Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on an EVA 777-300ER

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on an EVA 777-300ER

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 21, 19, 2:38 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: hayzel7773
Wiki Link
Answers to Most Frequently Asked Questions
  • Yes, Royal Laurel (RL) cabin is available on ALL 777s
  • Wifi is available on all 777s when it works.
  • 77N/Seatguru V1 (38J/64W/211Y) - No longer in service
  • 77A/Seatguru V2 (39J/56W/238Y) - 9-abreast Y cabin with WiFi
  • 77M/Seatguru V3 (38J/64W/221Y) - 9-abreast with WiFi and 10 extra seats added in the rear Y cabin
  • 77B/Seatguru V4 (39J/56W/258Y) - 10-abreast Y with new color scheme
  • Kitty Jets are: Shining Star Jet (77A) and Hand-in-Hand (77M) - Destinations are LAX, ORD, and SIN(225/226) on select days. Began Hello Kitty service to ORD on 31MAY17(Wed, Fri, Sun). LAX service(BR5/6) began on 27MAR18(Tue, Thurs, Sat). Effective Oct 27, 2019, TPE-LAX service will be shifted to TPE-SFO.
  • Seasonal changes are to be expected in the summer months; 77B aircraft will be shifted onto European routes and 77A/M aircraft will substitute in on North American services.

777 Fleet Facts/Plan - 34 777-300ERs Total as of November 2018 - RL is available on All 777s - configuration reported based on FTer trip report noted in this topic
  • 0x 77Ws (Original Configuration with PL recliner J seats)
  • 0x 77Ns / Seatguru V1 38-64-211 (First Configuration with RL lie flat J seats)
  • 13x 77Ms / Seatguru V3 38-64-221 (Retrofitted from 77N with 10 more seats added in the rear Y cabin) converted from 77Ns starting summer of 2015/ended in 2H2016 - B-16703 (Hello Kitty Sanrio Family), B-16705, B-16706, B-16707, B-16708, B-16709, B-16710, B-16711, B-16712, B-16713, B-16715 (Star Alliance), B-16716, B-16717(Leased to Air NZ)
    • Currently flies on TPE-LAX (Two night time flights, varies on the daytime flight), TPE-AMS (via BKK), TPE-CDG, TPE-LHR (via BKK), TPE-VIE, TPE-VIE (via BKK), Variable SFO(BR7/8 only)
  • 11x 77As / Seatguru V2 39-56-238 in Service - B-16718, B-16719, B-16720, B-16721, B-16722 (Hello Kitty Shining Star), B-16723, B-16725, B-16726, B-16727, B-16728, B-16729
    • Currently flies on TPE-JFK/IAH/ORD/YYZ/Variable LAX and SFO service
  • 10x 77B / Seatguru V4 39-56-258 with 10-abreast economy cabin - B-16730, B-16731, B-16732, B-16733, B-16735, B-16736, B-16737, B-16738, B-16739, B-16740
    • Currently flies on TPE-SFO [2x daily(BR17/18/27/28) w/ variable daytime service(BR7/8)], TPE-SEA, TPE-YVR
  • Total of 36 777-300ERs + 5 777 Fs in the fleet when all aircraft are delivered

+ for 77A/M/B (New/Refurbished/10-abreast)
  • Wifi/SMS - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/eva-...i-service.html
  • Improved AVOD - larger screen, multi-point, tablet style interaction(Tablet only available on 77A and 77B in RL), new Android-based IFE system on all aircraft
  • USB/Power at every seat
  • AVOD box removed from bottom of seat - more leg room

Links to other Discussions
Link to first post in this thread with seat maps
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 28, 14, 1:44 pm

Thanks for the update. That makes some seats even smaller than CI! For SFO-TPE, what's the more comfortable choice for Y and F?

Also, there's no SFO-KHH. Is CI more convenient because they also fly domestic to KHH from TPE, or how do people do SFO-KHH when on BR? It's kind of a pain to get yourself and your bags to the THSR.
Old Mar 1, 14, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by tya View Post
I literally had the same concern about the entertainment box occupying legroom so I paid extra attention the last time I flew their 77W and located those annoying boxes. However it was a few years ago, and I just forget the details after I posted my comments onto seatguru (as I believed it would be a reliable permanent source that I can always go back and check). Unfortunately they seem to wash out all records after BR changed 77W configurations several times.

One thing for sure is that A and H will have those boxes, as they are aisle seats and BR assume pax do get extra space to stretch. I think it was D that has entertainment boxes located for the center rows, so that means G will be the best choice since you get the aisle and no box. But then again it's just my unreliable memory and needs to be verified.
Last month I was in Elite, BKK to LHR, seat 23F and this seat had a entertainment box in the foot well, the location of this box does stop you from stretching your left leg straight out.
Old Apr 20, 14, 5:02 pm

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by flyhen View Post
In April, wife and I will be on the LHR - BKK - TPE flight. We are sitting in 5D/5G. any particular thoughts on those two seats?
I've just booked LHR - BKK return for some friends - a couple. Have you been on the flight yet? Which seats would you recommend for a couple (flying in anything other than economy for the first time if that is relevant)?
Old Apr 26, 14, 3:29 am

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by username View Post
On the outbound, I had a seating mix-up. My pre-reserved seat was gone for some reason. I was too distracted to look at the seat number on boarding pass - since there was a picture of a cat on the boarding pass

When I got onboard, I realized my window seat became a middle seat in RL. So, I had a brief experience in the center. I found I could talk to my neighbor leaning forward a little. That seems to be the main question people ask.

They found a seat in the 2nd RL cabin - in row 8. I would recommend against that row. The problem is not so much the galley but the FA's opening and closing the closet right in front of the seat throughout the flight. The clicking sound and light that gets turned on when the closet opens is annoying.

On the return, I was able to get exit row in economy. Apparently, exit rows are only assigned at the airport to people who ask. In the economy cabin, there are 2 exit rows: 45 and 60.

The following applies to the 77N, it seems the space is reduced for the 77A for at least row 60.

45 is the first row of Y. The upsides are:

1 - window seat has very little intrusion of the emergency exit slide
2 - more front of the cabin
3 - lavs near the row belong to the Elite cabin so there is a curtain
4 - there is no galley

the downsides are:

1 - no window
2 - people from the Elite cabin and FAs would open the curtain and it can be annoying if you are in the aisle seat
3 - there is a passage way between the two sides of the airplane. The light in the passage way STAYS ON the entire flight. Eyeshades are needed to sleep
4 - it gets really cold
5 - FAs use that passage way to park their meal and duty-free carts (used to serve the Elite cabin) - it actually interferes with the aisle seat

So, it seems to me, for row 45, the better deal would be the window seats.

Row 60 seems to be a better deal. The down side is it is further back.... The emergency exit chute sticks out a lot more but the row is set a lot more back from the door. So, unless one is really tall (like 6'6"), it should not interfere with the window passenger. There is a window.

Row 60 is by the galley and lav. However, the galley seems to be lights out completely during the overnight flight - the one in the back of the plane is used. There is a decent amount of space so I don't think the lav traffic would be too annoying.
For RL.

I like row 1 best. As there are small cabinet to stow things. Last time I flew on BR. The attendant was able to store bread i bought in TPE to SFO.
Old Apr 29, 14, 2:45 pm

Row 1 (bulkhead rows in general, really) is blocked out for high status mileage members and usually doesn't open up until checkin or not soon before.
Old May 2, 14, 4:25 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold
I have been flying IAH - BKK 3 times a year for the last 4 years.
My favorite seat was PE on Thai LAX-BKK non-stop before it was discontinued.
Since then I have just stuck with UA.
Last month after UA discontinued NRT-BKK I was on ANA that leg and it was one of the most uncomfortable seats I had flown.
I have booked EVA LAX-BKK for next trip in Elite for the first time since they now Star Alliance.
At 6'4" 300lb I figure it is worth the extra cost.
I am still searching for which seats in Elite to avoid due to the VOD boxes, if I don't find, I will post after my return.
Old May 2, 14, 4:30 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by louie-m View Post
I've just booked LHR - BKK return for some friends - a couple. Have you been on the flight yet? Which seats would you recommend for a couple (flying in anything other than economy for the first time if that is relevant)?
Anyone? This is in royal laurel class.
Old May 2, 14, 7:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by BigVenz View Post
I have been flying IAH - BKK 3 times a year for the last 4 years.
My favorite seat was PE on Thai LAX-BKK non-stop before it was discontinued.
Since then I have just stuck with UA.
Last month after UA discontinued NRT-BKK I was on ANA that leg and it was one of the most uncomfortable seats I had flown.
I have booked EVA LAX-BKK for next trip in Elite for the first time since they now Star Alliance.
At 6'4" 300lb I figure it is worth the extra cost.
I am still searching for which seats in Elite to avoid due to the VOD boxes, if I don't find, I will post after my return.
Glad to see you consider your fellow passengers in economy. Many many years ago I had the awful experience of a passenger who spilled over into my seat on a flight from BKK to TPE. I told him he should buy two seats and I told the FA I would not sit next to this man. I was given another seat very quickly thankfully.
Old May 2, 14, 4:34 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
...At 6'4" 300lb I figure it is worth the extra cost.
Yes, Elite is worth the price.

You might try calling up and begging for one of the 2 center aisle seats in the second row of Elite. They have extra leg room as the row in front of you is only 3 seats wide. They block this, but might release it for you if you simply say you are 6-4 and really need the room.

Caution, the first row in elite has bassinets.

I do feel kind of dumb that I have never bothered to note the AVOD box patterns. I will also make a note to do so, but am not on BR until July.
Old May 2, 14, 4:45 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
It really matters very little. Each row is identical. IMO, the middle of the front cabin gets a little less traffic,

The 2 center seats would be the normal choice, but if one really likes a window you could do the window/center. Neither is really easy to carry out a conversation.
Old May 2, 14, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mayodave View Post
Glad to see you consider your fellow passengers in economy. Many many years ago I had the awful experience of a passenger who spilled over into my seat on a flight from BKK to TPE. I told him he should buy two seats and I told the FA I would not sit next to this man. I was given another seat very quickly thankfully.
Thanks but my gut does stay in my seat, no "spilling over" more about shoulder width and extra legroom.
Just a large frame guy.
Old May 2, 14, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by exwannabe View Post
It really matters very little. Each row is identical. IMO, the middle of the front cabin gets a little less traffic,.
On different flight but same plane config, FA moved me from row 8, advising slightly shorter length. Window seats (A & K), little more shelf space....otherwise identical.
Old May 2, 14, 10:55 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Priority Club Platinum, AA, USAir, ANA,
If you want to talk to each other, the two middle seats would be best. Husband and I were in 1A and 2A, we did not get to talk or even see each other at all.
Old May 5, 14, 9:45 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, 20 years
Thanks but my gut does stay in my seat, no "spilling over" more about shoulder width and extra legroom.
Just a large frame guy.
Even in Elite which I fly all the time, I would not care to sit next to you for a 15 hour transpacific flight. The Elite seat is not that much bigger than economy, so it would be 15 hours of shoulder rubbing with another male. No offense intended.
Old May 5, 14, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Chang11 View Post
Even in Elite which I fly all the time, I would not care to sit next to you for a 15 hour transpacific flight. The Elite seat is not that much bigger than economy, so it would be 15 hours of shoulder rubbing with another male. No offense intended.
Was this necessary? I prefer a self-aware and considerate big guy who does not overflow over some snob any time

Search this Thread