FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/eva-air-infinity-mileagelands-761/)
-   -   EVA Air Elite or Cathay PE LAX to BKK? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/eva-air-infinity-mileagelands/1587634-eva-air-elite-cathay-pe-lax-bkk.html)

laaussie Jun 22, 2014 5:39 pm

EVA Air Elite or Cathay PE LAX to BKK?

I'm trying to decide between these 2 airlines for a PE type seat/cabin. I notice that the Eva Elite cabin is nearly twice as big as most PE cabins (not sure if that makes a diff)?
I'm used to flying Qantas PE so whatever I choose I'll probably be a bit disappointed in comparison:(

Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks

username Jun 22, 2014 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by laaussie (Post 23078753)
whatever I choose I'll probably be a bit disappointed in comparison:(

In that case, choose Cathay :D

coolfish1103 Jun 22, 2014 9:18 pm

Since it will be one-stop anyway, whichever is cheaper.

CharlieA Jun 23, 2014 2:51 am

EVA Elite class

I have flown transpacific on EVA many times. Just from looking at the Cathay seats I would not fly on them. The Cathay seats look like an economy class seat that is just a shade wider. The EVA seat is really a step up. Seat Guru shows the Cathay seats as standard seats and EVA as recliner seats.

That being said Cathay is a great airline and EVA is just very good.

laaussie Jun 23, 2014 12:31 pm

Thanks for all your advice..please keep it coming, I don't have to make a decision for a few weeks.

Thanks

ak333 Jun 23, 2014 3:08 pm

I have flown both over the same route, so here are my thoughts.

BR will have you in Elite the entire way. Not all CX HKG-BKK flights have the PE seat yet; many do, but not all.

I found the BR seat had slightly better recline than the CX seat.

IMHO CX food was slightly better as you get a J meal for the first meal, but the standard Y for the second.

The price has been better lately for BR Elite than for CX PE, but that is always subject to change.

Lately, I've been going for what works better for me vis a vis mileage accrual. I have lifetime oneworld status, but I don't need many more miles on BR/*A carriers to retain my BR Gold, so I will more than likely keep to the * side until I requalify, unless a smokin' deal comes along on CX.;)

Carfield Jun 23, 2014 7:18 pm

I really think both BR and CX offer a decent premium economy class product with similar seats and seat pitch and even same luggage allowance (2 pc of 23kg/55lbs), and I will base my decision on:

1. Price - go with the cheaper one
2. Planes - EVA Air - Elite class all the way from BKK to LAX and back - CX has this plane lottery on flights between HKG and BKK
3. Mileage - are you an Oneworld (CX) or Star Alliance person (BR)?
4. Time - Going via HKG or TPE has similar flight time, and TPE is a bit smaller and easier for connections, but HKG is a nicer airport with more things to do in between. Go with the airline that gives you the best schedule

Both are good options!

Carfield

TennisNoob Jun 23, 2014 8:06 pm

Price in this case

You have Mileageplus and Thai right?
You could fly eva and request the miles to be put there instead.

That could be a good option

Price is always #1

Cameron38 Jun 26, 2014 12:08 am

I've flown both several times. If price is the same, I prefer CX. Better service, Better food, and the seat cushion seems softer than EVA PE seat (This apply's to the older 777's, not the new 77A planes which appear to have the same seats as CX). HK Airport is also nicer than Taipei. It's true on CX you might not get PE from HK to BKK. Last time I got a really really Old 777 200. I'm flying EVA this July from LAX to BKK because the price was about $400 less than CX for some reason.