Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gengar
Upgrades to business class on EVA Air (BR) using United Airlines (UA) miles can be achieved via Star Alliance Upgrade Awards (SAUA). On BR, booking classes Y, B, and K are eligible for SAUA.

Reference links:
The general (not UA-specific) SAUA on BR thread on this FT forum: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/eva-...award-eva.html
Official UA information page about SAUA: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...de-awards.html
Official UA interactive award mileage chart: https://www.united.com/web/en-us/app...ardTravel.aspx
Official UA page to request SAUA (requires login): https://www.united.com/web/en-us/app...rdUpgrade.aspx

There exists limited debate as to whether SAUA availability on BR is tied to fare bucket "I" or fare bucket "Z". Initial confusion arises from the fact that fare bucket "I" is what indicates SAUA availability on many other *A carriers; therefore by default "I" is the fare bucket often associated with SAUA and is listed in some third-party tools such as KVS.

However, extensive reports from FT'ers indicate that SAUA availability on BR is actually tied to fare bucket "Z"; a total of nine different FT'ers have reported upgrading via SAUA despite I=0, with many of these FT'ers reporting Z>0. Additionally, at least one FT'er has reported being unable to upgrade when I>0 and Z=0. (For reference, see posts [63] [64] [65] [70] [71] [72] [76] [77] in the general SAUA thread and post [118] from this thread.)

Z fare bucket on BR is not displayed on BR's website or on third-party tools such as ExpertFlyer; the only way to check Z availability is to call BR directly. FT'ers have suggested calling the Taipei call center (internationally, +886 225011999 ) and specifically not mentioning SAUA or upgrades and only asking for Z fare bucket information, as discussing SAUA can only serve to confuse the phone agent.
Print Wikipost

Steps to EVA upgrade w/ UnitedMiles

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2014, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by jack25
I'm just curious, is it really that much of a difference between the economy seats and the elite seats on a 777-300ER? I was able to book a Q class economy seat for I think $1200 or so a while back and although it's not upgradeable i was just looking at the economics of say booking a B,Y or K ticket and then using my points to upgrade to Elite.

Based on the EVA page, the Elite seats are a little wider with better cushion and it has a 120 V outlet for your computer. I never sat in the Elite section and was wondering if it is worth the additional money and points.
I cannot speak to the seats in Elite class, but if you are using UA or other Star Alliance miles to upgrade a B,Y or K then you are upgrading to Royal Laural Business class, not Elite (K is already Elite) and RL Business class is a huge difference.

DAK
Old Apr 9, 2014, 4:39 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
I'm just curious, is it really that much of a difference between the economy seats and the elite seats on a 777-300ER? I was able to book a Q class economy seat for I think $1200 or so a while back and although it's not upgradeable i was just looking at the economics of say booking a B,Y or K ticket and then using my points to upgrade to Elite.

Based on the EVA page, the Elite seats are a little wider with better cushion and it has a 120 V outlet for your computer. I never sat in the Elite section and was wondering if it is worth the additional money and points.
The Elite seats are quite a bit better than Y, they are certainly not just the Y+ seats sold by the US airlines. The width advantage (2-4-2 vs 3-3-3) is a big win as you do not spend the flight rubbing elbows. I would put it as similar to a DL domestic F.

For me, it is something I can survive a TPAC flight in. But a far, far cry from RL (which is a modern flat bed 1-2-1).

There is no upgrade path for you on this.

But the Elite cabin probably only costs about $1900 or so, not a bad deal.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 10:29 am

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by dkerr
I cannot speak to the seats in Elite class, but if you are using UA or other Star Alliance miles to upgrade a B,Y or K then you are upgrading to Royal Laural Business class, not Elite (K is already Elite) and RL Business class is a huge difference.

DAK
So you're saying that if I was to get a K ticket and if I can upgrade, I can use my UA miles to upgrade to Royal Laural Business? Is that the seats that turn into a bed?

When I was looking at the seating map on EVA's site, I thought there were only three types of seats; the economy, the Elite and the Royal Laural (transforming bed). I didn't realize there were another type as well.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 5:49 pm

So you're saying that if I was to get a K ticket and if I can upgrade, I can use my UA miles to upgrade to Royal Laural Business? Is that the seats that turn into a bed?

When I was looking at the seating map on EVA's site, I thought there were only three types of seats; the economy, the Elite and the Royal Laural (transforming bed). I didn't realize there were another type as well.
Yes. But...

Evaair flights to USA are three classes... Economy, Premium Economy (Elite) and Business (Royal Laurel). Star Alliance upgrade awards are from Economy to Business class. Specifically from fare classes B and Y. You cannot use Star award to upgrade to Premium Economy. For those airlines that operate a Premium Economy cabin you can upgrade from that into Business class as well, again only from specific designated fare classes -- in the case of EVA Air, from K class. Hence all the posts earlier stating that you must have a B, Y or K class ticket in order to upgrade.

With that knowledge why bother buying a K class fare if you intend and are able to use a Star Alliance upgrade -- the best strategy is to buy the cheapest fare that is upgrade eligible, in other words a B fare if it is available. I think the only reason to buy a K fare is if the upgrade is not available at time of booking, but might become available later, and the thought of flying in economy is unacceptable to you.

EVA Air has Royal Laurel, Premium Laurel and Business Class. All are business class, the difference is the seats. All long haul to the USA is Royal Laurel. Premium Laurel and Business Class is on their older aircraft used regionally in Asia and maybe some other long haul routes until they are upgraded to Royal Laurel. Only Royal Laurel is flat bed.

DAK.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 8:50 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by exwannabe
The Elite seats are quite a bit better than Y, they are certainly not just the Y+ seats sold by the US airlines. The width advantage (2-4-2 vs 3-3-3) is a big win as you do not spend the flight rubbing elbows. I would put it as similar to a DL domestic F.

For me, it is something I can survive a TPAC flight in. But a far, far cry from RL (which is a modern flat bed 1-2-1).

There is no upgrade path for you on this.

But the Elite cabin probably only costs about $1900 or so, not a bad deal.
That is a good guide. The Elite seat is indeed very similar to what most US carriers have in domestic F. The recline leaves a lot to be desired, but the pitch and seat width are very nice.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
Hi OP and anyone else that had similar experience,

Once you purchased the ticket from EVA, how long does it take you to find out from UA that upgrade is confirmed?

Can anyone help me check if star alliance (using UA miles) upgrades are available for the following itinerary?

LAX-TPE 3/30/15 (prefers BR 1)
TPE-LAX 4/14/15 (prefers BR 2)

Thanks in advance
Old Nov 7, 2014, 2:15 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by LAX/HKG
LAX-TPE 3/30/15 (prefers BR 1)
TPE-LAX 4/14/15 (prefers BR 2)
There is no Award/Upgrade Availability at the moment:

[KVS Availability Tool 7.7.0/Diamond - Awards/StarAlliance-7D]
Code:
LAX  Los Angeles Intl CA US [KLAX]
TPE  Taipei Metro / Taiwan Taoyuan Intl TW = TPE TSA [RCTP]
MON  30 Mar 2015 (27 Mar 2015 - 02 Apr 2015) | 1 Seat

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Award Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ------------------
BR         1       LAX   00:05 -3  TPE   05:35 -2  77W  0   FS/  CS-  YS-
BR         15      LAX   00:30 -3  TPE   06:00 -2  77W  0   FS/  CS-  YS+
BR         11      LAX   16:50 -3  TPE   22:20 -2  77W  0   FS/  CS-  YS+
BR         1       LAX   00:05 -2  TPE   05:35 -1  ***  0   FS/  CS-  YS-
BR         15      LAX   00:30 -2  TPE   06:00 -1  ***  0   FS/  CS-  YS-
BR         11      LAX   16:50 -2  TPE   22:20 -1  ***  0   FS/  CS-  YS-
BR         1       LAX   00:05 -1  TPE   05:35     ***  0   FS/  CS-  YS-
BR         15      LAX   00:30 -1  TPE   06:00     ***  0   FS/  CS-  YS+
BR         11      LAX   16:50 -1  TPE   22:20     ***  0   FS/  CS-  YS+
BR         1       LAX   00:05     TPE   05:35 +1  ***  0   FS/  CS-  YS-
BR         15      LAX   00:30     TPE   06:00 +1  ***  0   FS/  CS-  YS+
BR         11      LAX   16:50     TPE   22:20 +1  ***  0
BR         1       LAX   00:05 +1  TPE   05:35 +2  ***  0   FS/  CS-  YS-
BR         15      LAX   00:30 +1  TPE   06:00 +2  ***  0   FS/  CS-  YS-
BR         11      LAX   16:50 +1  TPE   22:20 +2  ***  0   FS/  CS-  YS+
BR         1       LAX   00:05 +2  TPE   05:35 +3  ***  0   FS/  CS-  YS+
BR         15      LAX   00:30 +2  TPE   06:00 +3  ***  0   FS/  CS-  YS+
BR         11      LAX   16:50 +2  TPE   22:20 +3  ***  0   FS/  CS-  YS+
BR         1       LAX   00:05 +3  TPE   05:35 +4  ***  0   FS/  CS-  YS+
BR         15      LAX   00:30 +3  TPE   06:00 +4  ***  0   FS/  CS-  YS-
BR         11      LAX   16:50 +3  TPE   22:20 +4  ***  0
[KVS Availability Tool 7.7.0/Diamond - Awards/StarAlliance-7D]
Code:
TPE  Taipei Metro / Taiwan Taoyuan Intl TW = TPE TSA [RCTP]
LAX  Los Angeles Intl CA US [KLAX]
TUE  14 Apr 2015 (11 Apr 2015 - 17 Apr 2015) | 1 Seat

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Award Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ------------------
BR         12      TPE   18:40 -3  LAX   15:20 -3  77W  0   FS/  CS-  YS-
BR         2       TPE   19:20 -3  LAX   16:10 -3  77W  0   FS/  CS-  YS+
BR         16      TPE   23:55 -3  LAX   20:45 -3  77W  0   FS/  CS-  YS+
BR         12      TPE   18:40 -2  LAX   15:20 -2  ***  0   FS/  CS-  YS-
BR         2       TPE   19:20 -2  LAX   16:10 -2  ***  0   FS/  CS-  YS+
BR         16      TPE   23:55 -2  LAX   20:45 -2  ***  0   FS/  CS-  YS+
BR         12      TPE   18:40 -1  LAX   15:20 -1  ***  0   FS/  CS-  YS-
BR         2       TPE   19:20 -1  LAX   16:10 -1  ***  0
BR         16      TPE   23:55 -1  LAX   20:45 -1  ***  0   FS/  CS-  YS+
BR         12      TPE   18:40     LAX   15:20     ***  0   FS/  CS-  YS+
BR         2       TPE   19:20     LAX   16:10     ***  0   FS/  CS-  YS-
BR         16      TPE   23:55     LAX   20:45     ***  0   FS/  CS-  YS+
BR         12      TPE   18:40 +1  LAX   15:20 +1  ***  0   FS/  CS-  YS-
BR         2       TPE   19:20 +1  LAX   16:10 +1  ***  0   FS/  CS-  YS+
BR         16      TPE   23:55 +1  LAX   20:45 +1  ***  0   FS/  CS-  YS+
BR         12      TPE   18:40 +2  LAX   15:20 +2  ***  0   FS/  CS-  YS+
BR         2       TPE   19:20 +2  LAX   16:10 +2  ***  0
BR         16      TPE   23:55 +2  LAX   20:45 +2  ***  0   FS/  CS-  YS+
BR         12      TPE   18:40 +3  LAX   15:20 +3  ***  0   FS/  CS-  YS+
BR         2       TPE   19:20 +3  LAX   16:10 +3  ***  0   FS/  CS-  YS+
BR         16      TPE   23:55 +3  LAX   20:45 +3  ***  0   FS/  CS-  YS+
Old Nov 7, 2014, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by LAX/HKG
Once you purchased the ticket from EVA, how long does it take you to find out from UA that upgrade is confirmed?
If the space is available, you get immediate confirmation at the UA *A upgrade request web page. You can make the request as soon as you have ticket numbers from EVA, which is within minutes of purchasing.

DAK
Old Nov 9, 2014, 6:59 pm

Programs: A3*G, Marriott Titanium+LTG
I just went through this in September:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...al-laurel.html

I found that ANA *A Award Availability was not equivalent to upgrade availability. You have to call in and request Z inventory for a B/Y upgrade.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
Thanks every one for your input.

My experience is similar to what PaclantFlyer described. Even though the KVS tool, and united.com both showed no business award availability, I called EVA and asked specifically for upgrades. The representative at EVA told me seats were available. I booked the ticket on EVA.com then got immediate confirmation of the upgrade at United.com. It was rather easy and painless.

At least based on my experience, there seems to be different inventory for mileage awards and upgrade awards.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by PaclantFlyer
I just went through this in September:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...al-laurel.html

I found that ANA *A Award Availability was not equivalent to upgrade availability. You have to call in and request Z inventory for a B/Y upgrade.
I'm actually very pleased to have this confirmed. I think it is good for airlines to manage award tickets separate from award upgrades. It just make sense and if I were an airline I would rather have the paid economy ticket plus miles for an upgrade than to give away the seat completely free.

DAK.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA
Need some help from you travel savvy folks! I'm looking to upgrade my B class ticket on EVA.

I called EVA who said there is one upgrade seat available on that flight, but that I had to work through UA. Went to UA SAUA website, but it resulted in an error message. I called UA, but they say there is no availability, and they can't do anything.

1. Any recommendations for next steps?
2. If there truly is no upgrade available right now, will EVA release RL seats in the future? I read somewhere that they release RL seats T-14.
3. Can UA see upgrade inventory for this BR flight?
Old Jun 6, 2015, 4:06 am

Programs: EVA Diamond, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by dc_gooner
Need some help from you travel savvy folks! I'm looking to upgrade my B class ticket on EVA.

I called EVA who said there is one upgrade seat available on that flight, but that I had to work through UA. Went to UA SAUA website, but it resulted in an error message. I called UA, but they say there is no availability, and they can't do anything.

1. Any recommendations for next steps?
2. If there truly is no upgrade available right now, will EVA release RL seats in the future? I read somewhere that they release RL seats T-14.
3. Can UA see upgrade inventory for this BR flight?
Try making a dummy booking for RL on your desired date. If there are no D-class fare (Business Special/Business WOW) available, then most likely there is no upgrade available.
April 2015 BR 1, my waitlisted RL upgrade (EVA mileage) was approved around T-14.
June 2015 BR 16, RL *A upgrade was not available on my desired date, so I called EVA in March, asked her about availability of RL upgrade. The agent told me RL upgrade was available if I depart 2 days early. So I changed my EVA reservation, went to UA SAUA website, got the upgrade using UA mileage.

So if you are flexible on dates, there may be upgrades available around your desired dates. Otherwise, you can wait for T-14, I have seen RL opened up D-class at T-7 to T-48hours. I have no idea if UA can see the last minute released BR upgrade inventory.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by asiadxer
Try making a dummy booking for RL on your desired date. If there are no D-class fare (Business Special/Business WOW) available, then most likely there is no upgrade available.
April 2015 BR 1, my waitlisted RL upgrade (EVA mileage) was approved around T-14.
June 2015 BR 16, RL *A upgrade was not available on my desired date, so I called EVA in March, asked her about availability of RL upgrade. The agent told me RL upgrade was available if I depart 2 days early. So I changed my EVA reservation, went to UA SAUA website, got the upgrade using UA mileage.

So if you are flexible on dates, there may be upgrades available around your desired dates. Otherwise, you can wait for T-14, I have seen RL opened up D-class at T-7 to T-48hours. I have no idea if UA can see the last minute released BR upgrade inventory.
I tried the dummy booking in RL. It took me as far as entering cc info so I think there is availability.

The thing that is annoying is that EVA keep telling me there is upgrade availability but when I go to UA, they say none is available.

I'm not flexible on date so I think my best bet is to keep checking for upgrades up until my flight.

I'll take any other advice! Thx for your help!
Old Jun 7, 2015, 9:40 pm

Anybody with KVS (or another comparable program) willing to help me out? Looking for *A upgrade availability from economy to royal laurel. Thanks!

BR 1 - LAX-TPE - Aug 17
BR 12 - TPE - LAX - Aug 26

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.