Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Eva business class using United miles

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2016, 9:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by fone
Sorry, it should be from YYZ instead of YVR. Siomehow, I'd prefer to fly out from Canada instead.
YYZ is the 777...and if you're lucky, you fly the polar route over the north pole, which is a nice little bucket list item to check off.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 9:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by bocastephen
YYZ is the 777...and if you're lucky, you fly the polar route over the north pole, which is a nice little bucket list item to check off.
And a better hard product.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 9:26 pm

Sorry, it should be from YYZ instead of YVR. Siomehow, I'd prefer to fly out from Canada instead.
I am not sure about the miles you have but I used aeroplan points to redeem 4 RL tickets for yyz to tpe. Those tickets were just released 14 days before departure and taxes was like $54 per person in Canadian dollar. I checked and they actually released 8 RL tickets for aeroplan.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by musicscrip
I am not sure about the miles you have but I used aeroplan points to redeem 4 RL tickets for yyz to tpe. Those tickets were just released 14 days before departure and taxes was like $54 per person in Canadian dollar. I checked and they actually released 8 RL tickets for aeroplan.
How far back is this? I'm search using UA, but unable to find any availability in the next 14 days. As mentioned in my original post, I actually have some credit card points which can go into BR miles, hopefully, these got better availability. I presume BR giving more availability to their own FFP.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 7:40 am

How far back is this? I'm search using UA, but unable to find any availability in the next 14 days. As mentioned in my original post, I actually have some credit card points which can go into BR miles, hopefully, these got better availability. I presume BR giving more availability to their own FFP.
I just redeemed the RL tickets last night...

I also checked other days like 12 days out or 11 days out and they all have 8 seats available YYZ to TPE in RL. May be aeroplan points system is different from the system you are using? May yours release 1 year ahead instead of 14 days out.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 4:02 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Don't waste your time searching UA - just call EVA and ask if the flights you are considering (keep the list short) have Z class seats or not. Do not mention United or Star Alliance or anything else - short and to the point - Z class only.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by musicscrip
I just redeemed the RL tickets last night...

I also checked other days like 12 days out or 11 days out and they all have 8 seats available YYZ to TPE in RL. May be aeroplan points system is different from the system you are using? May yours release 1 year ahead instead of 14 days out.
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Don't waste your time searching UA - just call EVA and ask if the flights you are considering (keep the list short) have Z class seats or not. Do not mention United or Star Alliance or anything else - short and to the point - Z class only.
Thanks for the advice! Will definitely call them when the time comes.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 8:05 am

Programs: MileagePlus, EVA Airways
I asked the same thing in another thread but wanted to see if anyone can chime in here. Sorry for the urgency, need to book soon!

"Quick question, I want book a roundtrip SFO <-> TPE, however, since EVA only releases upgrade seats about 14 days before (I've been checking KVS constantly) I can only upgrade the first leg of my trip.

Is this doable? Can I only upgrade one leg then wait until they release more upgrade seats for my return flight to upgrade?

I do not want to book separate one-way trips, it would be way more expensive.

Thanks in advance!"
Old Apr 8, 2016, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by cameraboy
I asked the same thing in another thread but wanted to see if anyone can chime in here. Sorry for the urgency, need to book soon!

"Quick question, I want book a roundtrip SFO <-> TPE, however, since EVA only releases upgrade seats about 14 days before (I've been checking KVS constantly) I can only upgrade the first leg of my trip.

Is this doable? Can I only upgrade one leg then wait until they release more upgrade seats for my return flight to upgrade?

I do not want to book separate one-way trips, it would be way more expensive.

Thanks in advance!"
EVA releases upgrades seats throughout the flight's lifecycle - there is no 14 day magic number. Call EVA reservations directly and ask for Z class availability (do not mention *A) on your dates.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 11:28 am
msm

This is a good assumption. I have never been able to successfully pull off a Star Alliance Upgrade Award on EVA metal, but I have had no trouble at all Upgrading from Elite to Royal Laurel on EVA metal using EVA miles. I've done it maybe 5 times in the last 18 months.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 7:36 pm

Programs: EVA Diamond, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by cameraboy
"Quick question, I want book a roundtrip SFO <-> TPE, however, since EVA only releases upgrade seats about 14 days before (I've been checking KVS constantly) I can only upgrade the first leg of my trip."
BR51/52 Elite L-Class Late April - Booked 9 Feb 2016
Upgrade by EVA IML
BR51 - Upgrade to RL available instantly
BR52 - Waitlisted, RL cleared 18 days before flight

Check the availability of D-class for your flight, if D=4 or higher, most likely upgrade would be available closer to departure.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 6:18 am

I upgraded two tickets using UA miles 8 months ahead. Did everything online. No problem at all.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 9:41 am

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by neuro0
I upgraded two tickets using UA miles 8 months ahead. Did everything online. No problem at all.
When was this and what was the route? Thanks.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:03 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy BS, Hertz & Avis Pres
We are flying LAX-TPE as part of a longer trip, but the LAX-TPE leg is a Monday morning departure on EVA (currently BR15) using MP miles. Currently booked in Y but hoping to change and get into C. We need to fly on BR1 or BR15 on a Monday morning (12:05 or 12:30a) departure.

For months, EVA and United have opened C seats at T-14 days. For the past two weeks, the Monday BR1 and BR15 have had limited availability (and now none, which appear to have zeroed out for MP seats only when C availability dropped below 9). The only times I saw a lack of C availability was if C seats were less than 9 on EF.

Our travel date is now within T-14 but have no C availability on United.com, though BR1 and BR15 both show C9 J9 D9 K9 L9 T9 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q9 V9 on EF. FWIW, BR11, the daytime LAX departure on our departure date does have C seats through United with miles.

Does anyone have any insight on the likelihood that 2 C seats will open up for BR1 or BR15 for Monday departures as they used to? There are C seats out of IAH, SEA, or YVR, but those either involve an extra stop, bad long layover (6+ hours in IAH, e.g.), or a shorter connection in TPE than I would like ... and I used a bunch of VX points for our flight into LAX that won't be worth all that much to me if I refund.

Is there any use in calling Eva and begging (it is our honeymoon and after planning a wedding, nothing is below me right now!) to open seats? Is there any equivalent to the SQ process where you let them know you want the seats and see if they open them? Is there any chance the UA website is wrong (trying to ask a serious question and not make a joke) and not displaying availability?

Thoughts much appreciated.

Last edited by NgatesSEA; Apr 11, 2016 at 1:13 pm
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by NgatesSEA
We are flying LAX-TPE as part of a longer trip, but the LAX-TPE leg is a Monday morning departure on EVA (currently BR15) using MP miles. Currently booked in Y but hoping to change and get into C. We need to fly on BR1 or BR15 on a Monday morning (12:05 or 12:30a) departure.

For months, EVA and United have opened C seats at T-14 days. For the past two weeks, the Monday BR1 and BR15 have had limited availability (and now none, which appear to have zeroed out for MP seats only when C availability dropped below 9). The only times I saw a lack of C availability was if C seats were less than 9 on EF.

For our travel date, Apr. 25 is now within T-14 but have no C availability on United.com, though BR1 and BR15 both show C9 J9 D9 K9 L9 T9 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q9 V9 on EF. FWIW, BR11, the daytime LAX departure on Mon Apr. 25 does have C seats through United with miles.

Does anyone have any insight on the likelihood that 2 C seats will open up for BR1 or BR15 for Monday departures as they used to? There are C seats out of IAH, SEA, or YVR, but those either involve an extra stop, bad long layover (6+ hours in IAH, e.g.), or a shorter connection in TPE than I would like ... and I used a bunch of VX points for our flight into LAX that won't be worth all that much to me if I refund.

Is there any use in calling Eva and begging (it is our honeymoon and after planning a wedding, nothing is below me right now!) to open seats? Is there any equivalent to the SQ process where you let them know you want the seats and see if they open them? Is there any chance the UA website is wrong (trying to ask a serious question and not make a joke) and not displaying availability?

Thoughts much appreciated.
Have you called EVA directly and asked if they have Z class seats on your flights? Don't mention *A (if asked, just say upgrading with EVA miles) - this will give you a yes/no answer regardless of what the UA website might be saying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.