FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/eva-air-infinity-mileagelands-761/)
-   -   Officially giving up on EVA Air (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/eva-air-infinity-mileagelands/1436659-officially-giving-up-eva-air.html)

ak333 Feb 8, 2013 3:45 pm

Officially giving up on EVA Air

EVA Air, we had a nice ride together, but the time has come for me to look elsewhere. Your lack of full mileage on most tickets was the last straw. With my Diamond membership expiring at the end of the month, I just don't see any use in trying any more. I'll be investigating CX's premium economy this weekend, and will end up with about 40K AA miles for the entire trip. BR, you would have given me 8K. Sure I still have some mileage to burn, so I'll be back for a flight or two at some point, but until then...

jimbo99 Feb 8, 2013 4:19 pm

How sad for EVA to lose a customer like you.

It has been clear for some time that they have taken their FFs for granted, constantly fiddling with Evergreen Club, usually at short notice. Setting up the 8 year rule only to abolish it as golds were beginning to qualify is typical of the contempt they have for their passengers. I bet somebody at HQ thought they were so clever - just as they think they are clever when people having saved their miles can't get to spend them.

The FAs and groundstaff (at least on my routes) are great, but there is only so much they can do to make up for the feeling of being cheated by the club. As you say, the the accumulation rates just don't make it worth it anymore.

EVA still suits me for SGN-TPE-LHR and back, and I'm probably the only person that ever buys that ticket. But with entry to *alliance and no extra perks for staying with EVA, I'll probably bank miles elsewhere. And that will likely tempt me away to other airlines too.

LAX Feb 8, 2013 9:46 pm

I thought BR offers PE service. Does that not offer full mileage as well? I am certainly not a fan of not getting full mileage on discounted Y tix & that's why I have been avoiding SQ. I am only willing to take a mileage hit when the fare differential is substantial. I hope BR offers earning when it joins *A.

LAX

ak333 Feb 8, 2013 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by LAX (Post 20213626)
I thought BR offers PE service. Does that not offer full mileage as well? I am certainly not a fan of not getting full mileage on discounted Y tix & that's why I have been avoiding SQ. I am only willing to take a mileage hit when the fare differential is substantial. I hope BR offers earning when it joins *A.

LAX

BR has a very good PE service called Elite Class. However, many of the good Elite fares only get 90% credit. If you fly in regular Y, there are quite a few fares that only earn 50% and some that are completely ineligible for mileage accumulation.

jerryhung Feb 8, 2013 10:07 pm

would your opinion change once BR joins *A officially?

I might, hoping to collect/redeem Aeroplan on BR YYZ-TPE :D

LAX Feb 8, 2013 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by ak333 (Post 20213681)
BR has a very good PE service called Elite Class. However, many of the good Elite fares only get 90% credit. If you fly in regular Y, there are quite a few fares that only earn 50% and some that are completely ineligible for mileage accumulation.

That sucks as most PE fares are more expensive than regular (nondiscounted) Y fares. Again, I have been avoiding *A partners that give less than full mileage on discounted Y fares. In fact, it wasn't until recently that I started flying on NH because it now offers 100% with UAMP even on discounted Y tix.

LAX

ak333 Feb 8, 2013 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung (Post 20213694)
would your opinion change once BR joins *A officially?

You mean 2050? :p

coolfish1103 Feb 9, 2013 2:53 am

Originally Posted by ak333 (Post 20213824)
You mean 2050? :p

:D

joban Feb 9, 2013 8:24 am

This has to be one of the worst programs. I was participating up until a few years ago when a slew of new rule changes occurred.

I will be looking at the accrual rates for Star Alliance members when they formally join later this year, and hoping that they will be more generous than they have been.

username Feb 9, 2013 6:50 pm

As I read this, I am thinking BR might be the DL of Taiwan :D Good service but terrible program.

The mileage chart for crediting to UA is actually not bad. For now, though, it is not PQM/EQM on UA. *A membership should be in June of 2013 (I know I should specify the year).

vincewy Feb 10, 2013 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by ak333 (Post 20213681)
BR has a very good PE service called Elite Class. However, many of the good Elite fares only get 90% credit.

OTOH, TK gives you 150% of miles on Comfort Class if you're Elite/+ and you'll only need 25000 miles within the first year to be renewed for 2 more years, as opposed to 80000 miles (80K would be equivalent to over 100K from Miles and Smiles).

I'm just curious how BR will handle *G members at TPE once it becomes *A officially (especially regarding lounge access), I know they'll have a lounge dedicated to *G but .......

meinhell Feb 11, 2013 5:11 pm

When I first began flying with EVA I thought it was an awesome little airline. Five years later they've managed to move themselves off my list of carriers of choice, joining AC who have also 'enhanced' their FF program.

I see no point in buying a $1500 Y fare on EVA where I'd only be eligible for 80% of the miles when I can buy the same ticket on CX and get 100% or $1000 on UA and also receive 100%.

I don't know what's going on with EVA, but it seems they're more interested in courting Hello Kitty than keeping their FF's on board.

username Feb 11, 2013 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by meinhell (Post 20228677)
When I first began flying with EVA I thought it was an awesome little airline. Five years later they've managed to move themselves off my list of carriers of choice, joining AC who have also 'enhanced' their FF program.

I see no point in buying a $1500 Y fare on EVA where I'd only be eligible for 80% of the miles when I can buy the same ticket on CX and get 100% or $1000 on UA and also receive 100%.

I don't know what's going on with EVA, but it seems they're more interested in courting Hello Kitty than keeping their FF's on board.

Have they changed the chart again (for the better)? I looked just now and Y is 100% all the way.

http://www.evaair.com/en-global/ever...lassification/

tya Feb 11, 2013 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by vincewy (Post 20221525)
I know they'll have a lounge dedicated to *G but .......

a dedicated lounge!? :eek:

jimbo99 Feb 12, 2013 12:42 am

Originally Posted by username (Post 20229038)
Have they changed the chart again (for the better)? I looked just now and Y is 100% all the way.

http://www.evaair.com/en-global/ever...lassification/

No nothing changed. Not many Economy fares book into Y. Typical is the BKK promotion they are running from LHR. http://www.evaair.com/en-global/lond...om-GBP595.html. Fares are hardly special, but Economy books into H/U - no miles for either.

I think meinhell was talking about a $1500 Y fare meaning a $1500 Economy fare rather than necessarily a fare booking into the Y bucket.