Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands
Reload this Page >

EVA AIR Elite Class Premium Economy Review (777)

EVA AIR Elite Class Premium Economy Review (777)

Old Sep 19, 2014, 4:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
I flew on BR Elite Class from TPE to SIN RT. While the OP's review is pretty much spot on (except for the wines, I think BR knows what they are doing in the wine category as the ones I had were ones anybody could find in UA BF), I must add one thing: while the recline is suitable, the legrest is a joke for anybody taller than 5 ft 8 inches or 172 cm (that's a guess. I personally am 6 ft 1). There is no way the insufficient legrest could possibly induce sleep, rather it distracts from it.

I understand BR caters to an Asian crowd (I am Asian btw), but I find this part of the 777-300ER lacking, especially since BR is positioning it as a long-haul aircraft to all of their North American destinations. Sure it's a bonus for BR, as airlines with premium economy ie. UA do not even have a legrest but seriously, the legrest is just awful for tall people trying to relax or even sleep.

Last edited by mjcewl1284; Sep 19, 2014 at 4:25 am Reason: fixed initial
Old Sep 23, 2014, 7:06 pm

Programs: Thai
I too Prefer the CX product, but they have recently priced themselves out of the market for me. Looking at pricing for a possible trip for LAX to BKK in January, CX is $600 more for PE than EVA or China Airlines new PE. China's PE seats are the type with a non reclining seat with seat pads that "slide" forward in the shell. This type of seat has proven very unpopular on older CX planes. But they do appear to have two separate leg rests. One for they back of your legs and another for your feet. At 6', I find both EVA and CX leg rests to be useless.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 10:19 am

The review is spot-on. I do miss the first generation Evergreen Deluxe class on the 744 - I think the last final 744 Combi will be phased out by year end. But, anything beats UA....
Old Sep 27, 2014, 3:48 pm

Thanks for the review! I flew Elite class a couple years ago on a 777-300ER, and I recall having a footrest then. I wonder why some of their new ones don't have it in Elite class.

Also, I know you mentioned they're offering the WiFi for free now, but did they have any information how much WiFi would normally cost?
Old Sep 28, 2014, 11:37 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
So I'm booked to fly YVR-TPE in PE next month. It's on a 747. Am I correct in inferring that the seat will be more comfortable than what's been discussed on the 777?

I didn't see any mention of pillows in the report. What's the word on the pillow?
Old Sep 28, 2014, 2:27 pm

Programs: EVA Diamond, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by transportprof
So I'm booked to fly YVR-TPE in PE next month. It's on a 747. Am I correct in inferring that the seat will be more comfortable than what's been discussed on the 777?
You will be on 74W (newer version) that has the same Elite seat as the 777. The big comfortable Economy Deluxe seats only available in 74E (Combi).
Old Sep 29, 2014, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by asiadxer
You will be on 74W (newer version) that has the same Elite seat as the 777. The big comfortable Economy Deluxe seats only available in 74E (Combi).
Thanks. Good to know, so I don't set my expectations too high. Still sounds better than United E+, especially the service.

Is Taiwanese beer also sweeter than others (since the discussion of wine suggested it was close to cough syrup in sweetness)?
Old Oct 2, 2014, 5:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Originally Posted by transportprof

Is Taiwanese beer also sweeter than others (since the discussion of wine suggested it was close to cough syrup in sweetness)?
If you get Taiwan Beer, which is Taiwanese beer, there's a certain tang, which is kind of like ginger, is evident in the beer. It's not sweeter than other beers (and frankly, I've heard it constantly being compared with a glorified Heineken, which is an insult to Taiwan Beer).
Old Oct 2, 2014, 5:08 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
If you get Taiwan Beer, which is Taiwanese beer, there's a certain tang, which is kind of like ginger, is evident in the beer. It's not sweeter than other beers (and frankly, I've heard it constantly being compared with a glorified Heineken, which is an insult to Taiwan Beer).
Like Heineken? No way.

It is actually closer to Budweiser (US) (which some might take as even more insulting). Works fine for me though.

Particularly on the flight home (to the US) I am very happy to find something that does not taste of either formaldahyde or Heineken.

Still sounds better than United E+, especially the service.
The big win for me is that the seat is wider. I don't have to sit with my shoulders pulled in to fit.

Last edited by exwannabe; Oct 2, 2014 at 5:14 pm
Old Oct 3, 2014, 4:15 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, EVA Infinity Mileage Lands, Alaska mileage plan
I am 6 feet 4 inches and I have the same problems with the leg rest. I now pretty much do not use it. I recline the seat and I have a blow up pillow for lumbar support and I can sleep much better than I used to. I found the old Evergreen Deluxe much more comfortable.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:14 am

I just returned from a YVR - TPE round trip in Elite Class. Equipment was the 747, not combi.

The seat comfort was better than UA's E+, but worse than Air New Zealand's (old) Premium Economy (top deck on their old 747s). This is my gold standard for premium economy.

I found it strange that EVA didn't put Premium Economy on the upper deck of their 747s. That would have increased my enjoyment of the ride, even if nothing else were different.

Overall, the extra $200 (approx) was worth it, but I don't feel that I got more than my money's worth. It's a good service, but not great.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:14 am

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Do you have a pic of just the amenity kit and contents alone ? Seems like this is a newer version of the kit and looks very similar to TK's Y class pensil case kit. (Y class not Comfort class) Earlier this year I got one that looks like a coin purse, just toothbrush/paste and lip balm.

I am not familiar with TPE's fare, but $2000 still seems quite steep, I would assume Y class fare would be a lot less than $1700 when it is low season. As I had looked before going to HKG from JFK (since BR doesn't go to ORD where I live), elite class is often $600+ more than regular Y. UA and NH however is already hovering around $1000-$1200.
BR will in 2016
Old Nov 24, 2014, 8:32 pm

I am contemplating a trip to YYC. AC HKG-YVR-YYC is about HKD22k per person while with BR HKG-TPE-YVR (and then YVR-YYC with AC) works out at HKD15k per person. With two of us, that is quite a bit of a saving. Obviously longer flying time, but the main long haul sector i.e. to YVR would be in PE.

Any thoughts on how the AC PE compares to the BR PE?
Old Jan 7, 2015, 1:25 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by theworld
I am contemplating a trip to YYC. AC HKG-YVR-YYC is about HKD22k per person while with BR HKG-TPE-YVR (and then YVR-YYC with AC) works out at HKD15k per person. With two of us, that is quite a bit of a saving. Obviously longer flying time, but the main long haul sector i.e. to YVR would be in PE.

No experience on either, but I can't imagine AC is worth $7K HKD over BR on hard product alone. May be if the time saving is substantial & the convenience of 1 less connection would make it worth while.

LAX
Old Jan 7, 2015, 7:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by theworld

How much is your time worth to you? No one can answer these $ questions...

If it were me, solely based on my experience of BR in J, I would take BR. I don't fly PE at all (no, i'm not paying for the tickets, just redeeming, and I only redeem J). If the question was posed as AC vs BR for J, BR, even if it means that routing...which by the way doesn't add that much time to your itin.

See my post that went relatively viral on AC when I compared them to BR.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23913489-post1.html

Last edited by superangrypenguin; Jan 7, 2015 at 7:46 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.