FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/eva-air-infinity-mileagelands-761/)
-   -   EVA AIR Elite Class Premium Economy Review (777) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/eva-air-infinity-mileagelands/1606758-eva-air-elite-class-premium-economy-review-777-a.html)

theworld Jan 8, 2015 12:58 am

Just a heads up, since my post we ended up buying the fare. Yes, the connection times are not great, but the HK$29k (c.USD 3.5k) savings sure are and its not as though we will exactly be slumming it. Also as *G, that should help matters with the layovers.

drvannostren Aug 29, 2015 4:28 pm

What I'd like to ask if anyone knows, cuz I can't seem to find the answer, is PE free on some shorter routes? I just bought my first ever BR fare today and was going to select seats. On my 747 flight YVR-TPE, no PE seats were available for selection, nor was I expecting that as I didn't pay for that.

But then 777 TPE-MNL I notice the forward cabin 2-4-2 (which according to seatguru is "Elite") was available to be selected for no charge.

FWIW I am a Star Gold holder, but it's via AC and for the most part having Star Gold gets you nothing on other airlines as far as on-board stuff goes.

I'm assuming as it's only a 2 hour flight from TPE-MNL I'm not gonna get full international service, but the seats were there to be picked so I figured why wouldn't I take one of those?

Originally Posted by theworld (Post 23893081)
I am contemplating a trip to YYC. AC HKG-YVR-YYC is about HKD22k per person while with BR HKG-TPE-YVR (and then YVR-YYC with AC) works out at HKD15k per person. With two of us, that is quite a bit of a saving. Obviously longer flying time, but the main long haul sector i.e. to YVR would be in PE.

Any thoughts on how the AC PE compares to the BR PE?

FWIW I'd go with BR in this case too. From the sounds of things AC's AVOD would be better, but that BR probably beats it in all other aspects. AC is using the 777HD which in Y is 3-4-3, PE it's 2-4-2, having sat in those PE seats between YVR-YYZ I can't say they're anything really special. It's OK and with intl service it'd be better (I don't have any major problems with AC service/food like others do) but for the difference in price? Nah.

superangrypenguin Aug 29, 2015 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by drvannostren (Post 25348287)
What I'd like to ask if anyone knows, cuz I can't seem to find the answer, is PE free on some shorter routes? I just bought my first ever BR fare today and was going to select seats. On my 747 flight YVR-TPE, no PE seats were available for selection, nor was I expecting that as I didn't pay for that.

But then 777 TPE-MNL I notice the forward cabin 2-4-2 (which according to seatguru is "Elite") was available to be selected for no charge.

FWIW I am a Star Gold holder, but it's via AC and for the most part having Star Gold gets you nothing on other airlines as far as on-board stuff goes.

I'm assuming as it's only a 2 hour flight from TPE-MNL I'm not gonna get full international service, but the seats were there to be picked so I figured why wouldn't I take one of those?

FWIW I'd go with BR in this case too. From the sounds of things AC's AVOD would be better, but that BR probably beats it in all other aspects. AC is using the 777HD which in Y is 3-4-3, PE it's 2-4-2, having sat in those PE seats between YVR-YYZ I can't say they're anything really special. It's OK and with intl service it'd be better (I don't have any major problems with AC service/food like others do) but for the difference in price? Nah.

No. Elite is like PY on AC (international, not domestic widebody PY). You have to pay for them.

grant2112 Aug 29, 2015 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by drvannostren (Post 25348287)

My experience is that on shorter routes (i.e. intra-Asia to TPE) there is the possibility of getting bumped up one cabin.

On two occasions I have had a free upgrade with full-fare Y ticket from MFM-TPE. Once was on EVA's 77N where I was immediately allowed to select a PE seat after purchase even though I had purchased Y. The second time was on a narrow body (probably MD90, but possibly A321) when I was booked in Y and had selected a seat in Y. Upon check in at the airport I was handed a ticket with an F seat.

On both occasions I was traveling as *G on UA with my UA FF# on the ticket. Not sure if this played a part or not.

TTC192Rocket Apr 18, 2017 7:27 pm

Sorry for the bump, but I was looking at YYZ-TPE-BKK rt in Premium Economy in a few months. 777-300ER on all legs, of course.

I was looking at Row 26 and was wondering if the flushing from the lavs will be bothersome? FWIW, I'll have noise-canceling headphones and/or ear plugs when sleeping or watching movies.

Row 20-25 are obviously other choices, but I usually like sitting in the last row of whichever cabin I'm flying. :)

Thanks for any insight!

cdp88 Apr 18, 2017 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by TTC192Rocket (Post 28198147)
Sorry for the bump, but I was looking at YYZ-TPE-BKK rt in Premium Economy in a few months. 777-300ER on all legs, of course.

I was looking at Row 26 and was wondering if the flushing from the lavs will be bothersome? FWIW, I'll have noise-canceling headphones and/or ear plugs when sleeping or watching movies.

Row 20-25 are obviously other choices, but I usually like sitting in the last row of whichever cabin I'm flying. :)

Thanks for any insight!

I have just flown TPE-JFK in premium economy. We were in row 24. I would avoid the last row if possible because of proximity to the lavatory. The guy sitting in 26c seemed to be annoyed when I walked past. For what it's worth I enjoyed the flight and thought PE was good value and made the long journey easier.

TTC192Rocket Apr 19, 2017 3:52 pm

Thanks, cdp88. I will likely select something in 24 as it seems BR blocks the bulkhead as well as the last row on the dates I checked.

booyaa Apr 26, 2017 11:23 pm

Anyone know if any of the armrests in Elite class (premium economy) are moveable?

hayzel7773 Apr 27, 2017 9:14 am

Originally Posted by booyaa (Post 28234912)
Anyone know if any of the armrests in Elite class (premium economy) are moveable?

They are not.

lodestar Aug 7, 2017 6:12 am

Window-less Window Seat? Seafood over Regular PE?

Am travelling on BR PE TPE->JFK for first time and wondered about 2 items:
  1. the only Window seat available was Row 23 without window; my goal is too sleep or watch movies most of the flight; is the loss of a window that big a deal? Seatguru seems to think so.
  2. ordered Seafood Meal for short leg to TPE, left out special meal for long JFK leg; I have no dietary restrictions; is Seafood Meal for longer leg better than their PE selection?

ArtVandelay Industries Aug 8, 2017 1:58 am

Originally Posted by lodestar (Post 28657602)
  1. the only Window seat available was Row 23 without window; my goal is too sleep or watch movies most of the flight; is the loss of a window that big a deal? Seatguru seems to think so.
  2. ordered Seafood Meal for short leg to TPE, left out special meal for long JFK leg; I have no dietary restrictions; is Seafood Meal for longer leg better than their PE selection?

I'm pretty sure all Row's 23 have a window; it's rows 21 and 24 that don't have a window. I just flew JFK>TPE>SGN on row 21 and it didn't bother me one single bit that I didnt have a window, and normally I prefer one (although maybe that has to do with me liking the fact that I can rest my head against a wall). Honestly I barely noticed that there wasn't a window next to me but that could have been all the wine I had!

I fly Elite alot from JFK>TPE>SGN and back. For the shorter leg from Taipei to Saigon I have never noticed the seafood meal being worse than the long leg to New York or back. I really think its all the same. If it isn't the difference is extremely marginal

hayzel7773 Aug 8, 2017 3:59 am

Originally Posted by lodestar (Post 28657602)

Row 23 has a window on 77A aircraft.

HawaiiO May 7, 2019 5:08 pm

Thinking of booking a Premier Economy flight between TPE and SEA.
Wonder if it is worth it?

Any thoughts?

tks

Asquared1 May 7, 2019 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by HawaiiO (Post 31077535)
Thinking of booking a Premier Economy flight between TPE and SEA.
Wonder if it is worth it?

Any thoughts?

tks

I've done it the couple times I have booked to SE Asia from PDX/SEA. It's the best value I could find if you don't want to sit in the back and don't want to pay for Business. Probably one of the better PE services as well.

MisterBill May 19, 2019 11:47 pm

So I know this is an old post but there was a recent reply. Is the issue of lack of foot rests still a problem? The original post said they only had then on 2 aircraft but that was 5 years ago. How comfortable is PE now? I'm looking at JFK-SIN and PVG-JFK on EVA. The price is excellent and other than a 4 hour layover in TPE (for which I will use Priority Pass for lounge access) the flight schedules aren't that bad.