Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EVA Air Royal Laurel Meals 2013 - 2021

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2016, 2:38 am

Can I check if there are snacks available for the flights? I'm taking BR35 and BR225, just in case I'm hungry between the meals. Can I rely on them or do I need to bring my own snacks/cup noodles?

I've only been on RL on 225, which I slept throughout right after meal service, then Elite class on the longer leg (which I provide my own cup noodles).

I know SQ provides snacks, NH provides Ippudo noodles, just checking for BR, and if I need to bring my own snacks.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 4:03 am

Programs: EVA Diamond, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by fone
Can I check if there are snacks available for the flights? I'm taking BR35 and BR225, just in case I'm hungry between the meals. Can I rely on them or do I need to bring my own snacks/cup noodles?

I've only been on RL on 225, which I slept throughout right after meal service, then Elite class on the longer leg (which I provide my own cup noodles).

I know SQ provides snacks, NH provides Ippudo noodles, just checking for BR, and if I need to bring my own snacks.
Long haul RL trans pacific flights normally have Beef Burger and Instant Noodle / Noodle Soup for snacks on request almost anytime.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by asiadxer
Long haul RL trans pacific flights normally have Beef Burger and Instant Noodle / Noodle Soup for snacks on request almost anytime.
Thanks, that's great to know. Maybe I'd just pack a little snacks for my kids just in case, instead of the full array of snacks I'd take if we are in economy.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 7:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by asiadxer
Or dim sum.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 8:25 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Perhaps we're seeing the first symptoms of cost-cutting fall out from the management change after that ridiculous family feud nonsense. Taiwanese businesses have a rather unsettling tradition of reaching the epitome of success, then throwing it all away in a fury of stupidity, HTC being the gold-standard example. Let's hope EVA maintains the high standards established by the previous CEO that propelled it to international success.
Originally Posted by hayzel7773
Who said there was a drop in service? Only bad thing I have noticed was the lack of lobster on an IAH flight. The "new leadership" is not new at all, the chairman was chairman of EVA Air before the previous chairman and the president was president of UNI Air, the subsidiary of EVA.

I agree. EVA is becoming worse and worse every time I fly them. Last year I flew EVA I threw an huge rant at them for forgetting to give me my food. Yes I Sat there for 2 hours in J and no flight attendant noticed.........

Just flew EVA an few days ago and service/food was just as bad. No one refilled my tea at all during meals or even offered me tea when I was awake for an few hours. Flight was 16.5 hours from IAH! No excuse for not offering snacks. Not only did they not have lobster but they didn't even have icecream!

EVA is starting to question me if UA actually has better service. Factually I know when flying UA they would ask if I'm interested into an snack when waking up from sleep.................

What I found super sad was when deplaning, the ONLY flight attendant saying good bye and thank you was the old Chief Pursuer of the flight. The other younger flight attendants just stood there STARING AT THE GROUND.

To add to my rant, EVA ground service has also been very terrible at both IAH & TPE. I could write an 10 page book about why I'm giving up on EVA but I'll just let these little points sum it up and the rest can be imagined.

Long story short I'm really glad I cancelled my EVA return and booked NH instead. Night and day when comparing these 2 airlines.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 9:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by hayzel7773
Who said there was a drop in service? Only bad thing I have noticed was the lack of lobster on an IAH flight. The "new leadership" is not new at all, the chairman was chairman of EVA Air before the previous chairman and the president was president of UNI Air, the subsidiary of EVA.
There are multiple reports of service issues growing at EVA, and the CEO before the one just ousted was no gem - EVA was nothing under his leadership and barely registered as a joke behind CI, which in itself is a significantly problematic carrier due to lax safety and operational standards (no Taiwanese I know, and I know many, will set foot on a CI flight).

The last CEO brought BR out of the dark ages, modernized it, updated its product, introduced innovation, joined Star Alliance and created Royal Laurel. The only thing he didn't do was ensure new-hire FAs were trained properly and adhered to proper standards of behavior, hence the onboard fistfights in the galley from time to time....now that he was ousted, it seems the culture he tried to create has gone by the wayside.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 12:20 pm

Programs: BR, VS, AF
Perhaps we're seeing the first symptoms of cost-cutting fall out from the management change after that ridiculous family feud nonsense. Taiwanese businesses have a rather unsettling tradition of reaching the epitome of success, then throwing it all away in a fury of stupidity, HTC being the gold-standard example. Let's hope EVA maintains the high standards established by the previous CEO that propelled it to international success.
Well said.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are multiple reports of service issues growing at EVA, and the CEO before the one just ousted was no gem - EVA was nothing under his leadership and barely registered as a joke behind CI, which in itself is a significantly problematic carrier due to lax safety and operational standards (no Taiwanese I know, and I know many, will set foot on a CI flight).

The last CEO brought BR out of the dark ages, modernized it, updated its product, introduced innovation, joined Star Alliance and created Royal Laurel. The only thing he didn't do was ensure new-hire FAs were trained properly and adhered to proper standards of behavior, hence the onboard fistfights in the galley from time to time....now that he was ousted, it seems the culture he tried to create has gone by the wayside.
It seems a lot of it was the different philosophies between Father and Son. K Chang had his father's trust to deviate - whether it is Kitty, Joining *A and RL. The other management teams probably just followed the father's old school style. Now both are gone, who knows where the company is going.

There is no doubt service is not as good. I think part of this was also they aimed too high. Recall they started the 744 with 2/3 of the lower deck configured with Economy Deluxe. I think they quickly realized it still came down to pricing and cost. Then they were trying to get the numbers good enough for IPO...

Cabin service is not consistently great with my limited experience. Like all airlines, it comes down to people. All I hope is they continue to maintain their safety record. Recent events (like typhoon handling, SFO landing, LAX ATC issue) worry me.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 8:23 pm
Suspended

I fly BR35 and 36 about twice a month, and have done so for many years.

BR crews are really worried about where things are going with the new CEO. They are worried about their jobs and worried about where the company is going.

However, their service has always been great. I am *G, but not with BR. Nonetheless, I have always taken the time to talk with them and to listen about how things are going. I have never EVER gotten off a BR flight where I feel like I've gotten anything except wonderful service. Mind you, I speak the language (Mandarin) and enjoy talking with cabin crew and I have always written comment cards to thank them for their service. I have never left a BR flight without some sort of gift from the cabin crew.

I find that being kind and respectful goes a long way, but I understand that I'm not the average flyer. I do >200,000 miles a year, and the majority of that on BR, but since I don't live in TPE or Taiwan, I'm not a member of the BR FFP. Nonetheless, I love flying on BR and have never had a poor flight. I've had an above average but not awesome flight, but the majority of my flights have been awesome.

Then again, I am an oddball. I've done YYZ TPE YYZ (immediate turn) just to fly with them (paid revenue).

Here's one thing I love about the new BR under the new CEO. No more anemic drink glasses!! The drink glasses are much bigger than before, although I miss the dim sum. Now it's some noodle dish but it still beats the N. American instant noodle crap that one gets as a late night snack!

I feel BR needs to improve their FA's english but all in all, I'll still fly them. This last incident with them in (where?) LA? where ATC messed them up - that has me concerned, but other than that, I feel their flight crews are OK. They fly in some harsh conditions (TPE in typhoon season) and do better than the Asiana's of the world
Old Dec 26, 2016, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
This is right on. However, I think there are 2 factors when it comes to BR:

1- BR is always playing catch up to CI. It's this playing catch up that always puts BR in a must compete mode and frankly, why BR is never complacent. The biggest issues I see with Taiwanese companies is they become complacent and then as bocastephen mentions, they flush it down the toilet. As a consultant in manufacturing, this is even more pronounced compared to the airline industry.

2- BR was already cost-cutting before this year. The short-haul meals have become even more unpalatable in the past 2-3 years. I pick on TPE-HKG frequently but that's because i just don't want them going down the CX wayside. Come to discover that other routes, such as TPE-SIN, have also become cost cutting casualties as well.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 9:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mjcewl1284

1- BR is always playing catch up to CI. It's this playing catch up that always puts BR in a must compete mode and frankly, why BR is never complacent. The biggest issues I see with Taiwanese companies is they become complacent and then as bocastephen mentions, they flush it down the toilet. As a consultant in manufacturing, this is even more pronounced compared to the airline industry.

2- BR was already cost-cutting before this year. The short-haul meals have become even more unpalatable in the past 2-3 years. I pick on TPE-HKG frequently but that's because i just don't want them going down the CX wayside. Come to discover that other routes, such as TPE-SIN, have also become cost cutting casualties as well.
BR is still miles ahead for meals on that route than im used to for a flight in North America.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 9:06 pm
Suspended

Neither of these assessments are correct.

EVA only launched in 1989 - although it is part of Evergreen Shipping, so it had a large and well-funded parent.

From its launch, it's been fairly innovative -

- 1st premium economy seating with Economy Deluxe (1992)
- 1st First Class seats (1992) that reclined 180 degrees into flat beds (on the upper deck of 744s)
- One of the 1st airlines to have seatback TVs (early 90s)
- It was one of the first airlines to offer 4-classes of service (early 90s)
- It has operated a modern fleet from Day 1, so there were no "dark ages" for it to come out of.

I don't recall BR ever having the safety issues of CI. One of its challenges has been getting route rights due to diplomatic relations with other countries. For example, for awhile its European gateway was Vienna.

Certainly joining an alliance was new, but I believe that had more to do with having *A accept BR as opposed to BR being alliance resistant. It may have had something to do with CA, NH, TG and SQ not wanting another SE Asian airline.

The current J product is excellent - so management over the past few years has done a good job -- what's new is with *A and its expansion in the US, more fliers are getting exposed to it.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Neither of these assessments are correct.

EVA only launched in 1989 - although it is part of Evergreen Shipping, so it had a large and well-funded parent.

From its launch, it's been fairly innovative -

- 1st premium economy seating with Economy Deluxe (1992)
- 1st First Class seats (1992) that reclined 180 degrees into flat beds (on the upper deck of 744s)
- One of the 1st airlines to have seatback TVs (early 90s)
- It was one of the first airlines to offer 4-classes of service (early 90s)
- It has operated a modern fleet from Day 1, so there were no "dark ages" for it to come out of.

I don't recall BR ever having the safety issues of CI. One of its challenges has been getting route rights due to diplomatic relations with other countries. For example, for awhile its European gateway was Vienna.

Certainly joining an alliance was new, but I believe that had more to do with having *A accept BR as opposed to BR being alliance resistant. It may have had something to do with CA, NH, TG and SQ not wanting another SE Asian airline.

The current J product is excellent - so management over the past few years has done a good job -- what's new is with *A and its expansion in the US, more fliers are getting exposed to it.
Alright then. Agree to disagree
Old Dec 26, 2016, 10:13 pm
Suspended

1- BR is always playing catch up to CI.
Alright then. Agree to disagree
How and where is BR playing catch-up to CI?

What areas of soft or hard product do you see CI being ahead of BR?
Old Dec 26, 2016, 11:47 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
How and where is BR playing catch-up to CI?

What areas of soft or hard product do you see CI being ahead of BR?
Its the other way around. CI is playing catchup to BR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.