Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EVA enforcing 7kg carry on rule?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

EVA enforcing 7kg carry on rule?

First time this has happened to me. Checking in at SGN today and they told me sorry, your carry on is overweight. I assured them I have carried on the bag before, but they would not budge. Forced me to check it. Not very happy about that. Was hoping they might cut a Gold a little slack, but also realize these people are employed by SASCO and not EVA. Guess I'll be waiting with everyone else at LAX now. Global Entry won't do me much good today
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:14 pm

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Oh dear. Where exactly were you stopped? And what class are you in?

Like you, they have never stopped me in recent years, most of which have been as Gold. But frankly I never have much carry on anyway. The last time was more than 5 years ago. I was gold in C - I just asked the woman if the limit was the same and she said oh no that's OK then. That was at the bottom of the stairs going up to immigration when the old terminal was the international terminal.

On my SGN exits as Diamond, I have had VIP status around the check-in. Indeed last time an EVA woman spotted me on the concourse, asked if I was Mr Jimbo and ushered me to the Diamond check-in. I asked how she recognised me and she joked it was her job to. Not the first time that has happened. At the gate itself, an agent came to me and asked if I was Mr Jimbo and apologised for keeping me waiting. I didn't get this as Gold.

But no special treatment between leaving check-in and getting to the front of the gate area.

Thanks for the warning. 7kg is easy to reach if you have anything approaching the maximum size of carry on. I'm sure EVA once told me that up to 12Kg was ok.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:41 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by SaigonCyclo
First time this has happened to me. Checking in at SGN today and they told me sorry, your carry on is overweight. I assured them I have carried on the bag before, but they would not budge. Forced me to check it. Not very happy about that. Was hoping they might cut a Gold a little slack, but also realize these people are employed by SASCO and not EVA. Guess I'll be waiting with everyone else at LAX now. Global Entry won't do me much good today
I don't want to be mean, but I am in the LAX lounge right now and apparently too many VIP bring their kitchen sinks on board so now the 7 kg is being strictly enforced in both BR and CI. A group was arguing right next to me. They even have a paper with 3 languages on each check in desk.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 2:19 am
Original Poster

I was in Elite and was stopped at the Gold check-in. There were certainly people carrying on bags as big, if not bigger than mine when I got to the gate.

No kitchen sink with me. Just my standard 4 wheel carry on size bag. Flying to Saigon, I always check my bag as I'm not in a hurry when I arrive. But when I'm flying back home, I carry on so I don't have to wait for my bag on the carousel.

I'm guessing there could be more carry on luggage now due to the holidays. Oh well, bag is hopefully tucked safely away and will arrive with me at LAX.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 2:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by coolfish1103
I don't want to be mean, but I am in the LAX lounge right now and apparently too many VIP bring their kitchen sinks on board so now the 7 kg is being strictly enforced in both BR and CI. A group was arguing right next to me. They even have a paper with 3 languages on each check in desk.

Size certainly seems a more sensible way to regulate carry on rather than such a restrictive weight, 7 kilos is beyond silly. Can't bring the kitchen sink in a standard 20-22" carry on. CI did this once to me when I was in C leaving MNL and I found it to be quite irritating, haven't flown them since.

Haven't had any of the Japanese, Korean, or mainland Chinese carriers give it a second look.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 4:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Hmmm they hardly enforce this rule but if your bag does look bulky, they will ask you to put it on the scales. They'll do anything they can do to get some weight off the plane. Airlines in Asia do this all the time. Just fly PR.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 6:26 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
Well I try to be within 1kg or so if over weight. So just in case. I can stuff the heavy things like spare cash i have for all my destinations which is heavy. Apart from the essentials, a book and 1 spare set of clothes for the shower in Taipei i try to limit myself.

How was the flight cool? You prefer flying to USA or to Taiwan flight wise?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 7:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by blackmamba
Hmmm they hardly enforce this rule but if your bag does look bulky, they will ask you to put it on the scales. They'll do anything they can do to get some weight off the plane. Airlines in Asia do this all the time. Just fly PR.
Well the weight in my case is exactly the same whether it's in the overhead bin or in the cargo hold, so they are transporting the same weight regardless. On normal trips I usually only travel with carry on luggage, preferring not to spend any time at the baggage carrousel when I arrive. So all they have accomplished is taking 15 or so kilos in my 20" international carry on sized roller (that I'm quite capable of lifting into the overhead) from the interior of the plane to the cargo hold... fuel consumption of the plane was the same either way.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 7:34 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dvs7310
Well the weight in my case is exactly the same whether it's in the overhead bin or in the cargo hold, so they are transporting the same weight regardless. On normal trips I usually only travel with carry on luggage, preferring not to spend any time at the baggage carrousel when I arrive. So all they have accomplished is taking 15 or so kilos in my 20" international carry on sized roller (that I'm quite capable of lifting into the overhead) from the interior of the plane to the cargo hold... fuel consumption of the plane was the same either way.
Yes, but they want to make your life difficult. Also, there is always that chance that by making your life difficult, you might just shell out some money to cover the extra baggage fee. Most of the time, those fees get pocketed by the ground staff in Asia.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by blackmamba
Most of the time, those fees get pocketed by the ground staff in Asia.
I'd love to see something indicating this is more than your supposition.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 5:36 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
I was stopped at LAX a few years ago (while using the Elite/Deluxe) window, other than that have never had an issue. My carry on is a true backpack though, which makes it seam small (even though it can hold more than most rollars).

I no longer carry books (thank you tablets of the world), and have a very small notebook so can move heavy items over to my laptop bag to be safe.

BTW, I assume the 7kg rule is because the FAs often have to move the stuff around.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coolfish1103
I don't want to be mean, but I am in the LAX lounge right now and apparently too many VIP bring their kitchen sinks ...
Don't forget we take our rice cookers too

I heard at one point if ground staff let people get onboard with too much stuff, the FAs will report it up the chain. Then the gate agents will have to write reports. (They also had to write reports if the flight departs late.) The airline is much bigger now so I wonder if a lot of the red tapes have been simplified.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dsquared37
I'd love to see something indicating this is more than your supposition.
Me too. EVA is an extremely disciplined company. I really doubt this happens.

I had heard stories that in the paper ticket days, if you messed up (i.e. letting through people who should not be let through), then at least a portion of the mistake comes out of your own pocket.

I think CI at TPE does use a portion of the excess baggage fees collected for the employees. A lot of Taiwanese companies have budgets for employee activities, maybe they are used for that? Or, maybe to cover it when employees make ticketing mistakes
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:01 pm

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Sometimes the SGN departures are ridiculous. People shuffling into economy with way too much. PAX just think that no rule applies to them - whether it's using mobile phones, luggage allowances etc etc. Boarding can take forever. I would prefer to see the rules relaxed, but then enforced more strictly.

Originally Posted by SaigonCyclo
I was in Elite and was stopped at the Gold check-in.
In my experience, locker space is rarely an issue in Elite. At a rough calculation each pax has about 40% more space than in Economy. I really think it wasn't appropriate to challenge you and I hope you give some feedback.

I'll be on BR392 (Elite) in a few days and will ask them if there has been a change of policy.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 4:58 am
Gus

I must admit that on 5th November at LHR my suspicions were raised. I always check in very early and one check in opened just over 4 hours before flight time.
There were a few customers in front of me and both hold and cabin baggage was being given the once over.
As I have flown Elite for the past few flights I though my hold baggage may be just over the 20kg and my cabin bag maybe nearer 10 than 7, time to BS
A big smile on my face, passport and my out of date Silver card.
I mumbled something about my newer (green) card being lost, but hoped the Silver had registered.
My hold case was checked in, I didn't notice but was probably about 21.5-22Kg, I lifted my small rucksack, " I just have a little bag" CS did not want to weigh it.
A very quick check in and "Have a nice flight" Happy Days.
On my return from BKK my cabin was again nearer 10 than 7 ,but did not get weighed, my hold baggage was 20.5kg, so BR make a small allowance but I am not sure what.

At check in just give em a big smile and maybe even a Toblerone, you'll be fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.