Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands
Reload this Page >

Advice on EVA Air booking, airline web site vs ITA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2014, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold

I'm looking at booking on EVA Air's YVR-TPE service, in their Elite class. I'd like to credit the miles to my Mileage Plus account.

Any advice on whether it makes a difference to book through EVA's web site or through an internat travel agency like Expedia? Would booking directly through EVA make it easier to do online seat selection, check for sked updates, and credit miles to United?

Or does it make no difference which booking channel I use?

Thanks!
Old Jan 22, 2014, 5:04 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
I have never seen EVA's cheap fare classes post on Expedia or such. So by all means price them on both before buying elsewhere.

It previously was the case that seats and meals were only available online if you had booked via eva.com, but I believe this is no longer true.

Putting your UA number on the ticket will be no issue.

EDIT: If you are connecting past the west coast into the US, then eva.com also does not give best prices. You need to work the system, look around, and perhaps even book separate tickets. If you are looking at Biz TPAC, price that from the west coast and figure out how to make it work after that.

Last edited by exwannabe; Jan 22, 2014 at 5:10 pm
Old Jan 22, 2014, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Since you're originating in YVR, I'd also check with the many asian travel agencies in Vancouver as they usually have specials that expedia and other airline websites don't. BR's website is also good.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 2:48 am

A reminder for bookings on EVA's website: sometimes they would ask the paying CC to be shown at check-in, or alternatively, you can bring the card to local EVA office (at YVR) to be verified.

Therefore, I would make sure that I use a travel site or a local TA when booking for someone else. Make sure you have physical access to the paying CC when booking on evaair.com.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by joe4mavs
Therefore, I would make sure that I use a travel site or a local TA when booking for someone else. Make sure you have physical access to the paying CC when booking on evaair.com.
Not all the time either. I forgot what card I used the last time I traveled with EVA. I limit the cards I travel with and chose poorly that evening. I had no time to go home and get it, but fortunately, I know my card #s by memory and rattled off the numbers and expiration date when they insisted on seeing the card.

That was enough to satisfy the check-in counter clerk.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
EVA ask me 9 times out of 10. Including award bookings where only the tax was paid on CC. (I travel in Asia and Europe.)
Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:29 pm

For this reason I always book EVA (YYZ-TPE) via Travel agent, never got asked
only one time I booked via Expedia and didn't get asked CC either
Sadly I've seen one family turned away when they didn't have the CC at YYZ check-in

It makes no difference (seat, meal selection)
You enter your EVA PNR at www.evaair.com and you can choose seat and meal
Old Feb 5, 2014, 12:41 pm

Programs: United Mileagplus
As a data point. I made a reservation using Priceline.com and I was not asked to show the credit card. Also I was able to make the seat and meal selection on EVA's website. Note "Elite" class is not there on Expedia.com but available on Priceline.com. You can earn some cash back by booking online travel agent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.