Officially giving up on EVA Air

Old Feb 17, 13, 11:33 pm

Programs: Build a RoboCop Statue in Detroit
Originally Posted by jerryhung View Post
would your opinion change once BR joins *A officially?

I might, hoping to collect/redeem Aeroplan on BR YYZ-TPE
You are in for a rude shock.
160,000 pts from YYZ with BR.

I fly J/C on that route and am lucky to get around 18,000 per RT.
You are going to have to do a lot of flying to get a RT reward ticket.
Even if you downgrade to Elite its still 120,000.

With the expiration dates on points it is near impossible to redeem LHs if making less than 4 LHs a year on BR.

Don't bother with the upgrade from elite to premium because they are difficult to obtain and the point requirement maakes it a waste.

I'd rather BR did away with the points and cut the ticket prices. Evergreen club is a horrible FF plan and offers no value. I would expect that even if you hope to cash in the miles on Aeroplan you will be sorely disappointed when faced with the $1000+ fees and charges Aircanada adds to reward tickets. I paid approx. $1200 last summer on a YYZ-ZRH-BKK routing. 150,000 miles in the craptastic TG first between ZRH and BKK and J class on AC metal for ZRH-YYZ. Big mistake.
Old Feb 18, 13, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer View Post
You are in for a rude shock.
160,000 pts from YYZ with BR.

I fly J/C on that route and am lucky to get around 18,000 per RT.
You are going to have to do a lot of flying to get a RT reward ticket.
Even if you downgrade to Elite its still 120,000.

With the expiration dates on points it is near impossible to redeem LHs if making less than 4 LHs a year on BR.

Don't bother with the upgrade from elite to premium because they are difficult to obtain and the point requirement maakes it a waste.

I'd rather BR did away with the points and cut the ticket prices. Evergreen club is a horrible FF plan and offers no value. I would expect that even if you hope to cash in the miles on Aeroplan you will be sorely disappointed when faced with the $1000+ fees and charges Aircanada adds to reward tickets. I paid approx. $1200 last summer on a YYZ-ZRH-BKK routing. 150,000 miles in the craptastic TG first between ZRH and BKK and J class on AC metal for ZRH-YYZ. Big mistake.
Do you know for sure it'll be 160K for YYZ-BR J RT?
since AC J to Asia, if found and paid $$, is "only" 125K

+1000 with you on bad BR FFP, that's why I sold all my & family BR miles online (35000, ~1 Asia RT, for about $10000 NT ~ $330 USD)

I, unfortunately, was in YYZ before BR came so I'm so used to transfer somewhere (2-stop in US was the norm for me) for 10+ years. So I totally don't understand why people paid $400+ more PER PERSON for Direct, when I can fly YYZ-NRT-TPE RT for cheaper and uses NRT lounges.

Albeit, BR timing (midnight to 6am arrival) is preferred by some, much easier when one has a baby, which can sleep "overnight"
Old Feb 19, 13, 7:58 am

Programs: Build a RoboCop Statue in Detroit
I like BR and it is my preferred carrier to Asia. It's just that its FF program is one of the worst. The fares for now out of YYZ are better than those out of YVR or even LAX so I'm not complaining once you add in the cost of domestic connection flights and that was in discounted cattle class domestic. My concern is the integration of BR into *A. A year ago, one at least had the option of seeing a connecting flight to a BR departure hub, but no more since the relaunch of the website. I wonder if the connecting flights will be back? It was always more expensive to buy a connector with a BR flight than it was to buy separate tickets. With only months to go until the alleged full participation BR has made no announcements on whether it moves terminals at YYZ, which lounges will be used and how the integration will work. BR as an airline is wonderful, but its Evergreen program is not.
Old Feb 22, 13, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: GE, AA PLT/2.6MM, BR Gld, Royal Carib. DM+, Celebrity Elite, NCL PLT, Princess Elite
I'm still in BKK, but I will say my outbound in CX's PE was very good. I'll post a review when I get back - but mileage wise, I did much better with AA's program than I would have done with BR; even the lowest PE fare on CX gets 110% AA miles.

I will miss being a big fish in a pretty small pond, but I forgot just how much I enjoy transiting HKG over TPE.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: