EVA Air 777-300ER Wifi?

Old Sep 23, 2018, 1:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
My wife and I qualify for both the American Express subscription and the Mastercard one. When you get to the page to login, there's a second page you navigate to where you select the Boingo option.

Boingo Wi-Fi Plans
Does the Amex Boingo plan include inflight wifi? I thought it was restricted to ground based hotspots only?
Old Sep 23, 2018, 2:46 am

Programs: BR Diamond, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Does the Amex Boingo plan include inflight wifi? I thought it was restricted to ground based hotspots only?
i havent gotten my Amex Boingo plan to work on BR.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Amex Boingo doesn't work. It only offers on-ground hotspots.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 12:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by hayzel7773
Amex Boingo doesn't work. It only offers on-ground hotspots.
Thank you - sounds like the only option for accessing BR wifi is to pay either onboard or via a voucher, correct?
Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:22 am

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Thank you - sounds like the only option for accessing BR wifi is to pay either onboard or via a voucher, correct?
Yes, pay onboard or prior to the flight, or you can redeem your IML miles for WiFi vouchers.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:23 am

I see there's an option for 15mb you can buy on board. What's the time limit?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:23 am

The 15mb plan lasts for the entire flight however like most carriers the speed is limited to 64kbps so it's ideal for messaging.

The Boingo works fine if you've got a Mastercard account. I've got speeds up to 7mbps download on the TPE-BNE route but things were a bit slower on the 777's.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by henrus
The Boingo works fine if you've got a Mastercard account
Good to hear! ^
Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:23 pm

Worth noting that for the Boingo login can be a bit funny. I have now used it on around 4 EVA flights and a handful of other carriers.

It works fine on the computer but often on a mobile device, it may just display an unexpected error page (this seems to happen across all Deutsche Telekom airlines).

The easiest way is to reload the page in "desktop mode". On Android, it's a simple as selecting "Desktop site" from the dropdown menu. iOS is a little more difficult as it involves selecting the "resquest desktop site" but you need to do it at the right time (just after selecting Boingo login but before it's loaded).

Only Mastercard get access to the Boingo inflight roaming for free, other Boingo accounts have to pay $0.19 per minute once connected, so in that case, I'd just buy one of the EVA plans. My Speeds were fine the ping hovered around 800ms with an average download speed of 5mbps and a pathetic 0.07mbps upload.

Much faster than the OnAir service used by Emirates but much slower than a recent Cathay flight where unlimited data was US$20 for the flight and speeds were up to 46mbps download (when over Europe), this dropped back to 5-10mbps over Russia. Pings were a slightly faster 707ms and upload 0.7mbps - Cathay uses the new GoGo 2Ku service.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by henrus
The 15mb plan lasts for the entire flight however like most carriers the speed is limited to 64kbps so it's ideal for messaging.

The Boingo works fine if you've got a Mastercard account. I've got speeds up to 7mbps download on the TPE-BNE route but things were a bit slower on the 777's.
Ended up getting 3 of the 15 MB passes for BR32. I probably only needed to get 2 because only used a couple MB of the last one. Overall, it was a better deal than the 24 hr pass given I just needed to Slack, Line, WhatsApp, etc and send out a few emails.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.