FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/eva-air-infinity-mileagelands-761/)
-   -   First trip on EVA after dropping from Diamond to Gold (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/eva-air-infinity-mileagelands/1495391-first-trip-eva-after-dropping-diamond-gold.html)

ak333 Aug 19, 2013 7:33 am

First trip on EVA after dropping from Diamond to Gold

I promised an update from my first trip back as a Gold card member. This won't be one of my full trip reports, just some observations.

First of all, there are more Gold members around than I remember from the past. On both my SEA-TPE and TPE-BKK flights passengers with CG on their boarding passes were numerous. I did notice less Diamond members, so I'm guessing that those eight year Gold Diamond members have started to fade away.

I was in Elite class and the flights were fine, no complaints there. When I checked in at SEA, there was an agent I didn't know who gave me a green tag for my carry on instead of an orange one which I thought was interesting. I was greeted like a lost friend by the man that runs the lounge in SEA, and again later my one of the lead agents who knows me, but that was the extent of the recognition.

There was no on board recognition for the multitude of Golds at all on either flight. I did see some Diamonds get a "hi" form the Chief Purser but that was it for any recognition for any one in the Elite cabin.

There were a couple positives that I have to point out that I haven't seen anyone mention anywhere yet and they are both on the 77N. The first is the new safety video - done by the same Taiwanese company that makes those instant animation videos. I actually watched the entire thing. The other is the "heads up" display that is on the moving map while climbing and descending.

I know this will come up, so I was directed to the Infinity lounge. I think the changes on that side make the lounge much nicer than it used to be. With the Silvers forced to The Club, it wasn't crowded at all. I also liked that EVA actually put toilets in the shower rooms this time as well.

SaigonCyclo Aug 20, 2013 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by ak333 (Post 21297555)
I promised an update from my first trip back as a Gold card member. This won't be one of my full trip reports, just some observations.

First of all, there are more Gold members around than I remember from the past. On both my SEA-TPE and TPE-BKK flights passengers with CG on their boarding passes were numerous. I did notice less Diamond members, so I'm guessing that those eight year Gold Diamond members have started to fade away.

I was in Elite class and the flights were fine, no complaints there. When I checked in at SEA, there was an agent I didn't know who gave me a green tag for my carry on instead of an orange one which I thought was interesting. I was greeted like a lost friend by the man that runs the lounge in SEA, and again later my one of the lead agents who knows me, but that was the extent of the recognition.

There was no on board recognition for the multitude of Golds at all on either flight. I did see some Diamonds get a "hi" form the Chief Purser but that was it for any recognition for any one in the Elite cabin.

There were a couple positives that I have to point out that I haven't seen anyone mention anywhere yet and they are both on the 77N. The first is the new safety video - done by the same Taiwanese company that makes those instant animation videos. I actually watched the entire thing. The other is the "heads up" display that is on the moving map while climbing and descending.

I know this will come up, so I was directed to the Infinity lounge. I think the changes on that side make the lounge much nicer than it used to be. With the Silvers forced to The Club, it wasn't crowded at all. I also liked that EVA actually put toilets in the shower rooms this time as well.

Thanks for the report. I've never been Diamond, but cannot remember ever not being greeted as a Gold over the last 4 years. Hope things aren't changing.

ak333 Aug 20, 2013 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by SaigonCyclo (Post 21307651)
Thanks for the report. I've never been Diamond, but cannot remember ever not being greeted as a Gold over the last 4 years. Hope things aren't changing.

The last time I was Gold was five years ago, and there was a greeting. And I did see it sporadically on other flights since then. One assistant purser was responsible for the Golds and another the Diamonds.

jimbo99 Aug 21, 2013 2:43 am

I got the greeting when I was gold on LHR. Soon I'll "fade away" (!!) back to gold so it will be interesting to see if I still get it.

But ak333's numbers interested me. On BR67/68 typically there are just a couple of diamonds and 3 or 4 golds in PL (now RL)/Elite. If I get the chance I look at the list pinned in the galley!

Perhaps US routes are more dominated by FFs that collect miles (mileages in EVA speak!) and build status.

I need to decide whether to continue with IML or switch. I'd like to know if IML golds are getting anything more than *golds (eg in waitlisting for paid tix as well as awards/upgrades, recognition, seat choice). If there is no benefit, I'll stick my miles elsewhere.

SaigonCyclo Aug 29, 2013 11:38 pm

Just flew BR15 and BR 391. No Gold recognition on either flight. I was also directed to the Infinity Lounge, which was fine. Seemed to have a few more breakfast options than I remember from before.