Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Eva business class using United miles

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2015, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by grant2112
Just to be clear, you are booked in EVA fare class Y, B, or K, right? Otherwise you can't apply for a SAUA.

Seems like you are doing the right thing. As far as I think many of us have tried to ascertain, the "I" fare class means that both SAUA as well as an outright "purchase" of the biz class seat using miles is available. This is certainly what has been expressed to me by knowledgeable UA staff in the past.

You might be running into what others of us have recently run into as well: that EVA is marrying the segments of your ticket. Feels like when this happens, it might be impossible to apply SAUA to the TPAC segment. Of course, it could also be a UA IT error, but that's impossible to determine.

Since you weren't on the phone with UA when they spoke with EVA, I wouldn't necessarily take their response as gospel. Who knows how the situation was described, if there was a language barrier, etc.

Try to find out if your EVA ticket is married segments or not. If so, try to get EVA (not UA) to unmarry the segment. If you can get that done, then try the UA SAUA website again.

Good luck!
I believe this is indeed the case. My trip is from HKG to TPE to SFO. All in B class.

UA stated to them EVA said this is a linked itinary. Hence I can't just upgrade the TPAC alone. I said then upgrade to entire HKG-TPE-SFO. It still failed, even though both legs has I class available.

Regards
Old Sep 8, 2015, 1:54 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Has anybody tried the upgrade with AC or LH miles rather than UA? I do not have UA but I have the other two. If AC/LH do not have any issues then it might hint to the UA/IT flaw theory rather than a problem on EVA's side.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA-P, and Chase-ing the sapphire dragon
I saw in another post for AC that had some issues:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rriers-29.html
Look for the post by snolan on 7/24

Last edited by PacificStandTime; Sep 9, 2015 at 4:30 pm
Old Sep 12, 2015, 5:31 am

UA upgrade system seems messy... i wonder if KF is any better...?
Old Jan 28, 2016, 1:24 pm

I called EVA today and the rep was saying there are award upgrade availability for Infinity mileagelands members. My questions are:

1. Does the availability apply for Star Alliance upgrade?
2. Can I upgrade to RL from Elite Super Sale fare? Not sure what type fare this is, it says TLXA9E.

Thank's for your help.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by nitecruiser
I called EVA today and the rep was saying there are award upgrade availability for Infinity mileagelands members. My questions are:

2. Can I upgrade to RL from Elite Super Sale fare? Not sure what type fare this is, it says TLXA9E.

Thank's for your help.
I know of someone who works for EVA members service. They arent able to see Star Alliance awards. Most what ive read on here is that if there is an upgrade for mileageland, it should have something available for S* members. Book the ticket, then try to upgrade immediately with whatever partners u have. if not, cancel the ticket.

it looks like you got T class. You will need a K class which is the most expensive Elite Class ticket.

Might be better to switch from a T class --> Y Class (should be the same price) and try to upgrade the Y class, and just suck it up and fly economy back. :]
Old Jan 28, 2016, 7:03 pm

Programs: EVA Diamond, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by nitecruiser

Thank's for your help.
1. The availability does apply for Star Alliance upgrade provided you have the upgradeable fare.
2. TLXA9E indicates T-fare class, only upgradeable Elite-RL using IML mileage. Star Alliance Elite-RL upgrade normally requires K-fare.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 8:19 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

TL;DR

I've seen availability for Business Class on United, but they usually appear in the last minute. Hope this helps.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 8:57 am

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
I just upgraded my dad on BR28 last night using UA miles.

Rules to remember

1. Book B,Y, K ticket. Usually B is cheapest of the 3.

2. Go on UA website and search for award ticket. If you see I- class available. It means it's UA mileage upgrade is available.

3. Book your EVA ticket as one leg only round trip. Otherwise it can't be upgraded.

So far this year I have been 4 for 4 upgrading my parents on two round trip from SFO to TPE.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 11:00 pm

There isn't any direct flights from United.com for LAX-TPE
Old Feb 18, 2016, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA-P, and Chase-ing the sapphire dragon
@ KrispyKrme, when you say "3. Book your EVA ticket as one leg only round trip. Otherwise it can't be upgraded." does that mean if I were flying LAX-BKK via TPE, book them as two separate trips (LAX-TPE and TPE-BKK)?
@nitecruiser, be sure to search award travel, and they only release award travel 14 days out if they do.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 9:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by PacificStandTime
@ KrispyKrme, when you say "3. Book your EVA ticket as one leg only round trip. Otherwise it can't be upgraded." does that mean if I were flying LAX-BKK via TPE, book them as two separate trips (LAX-TPE and TPE-BKK)?
@nitecruiser, be sure to search award travel, and they only release award travel 14 days out if they do.
This depends on the fare rule and how the itinerary was built. I've had no trouble buying US-TPE-SIN-TPE-US with a one week stopover in Taipei (extra $100 on a B fare) and a connection in Taipei on the way back, and upgrading both TPAC flights online with no problem, even upgrading the TPE/SIN B fare segments into PE at the airport - but if you buy a ticket where your segments are married to get the fare, then the upgrade won't work.

However, to make sure you don't run into this issue, either have your TA verify the segments are not married before issue, or call EVA to have them do the ticketing with a fare structure that breaks so the segments are not married - then once issued, you should be able to upgrade.

Having said that, the path of least resistance is to issue separate tickets, but unless you have a long stopover in Taipei in each direction, this adds risk for misconnects.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 1:26 am

I'm looking at getting 4 RL tickets, thru a combination of redemption via BR miles as well as SAUA via UA/A3 miles. These will be one way YYZ - TPE - SIN. I do not have enough BR miles for a 4 tickets. Do redemption and SAUA book into different class?

From this thread, since married segment is not allowed, I'd have to either book the upgrade ticket for 2 separate tickets or with stopover (since 1 way redemption does not allow stopover, I'd need to book 2 separate awards). Will there be that much redemption / SAUA slots? I'm looking to book 1 year in advance.

Last edited by fone; Feb 19, 2016 at 6:25 pm Reason: My mistake, should be from YYZ instead of YVR
Old Feb 19, 2016, 1:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by fone
I'm looking at getting 4 RL tickets, thru a combination of redemption via BR miles as well as SAUA via UA/A3 miles. These will be one way YVR - TPE - SIN. I do not have enough BR miles for a 4 tickets. Do redemption and SAUA book into different class?

From this thread, since married segment is not allowed, I'd have to either book the upgrade ticket for 2 separate tickets or with stopover (since 1 way redemption does not allow stopover, I'd need to book 2 separate awards). Will there be that much redemption / SAUA slots? I'm looking to book 1 year in advance.
The YVR flights are on old 747s...hardly worth the upgrade, these are old style recliners and not the Royal Laurel service. Everything will book into Z class, even though BR agents will insist the inventory is different, it really isn't - but have a TA or BR book the tickets for you with fare constructions that do not include married segments - this can be done on one ticket so you don't need to bother with multiple tickets, but the fare will be higher as it will break at TPE to show one fare YVR-TPE and another TPE-SIN.

Consider looking for dates the 777 operates from SEA (it does not operate everyday, sometimes they sneak the 747 back) and tacking on a YVR-SEA segment on AS to get the right aircraft....and a potentially lower fare. Also remember YVR-Asia is on fire sale right now, so if you are paying in US dollars you can find some stellar paid-J deals on various airlines including UA.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 6:27 pm

Sorry, it should be from YYZ instead of YVR. Siomehow, I'd prefer to fly out from Canada instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.