z was available but no I can be found in expertflyer from any US gateway. Of course it failed, since no I.

the previous poster is correct.

if Z is available and Eva own upgrade will work. Just not SAUA. So far I had been only think that I found to be 100% working.
Did you try multiple programs' SAUA? United and Aeroplan? United's has been known to break periodically. I am not saying that there is not another hidden inventory bucket tied to SAUA, just that cases have appeared here where no SAUA is available even with I inventory and even if there is another hidden fare class determining SAUA availability Z more closely matches it than I based on multiple reports here.

To summarize:
I does not always match.
Z does not always match (but most of the time it does and it matches in more cases than I).
Z is a better indicator than I for SAUA availability even if it is not perfect.
skimthetrees is offline  
Old Nov 19, 19, 10:14 pm
  #272  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: NYC, SEA, TPE
Programs: BR Diamond, B6 Mosaic
Posts: 406
Originally Posted by skimthetrees View Post
Did you try multiple programs' SAUA? United and Aeroplan? United's has been known to break periodically. I am not saying that there is not another hidden inventory bucket tied to SAUA, just that cases have appeared here where no SAUA is available even with I inventory and even if there is another hidden fare class determining SAUA availability Z more closely matches it than I based on multiple reports here.

To summarize:
I does not always match.
Z does not always match (but most of the time it does and it matches in more cases than I).
Z is a better indicator than I for SAUA availability even if it is not perfect.
Thanks for the summary. I look forward to having this same discussion every month! /s
BlackHappy is offline  
Old Nov 19, 19, 10:24 pm
  #273  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Programs: UA, AS
Posts: 1,619
Originally Posted by BlackHappy View Post
Thanks for the summary. I look forward to having this same discussion every month! /s
It's been going on for way longer than a month. You will have plenty of time to enjoy it!
skimthetrees is offline  
Old Nov 21, 19, 2:39 pm
  #274  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Programs: Aeroplan
Posts: 2
I literally created this account just to second skimthetrees - basically neither I nor Z guarantees SAUA.

My own personal experience for BR55 coming up: Called in to EVA ticketing office to make sure that the first segment from ORD to TPE (BR55) is in B class. EF shows I = 0. EVA ticketing office confirmed that Z=1. Rolled the dice and booked the ticket anyways. Went on Aeroplan SAUA website and luckily, upgrade confirmed right away for 25K miles. Checked back on EVA website under my reservation and I was upgraded to RL and was able to select seat.
ancientday is offline  
Old Nov 23, 19, 3:24 pm
  #275  
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Houston, TX USA
Posts: 2
Iím getting ready to test some more of these theories... just found out I have to fly to China the first week in December.

Im going to shoot for 12.1.19 IAH > TPE > PVG and return 12.7.19 PVG>TPE>IAH.

My goal is to pay for an economy fare of some sort (sounds like ďBĒ is the most reliable from what Iíve read) and then use either UA or AC miles to upgrade to RL.

Ill keep the thread updated as I find out more.

Does anybody have the phone number youíre using to call EVA Reservations and check for Z?

Thanks
JustinMG is offline  
Old Nov 24, 19, 5:22 pm
  #276  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: home since March
Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
Posts: 5,434
Originally Posted by JustinMG View Post
Does anybody have the phone number youíre using to call EVA Reservations and check for Z?
I recommend calling Taipei reservations: +886 225011999 (official website link for phone number: https://www.evaair.com/en-us/contact...s/?city=Taipei )

Unfortunately information on SAUA is split into two threads on this forum due to a separate thread on the topic of using UA to SAUA on BR specifically: Steps to EVA upgrade w/ UnitedMiles

That thread has a wiki summarizing some useful information including the above phone number.
gengar is offline  
Old Nov 24, 19, 5:34 pm
  #277  
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Houston, TX USA
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by gengar View Post
That thread has a wiki summarizing some useful information including the above phone number.
Thank you for the info. Iíll look over that thread as well.
JustinMG is offline  
Old Dec 30, 19, 9:03 am
  #278  
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 2
Just finished my flight on EVA Air. My wife and I spent the holidays with her family in the Philippines, we flew ORD-TPE-MNL-TPE-ORD. She was in prem economy, and then did a Star Alliance upgrade from TPE to MNL. I called and upgraded my fare class in economy to try and upgrade to no avail. Expert flyer showed now (I class?) and nothing opened up. I lucked out there because I was in 72H 2nd from last row on the plane with no seat behind me in row 73. Had entire row to myself. For being long haul economy, not a bad seat. I was able to upgrade immediatley after booking TPE to MNL to biz. This helped as we both were able to get lounge access in TPE and used the showers to freshen up after the long flight.

Coming back 3 days before we left, I saw about 20 open biz class seats from TPE to ORD. Checked expert flyer and I class had availablility. Called and paid the extra fare to change the fare class. This time my wife's ticket was economy but I booked prem economy coming back. The difference to change that was over 1000 dollars so I just stayed in prem economy. It was only 250-300 to change my wife's fare class and as soon as they put it thru, Star Alliance upgrade cleared immediatley. Not only was biz maybe 1/3 full, prem economy was maybe 1/4 full. There was no one else in the entire row I was in.

While I only tasted biz class on EVA from TPE to MNL, I must say it's not a bad product. Also, their premium economy isn't a bad product at all. We will def fly with them again. Morale of the story seems to be exactly what everyone else is saying though, if EF shows I availability, seems you have a good shot at applying a SAUA
Zack Lund is offline  
Old Dec 30, 19, 10:49 am
  #279  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: YYZ
Programs: Marriott/SPG, BR, CX, Aeroplan
Posts: 519
Originally Posted by Zack Lund View Post
Just finished my flight on EVA Air. My wife and I spent the holidays with her family in the Philippines, we flew ORD-TPE-MNL-TPE-ORD. She was in prem economy, and then did a Star Alliance upgrade from TPE to MNL. I called and upgraded my fare class in economy to try and upgrade to no avail. Expert flyer showed now (I class?) and nothing opened up. I lucked out there because I was in 72H 2nd from last row on the plane with no seat behind me in row 73. Had entire row to myself. For being long haul economy, not a bad seat. I was able to upgrade immediatley after booking TPE to MNL to biz. This helped as we both were able to get lounge access in TPE and used the showers to freshen up after the long flight.

Coming back 3 days before we left, I saw about 20 open biz class seats from TPE to ORD. Checked expert flyer and I class had availablility. Called and paid the extra fare to change the fare class. This time my wife's ticket was economy but I booked prem economy coming back. The difference to change that was over 1000 dollars so I just stayed in prem economy. It was only 250-300 to change my wife's fare class and as soon as they put it thru, Star Alliance upgrade cleared immediatley. Not only was biz maybe 1/3 full, prem economy was maybe 1/4 full. There was no one else in the entire row I was in.

While I only tasted biz class on EVA from TPE to MNL, I must say it's not a bad product. Also, their premium economy isn't a bad product at all. We will def fly with them again. Morale of the story seems to be exactly what everyone else is saying though, if EF shows I availability, seems you have a good shot at applying a SAUA
That's not what everyone else is saying at all.
Dave510 is offline  
Old Dec 30, 19, 6:12 pm
  #280  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: home since March
Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
Posts: 5,434
Originally Posted by Dave510 View Post
That's not what everyone else is saying at all.
It also seems really risky to upfare without checking Z, as I don't think that's at all refundable. At least buyers of new tickets in the USA are protected by the DOT 24-hour rule.
gengar is offline  
Old Dec 31, 19, 1:01 am
  #281  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: YYZ
Programs: Marriott/SPG, BR, CX, Aeroplan
Posts: 519
Originally Posted by gengar View Post
It also seems really risky to upfare without checking Z, as I don't think that's at all refundable. At least buyers of new tickets in the USA are protected by the DOT 24-hour rule.
I think the DOT rule could be interpreted as all airlines that operate in the US, regardless of whether the specific flight in question touches US soil at any point.

Regardless, I agree with you that it's risky, as no sane person would likely go to court with EVA over the penalty.

Edit: I stand corrected. Reading 14 CFR 259.2, the scope of protection is a lot more narrower than I assumed. Thanks OCedHrt !

Last edited by Dave510; Jan 3, 20 at 9:30 am
Dave510 is offline  
Old Jan 2, 20, 11:20 pm
  #282  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 26
Originally Posted by Dave510 View Post
I think the DOT rule could be interpreted as all airlines that operate in the US, regardless of whether the specific flight in question touches US soil at any point.

Regardless, I agree with you that it's risky, as no sane person would likely go to court with EVA over the penalty.
That's entirely incorrect. For EVA it only applies if the ticket originates from the US (e.g. ticketed by their US office). A flight arriving in the US does not have DOT 24 hours.

However the change fee in Taiwan is very minimal anyways.

But a VIE to TPE ticket uses rules from EU which have no cancellation protection and high change fees.
Dave510 likes this.
OCedHrt is offline  
Old Jan 9, 20, 1:42 am
  #283  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 65
Cool Upgrade success using Lifemiles

Just had a successful upgrade using Lifemiles. Booked BKK-LHR-BOG in B class with BKK-LHR operated by BR. I checked availability on the LM website every few days and around T-15 LM indicated availability. Cost is 30,000 LM to upgrade. Clicked through with excitement only to receive an error message. Miles were deducted but the upgrade wasn't done. Had to call in to ask what's going on. A few days later a LM agent called me to say there was a system issue (yeah, no kidding) and refunded my miles and asked me to try again. I figured it might have been phantom availability last time, so this time I called and check with BR directly on availability. They told me 2 seats left in Z class through BR (with 9 seats left in C on EF and no I class available), but not sure about for *A. I went to the LM website, which showed availability. So I went through the process again, which is a success this time! Verified with BR who said the ticket has been upgraded.

As a side note, I also tried cross-referencing the availability with Aeroplan before I booked my upgrade. Aeroplan actually indicated no availability right before I successfully upgraded with LM. So a word of caution that the Aeroplan SAUA upgrade system might not be returning correct availability at this time.

Last edited by pete.th; Jan 9, 20 at 1:45 am Reason: Edit to add additional info about I class
pete.th is offline  
Old Jan 10, 20, 11:01 pm
  #284  
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by pete.th View Post
Just had a successful upgrade using Lifemiles. Booked BKK-LHR-BOG in B class with BKK-LHR operated by BR. I checked availability on the LM website every few days and around T-15 LM indicated availability. Cost is 30,000 LM to upgrade. Clicked through with excitement only to receive an error message. Miles were deducted but the upgrade wasn't done. Had to call in to ask what's going on. A few days later a LM agent called me to say there was a system issue (yeah, no kidding) and refunded my miles and asked me to try again. I figured it might have been phantom availability last time, so this time I called and check with BR directly on availability. They told me 2 seats left in Z class through BR (with 9 seats left in C on EF and no I class available), but not sure about for *A. I went to the LM website, which showed availability. So I went through the process again, which is a success this time! Verified with BR who said the ticket has been upgraded.

As a side note, I also tried cross-referencing the availability with Aeroplan before I booked my upgrade. Aeroplan actually indicated no availability right before I successfully upgraded with LM. So a word of caution that the Aeroplan SAUA upgrade system might not be returning correct availability at this time.
This is what happen to me 2 days ago... called EVA in Tapei, confirm Z class available more than 5, came back to Aeroplan to upgrade, not available...
so perhaps I should assume there might be some wrong with Aeroplan's upgrade system?
sklin88 is offline  
Old Jan 10, 20, 11:15 pm
  #285  
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: YVR/ICN
Programs: OZ Gold *S
Posts: 67
Sorry if this has been answered already but I wasn't able to find an answer online.

If you do a SAUA with Eva Air, do you still earn *A mileage from that ticket?
OccasionallyFlying is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: