Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How truthful and safe is EVA?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2018, 10:53 pm

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
I'd hate to have you as a backseat passenger when I was trying to park, for some reason I tend to overshoot into the next parking bay*

*you'd be fine when i'm driving, i've only had one accident, admittedly a head on crash with an oil truck who veered into oncoming traffic, but i've learnt from the lesson and will avoid oil trucks veering into oncoming traffic in future. True story.
Or be a Singaporean driver that turned on to wrong street and had a head on collision that killed passengers.

Or have an engine fire that burnt thru the car.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by 3TEN
BR seem to belongs to the category of airlines that "it is a good airline with good inflight experience if nothing goes wrong, but if something goes wrong, it is always someone else's fault and not due to the airline".

Thanks for the reminder on SQ006, it happened during bad weather and low visibility. SQ admitted their mistake, implemented additional procedures and moved on. While for BR, nothing is their fault and life goes on...
Last time I checked.

1. EVA air didn’t have a 77W engine caught fire and burnt through the wing like 9V-SWB did. In addition the crew didn’t carry out proper fuel leak test. SQ was lucky this wasn’t a bigger issue.

2. Heck I don’t think BR crew would use engine to hit jet bridge like SQ did.

All occurred within last 4 years.

So Einstein tell me which airline is safer?

Asiana wasn’t a safe airline prior to OZ214. It had three hull losses prior to that since 1993.

Stop the lies. You were just not happy with BR services and simply making something out of nothing.

Last edited by krispykrme; Mar 2, 2018 at 12:33 am
Old Mar 1, 2018, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by dvs7310
The fact that you've chosen SQ over BR because you're concerned about a pilot using the wrong runway is quite ironic. It just so happens that SQs only fatal accident (14 years ago) was precisely this problem when the pilot attempted takeoff on a closed runway and the plane hit construction equipment.

I suspect there is a lot more to the behind the scenes with this story than you are aware of, pilots don't just taxi into a gate without assistance. Someone on the ground (rightly or wrongly) had to have guided this plane into D32.
That is why most likely this is a ground error not pilot error.

Because just as you said, someone must have guided the plane to the gate.

Changi isnt exactly clean either. Tug fire caused damage to SQ777 just recently.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by SirJman
That's how you can tell OP is from Singapore...you should see comments on social media from Singaporeans...
So true.

Not trying to stereotype here.

Singaporean typically makes fuss about every little thing. Has probably the most arrogance and self importance. Generally think way highly about themselves.

I manage a team in Singapore for the last 5 years, nothing but constant whining and does minimum and want maximum benefit.

Last edited by krispykrme; Mar 2, 2018 at 12:31 am
Old Mar 2, 2018, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by krispykrme
So true.

Not trying to stereotype here.

Singaporean typically makes fuss about every little thing. Has probably the most arrogance and self importance. Generally think way highly about themselves.

I manage a team in Singapore for the last 5 years, nothing but constant whining and does minimum and want maximum benefit.
Funny I was just reading how SMRT (the Singapore Metro system) handled its problems.

I think if Y F Chang was going to run a country, it would be like Singapore. If K Y Lee was going to run a corporation, it would be like Evergreen. I still don't know whose problem it is here. In this minor case, neither organization is going to tell the truth to outsiders but I know BR well enough to say it would have dealt with the pilots if it was their mistake.

The Taiwanese can be as "... makes fuss about every little thing. Has probably the most arrogance and self importance." as the Singaporeans. It seems to me part of this has to do with a small country and social media where everything is magnified.

For the BR defenders here, BR is not perfect. The LAX incident was ATC but how can the pilots be not aware of the situation taking off to the east? Then there was the YYZ hit the light pole incident.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 10:13 am
Suspended

Programs: AC
Quite frankly anyone who compares CI's safety record to BR's is nothing short of insane. They shouldn't even be in the same sentence.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by username
Funny I was just reading how SMRT (the Singapore Metro system) handled its problems.

I think if Y F Chang was going to run a country, it would be like Singapore. If K Y Lee was going to run a corporation, it would be like Evergreen. I still don't know whose problem it is here. In this minor case, neither organization is going to tell the truth to outsiders but I know BR well enough to say it would have dealt with the pilots if it was their mistake.

The Taiwanese can be as "... makes fuss about every little thing. Has probably the most arrogance and self importance." as the Singaporeans. It seems to me part of this has to do with a small country and social media where everything is magnified.

For the BR defenders here, BR is not perfect. The LAX incident was ATC but how can the pilots be not aware of the situation taking off to the east? Then there was the YYZ hit the light pole incident.
No one is saying BR is perfect. But to say it’s worse then SQ. I think not.

i also disagree with Singaporean vs Taiwanese. My teams are scattered throughout China, Taiwan, and Singapore. Singapore team remain the worse team for me to manage. The amount of backstabbing within the team, each exaggerates their performance, stealing other teams accomplishment. Overall this is the weakest team. Reason why I am reducing presence by attrition.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 6:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by krispykrme

No one is saying BR is perfect. But to say it’s worse then SQ. I think not.
I have flown BR and SQ extensively. I am Caucasian and my wife is Taiwanese, I don't speak an ounce of Mandarin. I prefer SQ marginally, and my wife prefers BR, by a large margin. I think it comes down to the skill of the crew when it comes to command of the English language. I know I speak and interact less with people if I don't speak their language (well, or at all). That said, personally I find SQ crews to be more uniform in service delivery, and as a whole, better. I also find SQ's book the cook food to be better than BR, but both airlines are absolutely fantastic, leaps and bounds better than the disaster that my home airline, Air Canada, is.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
I have flown BR and SQ extensively. I am Caucasian and my wife is Taiwanese, I don't speak an ounce of Mandarin. I prefer SQ marginally, and my wife prefers BR, by a large margin. I think it comes down to the skill of the crew when it comes to command of the English language. I know I speak and interact less with people if I don't speak their language (well, or at all). That said, personally I find SQ crews to be more uniform in service delivery, and as a whole, better. I also find SQ's book the cook food to be better than BR, but both airlines are absolutely fantastic, leaps and bounds better than the disaster that my home airline, Air Canada, is.
I prefer BR over SQ, but I speak the language, so I agree with your hypothesis; one is likely to find BR better when the crew doesn't have to try to speak English. Their command of the English language can vary significantly more than SQ or CX crew.
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 3:51 pm

I actually prefer SQ simply due to better catering and hard product (although the new SQ J in A380 is a disaster).

BR service is better and genuinely cares more aboust customer. SQ crew are just like uniform robot. SQ crew simply doesn’t care nor genuine.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Dave510
I prefer BR over SQ, but I speak the language, so I agree with your hypothesis; one is likely to find BR better when the crew doesn't have to try to speak English. Their command of the English language can vary significantly more than SQ or CX crew.
I'm honestly not so sure about that - I've heard plenty of complaints about BR service from native Mandarin speakers, often echoing the complaints we see here on FT. And while I find BR FA English skills to be quite poor sometimes (and I've complained about it before on this forum), there's never been any actual service problem resulting from the lack of English ability on any my BR flights. Ironically, I've had more service issues speaking English on BA of all carriers (including one flight in BA F where my FA was a non-native English speaker and brought the wrong courses during meal service due to misunderstanding my request).

Of course, I do agree that BR FA English ability is very poor compared to my recent experiences on NH and JL (haven't flown SQ/CX in several years, so less meaningful to compare).
Old Mar 5, 2018, 5:08 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by gengar
I'm honestly not so sure about that - I've heard plenty of complaints about BR service from native Mandarin speakers, often echoing the complaints we see here on FT. And while I find BR FA English skills to be quite poor sometimes (and I've complained about it before on this forum), there's never been any actual service problem resulting from the lack of English ability on any my BR flights. Ironically, I've had more service issues speaking English on BA of all carriers (including one flight in BA F where my FA was a non-native English speaker and brought the wrong courses during meal service due to misunderstanding my request).

Of course, I do agree that BR FA English ability is very poor compared to my recent experiences on NH and JL (haven't flown SQ/CX in several years, so less meaningful to compare).
I think it's natural for BR FAs to reduce interaction with English speaking passengers if they're not comfortable with the language.

I've never experienced any cause for complaint (as far as service goes) on a BR flight, but I might just be easy to please?
Old Mar 6, 2018, 6:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dave510
I think it's natural for BR FAs to reduce interaction with English speaking passengers if they're not comfortable with the language.

I've never experienced any cause for complaint (as far as service goes) on a BR flight, but I might just be easy to please?
I find it also depends on the route. Generally speaking, routes from N. America to TPE will have FAs that can speak English from "ok" to "very well", with the purser usually being someone who can speak English fluently, without concern. This command of the English language drops for flights on BR intra Asia, as an example, but yes, I agree, I've never had a serious issue with not being able to conversate with a BR employee.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:10 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I find it also depends on the route. Generally speaking, routes from N. America to TPE will have FAs that can speak English from "ok" to "very well", with the purser usually being someone who can speak English fluently, without concern. This command of the English language drops for flights on BR intra Asia, as an example, but yes, I agree, I've never had a serious issue with not being able to conversate with a BR employee.
BR doesn't crew separately though. Everyone is all over the system scheduling wise as they are certified for all aircraft types(except for the newbies, they start off on the 777). BR generally does one long haul followed by 1-3 short haul and then another long haul.
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:29 pm

Programs: IML GOLD, Bonvoy LTPE, WOH Globalist, AAEXPLT
Quite frankly anyone who compares CI's safety record to BR's is nothing short of insane. They shouldn't even be in the same sentence.
Well said, LOL.... although the last 5-10 years seem to be pretty uneventful when it comes to "big" incidents on China Airlines side... EVA's got their fair share of hiccups... Mt Wilson near LAX, and hitting a light pole at YYZ... That being said, both airlines seem to be pretty OK these days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.