Star Alliance Upgrade Award on EVA

Old Apr 12, 19, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by Bear4Asian View Post

When you make a reservation on EVA you sometimes are required to put in your name like this

FamilyName FirstNameMiddleNam

e.g. For Mary Anne Smith

Smith Maryanne

look in your EVA reservation online and do it exactly the same on the United upgrade page.

Hope this works.
Just tried that and it's still the same warming message. My first flight upgrade when through fine with me typing just the first name and last name. Any other idea?
Old Apr 12, 19, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by XFer2 View Post
Just tried that and it's still the same warming message. My first flight upgrade when through fine with me typing just the first name and last name. Any other idea?
Are your flights round-trip on one ticket? If that is the case the format you used for the outbound should work for the return. United's SAUA tool has been known to be broken at times in the past. I would probably call United to check and see what's up.

Have you double checked all the information you are putting into the form?
Old Apr 13, 19, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees View Post
Are your flights round-trip on one ticket? If that is the case the format you used for the outbound should work for the return. United's SAUA tool has been known to be broken at times in the past. I would probably call United to check and see what's up.

Have you double checked all the information you are putting into the form?
All the info in the form is correct and no different than when I requested the upgrades for my departing flight. Couldn't find a good number to call on the website so ended up calling the main number, now I've been on hold trying to talk to an agent for the last 45 mins...
Old Apr 14, 19, 5:43 am

After talking to a United website person and many tries on my end, I finally figured out that entering the confirmation messed up the process and returned the blank warning. Once removing the confirmation, it showed this error code instead:
The traveler has the same name as an existing traveler on this flight. Please contact the operating airline for the required information and try again. (Error code: 384)
I know I've gotten this error code when the information is not entered correctly, so I double checked everything and even entered the information exactly like EVA's "FIRSTNAMEMIDDLENAME LAST NAME" and it didn't make any difference. I'm running out of ideas of what to try...
Old Apr 14, 19, 8:56 am

Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
After talking to a United website person and many tries on my end, I finally figured out that entering the confirmation messed up the process and returned the blank warning. Once removing the confirmation, it showed this error code instead:
The traveler has the same name as an existing traveler on this flight. Please contact the operating airline for the required information and try again. (Error code: 384)
I know I've gotten this error code when the information is not entered correctly, so I double checked everything and even entered the information exactly like EVA's "FIRSTNAMEMIDDLENAME LAST NAME" and it didn't make any difference. I'm running out of ideas of what to try...
What information are you actually filling in at this point? The UA site can be inordinately finicky on SAUA. I've found the best success with required fields and only putting in the ticket number and not the confirmation number.

Just as a note, there is a separate thread on this forum specific to SAUA on BR via UA. Steps to EVA upgrade w/ UnitedMiles
Old Apr 14, 19, 11:10 am

Once removing the confirmation, it showed this error code instead:
The message is suggesting you call BR. I would call BR, give them your ticket numbers, have them verify everything is OK with the tickets, and ask them to provide the exact names they have in their record for each ticket. Are you sure you are matching up the ticket numbers properly to each traveler? Ticket #1 - Traveler #1 , Ticket #2 - Traveler #2 , Ticket #3 - Traveler #3 ?
Old Apr 16, 19, 3:22 am

The message is suggesting you call BR. I would call BR, give them your ticket numbers, have them verify everything is OK with the tickets, and ask them to provide the exact names they have in their record for each ticket. Are you sure you are matching up the ticket numbers properly to each traveler? Ticket #1 - Traveler #1 , Ticket #2 - Traveler #2 , Ticket #3 - Traveler #3 ?
Today I was able to get through the request page and went through these two pages:

It looked different from the screens of my previous upgrade, but it appeared that there was availability and the upgrade went through. However, miles weren't deducted from my account and my EVA reservation still showed economy. I even got an email confirmation from United about the upgrade but there was no passenger info and upgrade certificate number.

Called United web support and they weren't able to pull up my reservation (they totally did before) and advised that if there was no certificate number, than there was no upgrade. But they couldn't tell me why I was seeing these screens that appeared the upgrade went through, when on the back-end it probably didn't.

Has anyone seen these screens/had this issue?
Old Apr 16, 19, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (1P)
Yeah it just doesn't work since the new interface.
You get confirmation page, confirmation email, but actually no upgrade. Certificate Number is also missing in the email indicating the upgrade is failed.
In fact, during the upgrade request, in the "Upgrade space is available" page, they still process your upgrade when you hit the cancel button and show you a confirmation page. Of course, your upgrade is still non existence.

Last edited by cchuang1980; Apr 16, 19 at 4:53 pm
Old Apr 16, 19, 5:26 pm

It looked different from the screens of my previous upgrade, but it appeared that there was availability and the upgrade went through. However, miles weren't deducted from my account and my EVA reservation still showed economy. I even got an email confirmation from United about the upgrade but there was no passenger info and upgrade certificate number.

Called United web support and they weren't able to pull up my reservation (they totally did before) and advised that if there was no certificate number, than there was no upgrade. But they couldn't tell me why I was seeing these screens that appeared the upgrade went through, when on the back-end it probably didn't.

Has anyone seen these screens/had this issue?
If they didn't charge you for the upgrade I would be re-requesting that upgrade again and again. The worst that can happen is it doesn't work again. Best case, eventually it works.
Old Apr 16, 19, 9:49 pm

Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
From post 875 in the thread How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers :

Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
The Facebook social media person stated there is no planned or known ETA for getting this fixed - so for everyone's info, this could be days or weeks until the issue is resolved.

Last edited by gengar; Apr 17, 19 at 11:16 am
Old Apr 16, 19, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by gengar View Post
Post 876 was merged by a moderator into post 875 so the post 876 link is broken now. Now Post 875.
Old Apr 17, 19, 11:16 am

Post 876 was merged by a moderator into post 875 so the post 876 link is broken now. Now Post 875.
Thanks, I've also edited my post.
Old Apr 18, 19, 12:00 pm
Was verbyournoun

Another data point for this thread since more information is better than less.

Called North American hotline, connected to an agent right away. Asked for "Z" fare availability, she responded that there was currently 7 seats available. Expertflyer shows no I seats available for this flight. Fare class is B. Departing in July. Return unknown but will be later in the year.

Bit the bullet and transferred 25MR points to AE miles. Upgrade went through no problem. Thanks everyone for all the help with this.

Some questions: As a person who never flies Star Alliance (domestic carrier is DL, live in DL hub) who should I credit the B fare miles to? Should I credit it to Air Canada to get more miles to upgrade my return so I don't have to transfer MR points? Or the fare is actually pretty expensive is United better?
Old Apr 19, 19, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by verbyournoun View Post
Another data point for this thread since more information is better than less.

Called North American hotline, connected to an agent right away. Asked for "Z" fare availability, she responded that there was currently 7 seats available. Expertflyer shows no I seats available for this flight. Fare class is B. Departing in July. Return unknown but will be later in the year.

Bit the bullet and transferred 25MR points to AE miles. Upgrade went through no problem. Thanks everyone for all the help with this.

Some questions: As a person who never flies Star Alliance (domestic carrier is DL, live in DL hub) who should I credit the B fare miles to? Should I credit it to Air Canada to get more miles to upgrade my return so I don't have to transfer MR points? Or the fare is actually pretty expensive is United better?
B fare only earns 100% on United - since the United *A upgrade tool is broken and unlikely to be working anytime soon, I would credit to AC and run your upgrades from there.
Old Apr 22, 19, 3:07 pm

I ran into the same issue. I called EVA and they confirmed Z availability on a TPE-JFK flight in November. I transferred 30K points from Chase UR to United and then used the UA SAUA tool to upgrade. Everything seemed OK and I got a confirmation e-mail - however, the points never deducted from my account and there was no upgrade certificate attached to the confirmation e-mail. I spent 45 minutes on the phone with UA who basically said they were aware of the issue and had a case open, but had no resolution. Guess I'll just cancel the EVA flight I booked and hope UA fixes the tool quickly...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: