Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How truthful and safe is EVA?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2014, 2:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Honestly, why are you making such a big deal out of this?
+5
Old Dec 4, 2014, 3:03 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by 3TEN
The point that I was trying to highlight isn't just about the safety concern...
Oh of course not, you only put it in your thread title and compared it to "landing on the wrong runway".

You had a bad customer service experience on BR - fine, don't fly them. But trying to make it out as if BR has some systemic safety issue because you had a bad customer service experience? C'mon man.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 3:22 am

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Why not be true to your hometown airline in future and be done with it?

Besides, so far in my experience, EVA have always arrived at their assigned gate. Maybe I should pay closer attention...
Old Dec 4, 2014, 4:24 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
I'd hate to have you as a backseat passenger when I was trying to park, for some reason I tend to overshoot into the next parking bay*

*you'd be fine when i'm driving, i've only had one accident, admittedly a head on crash with an oil truck who veered into oncoming traffic, but i've learnt from the lesson and will avoid oil trucks veering into oncoming traffic in future. True story.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While I think 3TEN is over-reacting, I do see some of the points about strange excuses EVA makes up.

Maybe 1-2 years ago, I know someone whose VIE-BKK went MX and passengers had to stay an extra night at VIE (at BR's expenses). The ground agent at VIE said "we are doing this for YOUR safety". It just did not sound quite right.

I had a missing pre-ordered meal in RL a few weeks ago. When the entree was about to get served (after 3 courses), the FA first tried to play dumb ("did you order it online?"). Only after I talked to the Chief Purser, I found out what happened.

EVA's culture is very disciplined and hierarchical. "hierarchical" is obviously an issue when it comes to Cockpit Resource Management and I am pretty sure they pay attention to that for the cockpit crew.

There are rules and procedures for everything for the whole company and I don't think front line employees (or even Customer Service) are empowered to correct problems to the customer's satisfaction like western carriers do (e.g. throw a bunch of miles or voucher or a bottle of wine to go).

This culture might not be good with dealing with exceptions as it focuses on not having exceptions. However, I am sure reports are written and employees are disciplined for this incident, if the pilots made a mistake. There is no way they will admit it to someone who complains casually. If OP wants to make a big deal of it, contact the Taiwanese media

And...in Taiwan, sometimes you do have to insist to get what you want...
Old Dec 4, 2014, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by username
While I think 3TEN is over-reacting, I do see some of the points about strange excuses EVA makes up.

Maybe 1-2 years ago, I know someone whose VIE-BKK went MX and passengers had to stay an extra night at VIE (at BR's expenses). The ground agent at VIE said "we are doing this for YOUR safety". It just did not sound quite right.

I had a missing pre-ordered meal in RL a few weeks ago. When the entree was about to get served (after 3 courses), the FA first tried to play dumb ("did you order it online?"). Only after I talked to the Chief Purser, I found out what happened.

EVA's culture is very disciplined and hierarchical. "hierarchical" is obviously an issue when it comes to Cockpit Resource Management and I am pretty sure they pay attention to that for the cockpit crew.

There are rules and procedures for everything for the whole company and I don't think front line employees (or even Customer Service) are empowered to correct problems to the customer's satisfaction like western carriers do (e.g. throw a bunch of miles or voucher or a bottle of wine to go).

This culture might not be good with dealing with exceptions as it focuses on not having exceptions. However, I am sure reports are written and employees are disciplined for this incident, if the pilots made a mistake. There is no way they will admit it to someone who complains casually. If OP wants to make a big deal of it, contact the Taiwanese media

And...in Taiwan, sometimes you do have to insist to get what you want...
and I would say that there are many many carriers all around the world who behave similarly - ie customer facing staff taking the path of least resistance and offering excuses rather than addressing problems honestly. Does not indicate any kind of safety issue or anything of the sort.

If one were to consider minor incidents such as a gate mix up as indicative of safety concerns, no carrier would be considered safe! SQ crashed an A380 into air bridge in SYD earlier this year, does this mean they have no safety culture? Far worse than the gate mix up described in the OP, yet I doubt anyone would jump to the conclusion that SQ has some sort of rotten safety culture.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Could 3TEN be Mayodave or work for SQ?
Old Dec 4, 2014, 10:55 am

Aircraft go to the wrong gates fairly regularly usually they notice it before you need to get a tug out. Pax usually never know about it and controllers and pilots get a laugh, mostly the controllers if it doesn't mess up a sequence.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 2:17 am

That's how you can tell OP is from Singapore...you should see comments on social media from Singaporeans...
Old Dec 6, 2014, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by SirJman
That's how you can tell OP is from Singapore...you should see comments on social media from Singaporeans...
Yes, they don't lament about SQ. SQ could do no wrong.. but other airlines can!

I think its very amicable that BR even bothered answering his query.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

....Thanks for the reminder on SQ006, it happened during bad weather and low visibility. SQ admitted their mistake, implemented additional procedures and moved on. While for BR, nothing is their fault and life goes on...
You think SQ is safer than BR just by this? I cannot recall BR ever had a major incident like SQ006. I was in TPE departed on delayed JL flight the following day. SQ initially blamed mis-communication between TPE ATC and SQ crew as well as poor temporary runway centerline light markings although they admitted mistake weeks later.

I do prefer SQ over BR but not for safety reasons. SQ inflight service is simply more polished than BR.

BTW, when did taxing into a wrong gate become air safety incident? This type of incident happens from time to time. Most will just announce a gate change. They cannot easily do a gate change in SIN due to the fact that security is done at gate lounge. Any change will require time consuming re-screening of all passengers.

Last edited by TerryK; Dec 6, 2014 at 6:39 am
Old Dec 6, 2014, 9:23 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
If you have a problem with BR, don't fly any other airline on the planet. Jeez man, relax.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 8:30 pm

BR also nearly hit a mountain near LAX.

I spoke to a flight attendant who worked for Eva. She says it is just as unsafe as China Airlines, just does not get publicized as much.

Last edited by s0ssos; Mar 1, 2018 at 10:46 pm
Old Mar 1, 2018, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by s0ssos
BR also hit a mountain near LAX.

I spoke to a flight attendant who worked for Eva. She says it is just as unsafe as China Airlines, just does not get publicized as much.
BS.

1. EVA near miss at LAX was caused by controller not using proper terminology and not confirm read back.

2. Statistics doesn’t lie. BR is way safer than CI.

Probably a a disgruntled ex-flight attendant.
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
I travelled on BR225/5 Nov from TPE to SIN, airplane landed and was taxi into gate D32 uneventfully. After the airplane was parked at D32, aerobridges were not connected and nothing happened. 5 minutes later captain came on PA and announced that we were waiting for tow-tug, which was puzzling because SIN is not LAX where airplane are towed into gate, not to mention that we were already at the gate. Tow-tug arrived 10 minutes later and airplane was pushed out of D32 and towed in D34!!! BR captain didn't offer further details on what happened, and the ground staff all said they didn't know what happened when I asked them.

So I wrote online feedback to EVA and CAAS separately. CAAS replied that BR225 was informed D34 but pilot made a mistake and went to D32. EVA, however, blamed it on miscommunication by SIN ATC for the wrong gate information. It seems pretty clear that it was EVA pilot who made the mistake and went to the wrong gate since all the departing passengers on BR226 were all waiting at D34. However, the airline kept blaming SIN ATC and pretended to be the innocent party. Very irresponsible of EVA management to push away all their responsibilities. If the pilot landed on wrong runway, maybe they will blame it on miscommunication by ATC again.

I tried EVA because it offers pretty competitive fares and schedule ex-SIN to US and the Elite class is a decent product. But for now, I'm staying away from EVA, just don't feel safe when an airline kept blaming other people to cover up their own mistakes, especially when it is safety-related matters. In fact for my upcoming trip, I'm paying more to take SQ Y than what EVA is charging for Elite class which is a better hard product.
Unless you have ATC transcript. You have no proof right?

Last time I checked SQ had a fatal accident EVA hasn’t. Nor have a 77W engine caught fire.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.