BR12 vs BR02 - TPE>LAX

Old Aug 12, 2013, 12:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
BR12 vs BR02 - TPE>LAX

I am bringing a family member from TPE to LA for a visit and I see award seats on both BR12 and BR02, which appear to depart for LA within 50 minutes of each other, but both seem to have a pretty poor on-time record.

For the experienced EVA flyers here, would you choose one over the other, or is there a flight to avoid due to cancelation or long delay risk?
Old Aug 12, 2013, 12:26 pm

Programs: BR Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I am bringing a family member from TPE to LA for a visit and I see award seats on both BR12 and BR02, which appear to depart for LA within 50 minutes of each other, but both seem to have a pretty poor on-time record.

For the experienced EVA flyers here, would you choose one over the other, or is there a flight to avoid due to cancellation or long delay risk?
From my own experience, it is not the BR flight (BR 12/ BR2, or even BR16 in that regard) that you need to worry about!
Rather, it is the length of the passport control line and the custom line @ LAX that should concern you-- especially if you have an onward connecting flight to catch.
If you and your family member both have GE access, then it should be relatively easy for you, otherwise.... Good Luck!!
Old Aug 12, 2013, 12:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
No onward connection - LAX is the final arrival point. Obviously they could be there for an hour or so at arrival, and my inclination is to book the earlier departure because it's one less int'l arrival group standing in line at customs they will need to deal with, but it seems to have the worse on time stats of the two flights and I'm also worried about cancelation risk.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 2:16 pm

I would agree that Immigration is a big pain at LAX, especially if you land just after one of the many A-380's that are flying into there now.

I've flown BR12 multiple times in the last few years. Don't remember any delays. Biggest issue has been remote parking instead of a gate.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I came in on an OZ flight last November that arrived about the same time at BR 12. Oh boy, it was crazy. The Immigration lobby was FULL. I had to squeeze between the wall and the lines to get to the Global Entry side. It took a minute for Global Entry though.

Then the scary part - all the baggage carousels were full so no bags were coming out. Finally the bag came out but you still had to take the quick line (for which OZ gave some passengers a red slip - not based on status or COS but based on connecting flight) to get out to make the connecting flight.

Is it better now with the TBIT expansion done?
Old Aug 14, 2013, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by username

Is it better now with the TBIT expansion done?
TBIT expansion are all on the departure side. Nothing is changed on arrival, including the long lines at immigration and chaotic atmosphere at custom that rivals a TPE night market, except no delicious stuffed pig intestine or stinky tofu.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bzcat
TBIT expansion are all on the departure side. Nothing is changed on arrival, including the long lines at immigration and chaotic atmosphere at custom that rivals a TPE night market, except no delicious stuffed pig intestine or stinky tofu.
Amazingly, now you can to to night markets in LA: http://www.626nightmarket.com/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.