Star Alliance Upgrade Award on EVA

Old Jul 10, 19, 1:51 pm

I just called BR and asked for Z availability as suggested. I checked EF, and it said no I class available. Agent confirmed Z had space and I used *A. Went through nice and smooth! I just wanted to share my experience. First time I ever tried. The agent did voluntary say something like "if you are using *A this information is for reference only and no guarantees". I wonder why?

Last edited by havphunflyin; Jul 10, 19 at 10:43 pm
Old Jul 10, 19, 5:08 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG, BR, CX, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by havphunflyin View Post
I just called BR and asked for Z availability as suggested. I checked EF, and it said no I class available. Agent confirmed Z had space and I used *A. Went through nice and smooth! I just wanted to share my experience. First time I ever tried. The agent did say voluntary say something like "if you are using *A this information is for reference only and no guarantees". I wonder why?
Because different *A loyalty programs sometimes have access to different award/upgrade spaces, so they don't want you to buy the ticket, not be able to clear upgrade, then demand a free refund from EVA. It's a CYA statement basically.
Old Jul 10, 19, 8:57 pm

Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
Originally Posted by havphunflyin View Post
I just called BR and asked for Z availability as suggested. I checked EF, and it said no I class available. Agent confirmed Z had space and I used *A. Went through nice and smooth! I just wanted to share my experience. First time I ever tried. The agent did say voluntary say something like "if you are using *A this information is for reference only and no guarantees". I wonder why?
There has also been some rumor that BR may withhold some upgrade space for members of its own FFP, therefore opening up the possibility that SAUA may not clear even if Z>0. I don't recall any specific data points, however.
Old Jul 10, 19, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by Dave510 View Post
Because different *A loyalty programs sometimes have access to different award/upgrade spaces, so they don't want you to buy the ticket, not be able to clear upgrade, then demand a free refund from EVA. It's a CYA statement basically.
Thanks for the explanation. I was afraid it wouldn’t clear but the refund would have cost 130 and I would have then booked PE and ate the cost instead of fly B class for the same price.
Old Jul 24, 19, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, QF
Any advice for a newbie here? I need to go LAX-TPE on EVA in November, I was going to use my UA miles to book the flight through UA economy...then was going to talk to BR about using cash to upgrade to PE. Does anyone know if this is possible or even a smart move, when booking through UA for award flight in economy which fare class is it?

My other option is to buy a higher class economy fare through EVA, then try to use my UA miles to upgrade through the SAUA site, does anyone know approx how many miles it usually takes to go from economy to PE using UA miles?

thanks for the help
Old Jul 24, 19, 5:46 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG, BR, CX, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by e90dude1 View Post
Any advice for a newbie here? I need to go LAX-TPE on EVA in November, I was going to use my UA miles to book the flight through UA economy...then was going to talk to BR about using cash to upgrade to PE. Does anyone know if this is possible or even a smart move, when booking through UA for award flight in economy which fare class is it?

My other option is to buy a higher class economy fare through EVA, then try to use my UA miles to upgrade through the SAUA site, does anyone know approx how many miles it usually takes to go from economy to PE using UA miles?

thanks for the help
Upgrade to PE is not possible using *A upgrades. You can upgrade Y, B or K fare EVA tickets directly into Business.
Old Jul 24, 19, 5:49 pm

Ok but when I book up a EVA flight using UA miles the UA award site just says "Economy" , do you know what the fare class actually is , or at least how EVA sees it?
Old Jul 24, 19, 7:17 pm

thanks for the help
All of this is published. If you use miles to purchase a ticket it is not upgradeable, period. If you want to sit in a higher cabin then you must use miles for that higher cabin, or use cash for an upgradeable class of service then use miles to upgrade that. Number of UA miles required to upgrade on BR is published in UA *A award charts... to business, not PE as that is not offered. And remember that your actual mileage cost is the award cost less miles that you will earn on the paid ticket.

There is much discussion in this thread about how to find out if upgrade is available before making the purchase, bottom line is there is no guaranteed way to find out, but your best bet is telephone to EVA and ask them to check for Z class. You should purchase the economy ticket at EVA web site as they let you select class-of-service that is upgradable (Y or B class for economy) and if you buy and then discover the upgrade is not available you can cancel if still within 24 hours.

DAK
Old Jul 24, 19, 7:29 pm

Ok got it about award tickets.., I will go the route you suggest just buying eco ticket on EVA then trying upgrade...worth a shot...thanks!
Old Jul 24, 19, 8:09 pm

Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
Ok but when I book up a EVA flight using UA miles the UA award site just says "Economy" , do you know what the fare class actually is , or at least how EVA sees it?
It should book into whatever fare class BR uses for the respective award.
Old Jul 24, 19, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by gengar View Post
It should book into whatever fare class BR uses for the respective award.
BR (like most *A) use X for economy award and I for business award. Per my last post there is lots of debate as to whether availability of I is a good proxy for availability of an upgrade. What is known is that once the upgraded ticket is issued, it is issued in Z class.

DAK
Old Aug 13, 19, 6:22 am

I'm flying LHR-BKK next month and I'm torn between just buying a discount PE ticket and buying a B class ticket trying to upgrade using United miles. That would be an upgrade to business, not to PE, right? Also, my understanding is that I do not have the free 24-hour cancellation period, so should I should I just call and ask about Z class and hope for the best before I book?
Old Aug 13, 19, 7:42 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by giblet View Post
I'm flying LHR-BKK next month and I'm torn between just buying a discount PE ticket and buying a B class ticket trying to upgrade using United miles. That would be an upgrade to business, not to PE, right? Also, my understanding is that I do not have the free 24-hour cancellation period, so should I should I just call and ask about Z class and hope for the best before I book?
Yes, Y or B Class economy upgrades to Business when using United miles for SAUA.

As I read it you do not have a free 24 hour cancellation period. What you probably will have, based on my check of the EVA B fare on their website, is no change fees with a B fare (any fare difference and tax difference are charged) so you can easily change to a different date for free (fare & tax difference) if SAUA is not available on the original date you book. I would still call to check for Z before you book.
Old Aug 13, 19, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by skimthetrees View Post
Yes, Y or B Class economy upgrades to Business when using United miles for SAUA.

As I read it you do not have a free 24 hour cancellation period. What you probably will have, based on my check of the EVA B fare on their website, is no change fees with a B fare (any fare difference and tax difference are charged) so you can easily change to a different date for free (fare & tax difference) if SAUA is not available on the original date you book. I would still call to check for Z before you book.
Thank you, that's very helpful!
Old Aug 15, 19, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by skimthetrees View Post

I just called and there were 2 spots in Z, so I bought the ticket and was able to immediately upgrade. I can't believe how easy that was. Thanks again!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: