Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EVA Air vs Egypt Air in Business?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2012, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
EVA Air vs Egypt Air in Business?

I've been looking at these two products, but the only information I can find on Egypt Air seems to be a couple of years old.

Basically, I'm aware that Egypt Air's new business seats on their 777-300s are regarded as "adequate" by most FFs who have flown them recently. Certainly a big step up from where they once were. What I don't know is if all their 777-300s are the new business cabins? I know the ones from LHR-CAI are, but what about the ones flying CAI-BKK? They show as 777-300 aircraft, but are they the same as the ones flying from LHR?

Also, how does this product on Egypt Air compare to the EVA product? EVA is coming out around £200pp dearer than Egypt - is it worth that extra?

Then there's also their Elite cabin, which I've heard is totally bearable? This would be cheaper than business in Egypt Air.

Any ideas?
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Yes, do not compare apples with oranges, go with EVA, I mean after all you are not a FF with either one.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Go with EVA. You can't go wrong with EVA Air.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 1:29 pm

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Originally Posted by blackmamba
Go with EVA. You can't go wrong with EVA Air.

You have to be a FF with them before you get shafted!
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Ok, thanks.

What's the J product like on Eva?

Out of interest, has anyone flown the new J cabins on Egypt Air? Are they really as far improved from their old ones as people seem to be saying?
Old Mar 30, 2012, 5:52 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Do you already have a status with Star Alliance (*A)? (Looking at your profile, I do not think so...) Do you plan to fly more frequently with *A?

You have these 2 options:

- choose Egyptair (all B777-300's have new product) and start accumulating *A miles (choose the program wisely - for example A3 has the lowest *A Gold qualification rules)

- choose EVA - then you still need to choose the FF program wisely - you may join EVA program OR check which *A airlines already have FF relationship with EVA (and what the conditions are - do you earn only FF miles or also status/tier miles)

BTW... Can I advertise my recent MS Trip Report http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...ankruptcy.html
Old Apr 4, 2012, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
MS is a dry airline. Only go with them on their new 77W aircraft. Other aircraft types are to be avoided at all costs !
Old Apr 7, 2012, 9:24 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
MS is a dry airline. Only go with them on their new 77W aircraft. Other aircraft types are to be avoided at all costs !
Definitely! The soft product cannot be compared. Go with EVA.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 6:49 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by uanj
Definitely! The soft product cannot be compared. Go with EVA.
Why do we assume that the OP is interested in soft product? Maybe he/she is more interested in hard product (then MS wins) or FF status (then I am not sure who wins).
Old Apr 14, 2012, 1:27 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA MM 1K, UK Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb
I would vote ^ for EVA.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 2:24 am

Here are two comparable publicity videos of the respective 77W products of BR and MS, both with similar music; the MS video goes straight into the business cabin view, while in the BR vid, business cabin views start at 0:50:

EVA Air 777-300ER

Egyptair 777-300ER

The MS J cabin is 2-3-2, while the BR J class is 2-2-2; funnily though the former vid makes the cabin seem wider when they are both the same aircraft; maybe they shot more of the front of the BR plane, or because the seats are wider...anyhow, interesting comparison.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 1:51 pm

Programs: BA Blue
I'd pay £200 to avoid connecting through CAI and tagging a good couple of hours flight time to my journey. Even if the seats were the same.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 2:34 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I had a very pleasent experience on the upper deck of a 747 in Business

Nice crisp linen, quiet cabin, low loads, decent wines.

I couldn't ask for much more. EVA got my vote.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies, guys.

We decided on Eva in the end. I wasn't sure about dragging a 3 year old around CAI airport after reading some of the reports on the place. (I also wasn't sure about sitting next to a 3 year old all that way on a dry airline... )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.