Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EVA, I am totally confused

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2013, 4:02 am
Original Poster

EVA, I am totally confused

I am totally confused regarding EVA pricing policy.Just booked a LHR-BKK in RL, after the following procedure.
Price online £2048, after deducting 25K miles £1963.As I have a few miles that expire soon, I thought I would try to book one way RL and Elite the other way and use miles to upgrade the Elite. Spoke to London and they told me they could not do it but to contact an agency (They recommended “Ours Travel).
Spoke to Ours Travel, yes we can do it, RL one way, Elite return, price £2555!!!.Ours Travels own website quotes both way RL as £2048.
So I booked online, deducted the 25K miles(maximum) and paid £1963, which now leaves me with a whole bucket of miles that will expire before I can use them.
Rant over
Ps
EVA’s website shows the SAS Lounge for London, has it changed back from the AA lounge or the website not been updated for at least three(?) years?
pps
Looking forward to my first taste of RL and being able to sleep on a "flat bed"
Old Aug 8, 2013, 2:31 pm

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
I've used Ours Travel, they know the ropes more than any other UK agent IMHO. In fact after I've sat in their office for a while I begin to think I'm in Taiwan so don't need to buy a ticket there.

YEP - back to the SAS Lounge at LHR. (Pity.... I preferred the AA lounge.)
Old Aug 8, 2013, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
I would have just purchased Elite and upgrade one segment.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Standard airlines pricing for all airlines. Two one-ways are much more expensive the one round-trip.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jimbo99
YEP - back to the SAS Lounge at LHR. (Pity.... I preferred the AA lounge.)
Presumably that means the joint SAS/AC lounge at T3?
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:19 am
Gus

stranger
The SAS London Lounge, or at least that used to be its name when BR used AC as handling agents at LHR in the past.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 11:42 pm

Programs: VA Gold, QF Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by coolfish1103
I would have just purchased Elite and upgrade one segment.
Any idea on what the cost for the upgrade would be?
Old Aug 10, 2013, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gus
stranger
The SAS London Lounge, or at least that used to be its name when BR used AC as handling agents at LHR in the past.
The London Lounge. A joint venture between SAS and AC. Not the "SAS London lounge."
Old Aug 11, 2013, 3:29 am
Gus

Thanks for the correction stranger, I like the London Lounge more than the other T3 lounges I have tried, No 1 Traveller, Servisair and AA Admirals lounge. Of course the Virgin Clubhouse is my favourite but I have only managed the one visit.

As per CeeGee origial post, the BR fares from LHR to BKK have increased since the Royal Premium cabin was introduced on 067/068, one could buy a PL return for about £1700, now it is £2000.
I used to book through Ours Travel quite a lot but their old web site was always very poor with inaccurate fares information etc, I think various other consolidators offer a better service than Ours.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by Gus
I used to book through Ours Travel quite a lot but their old web site was always very poor with inaccurate fares information etc, I think various other consolidators offer a better service than Ours.
True - their website's rubbish. But they can deal with gold/diamond priority stuff and I like the way they'll pick up the phone and jabber away in Chinese to the EVA office down the road and fix things up.

Not sure about pricing - I'm still buying most of my tickets at the other end. It's only the odd time I need to buy a ticket in the UK and there's a complication I use Ours.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 3:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Too many to list
I just did several dummy booking on BA for same route and its way cheaper than EVA with a far superior product on the ground and in the air
Old Aug 11, 2013, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by kniesel
Any idea on what the cost for the upgrade would be?
I was just telling the OP to fly Elite one segment and upgrade to RL for the other with his miles rather than trying to price one-ways like this. EVA will charge you the difference between the cheapest available cabin code in RL minus whatever you paid for Elite divided by 2, which isn't worth it.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 2:18 am

Programs: TG ROP Gold
I tried to book a similar ticket. RL LHR-BKK and Elite BKK-LHR and was told they no longer allow mixed class tickets. So my choice is upgraded (but overpriced IMO) RL or downgraded (by 2") Elite. I plumped for Elite but I'm not happy to have lost my best value option on the route.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Just a small thing to watch out for when using miles on EVA to upgrade (which I was not aware of until I spoke to London)
The miles you are using must be valid on the dates you are travelling, not your booking date.
ie if you are booking in August to travel in October but your miles expire in September, you cannot use them.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by CeeGee
Just a small thing to watch out for when using miles on EVA to upgrade (which I was not aware of until I spoke to London)
The miles you are using must be valid on the dates you are travelling, not your booking date.
ie if you are booking in August to travel in October but your miles expire in September, you cannot use them.
Funny that, I ran into this just a couple weeks ago when booking an upgrade on LHR-TPE via the TPE office. Not sure if it was always that way. They ignored the miles which expire between now and the flight, deducting the miles from the first ones to expire after flight date. Makes it a bit complicated if I change the flight date!

I assume with award tickets it is still as it was: ie you only need the miles when they issue the ticket rather than when you fly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.