FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/eva-air-infinity-mileagelands-761/)
-   -   EVA Air: pls post your award ticket/upgrade experience here (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/eva-air-infinity-mileagelands/1299485-eva-air-pls-post-your-award-ticket-upgrade-experience-here.html)

emorge22 May 1, 2012 6:48 am

Have booked economy ticket in Eva air LHR - BKK on August 1st. Does anyone know the cost to upgrade to next cabon class at airport?

jimbo99 May 1, 2012 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by emorge22 (Post 18491343)
Have booked economy ticket in Eva air LHR - BKK on August 1st. Does anyone know the cost to upgrade to next cabon class at airport?

Probably best to start a new thread because I'm guessing you mean a paid-for upgrade rather than using miles.

But in general they will charge the difference in ticket price - ie it will be expensive. If they are OP-UPing, they might do a deal. But usually it's Elite that is hardest-to-get on LHR-BKK.

emorge22 May 2, 2012 3:51 am

Thanks Jimbo! would agree better to start a new threat but am a newbie and dont know how to do this!!!:(

I thought it would be one set price one at the airport not the diffrence in costing? As how BA do it!

Transpacificflyer May 7, 2012 9:28 pm

1) Route and date of travel: 15-Mar-2012 -24-Apr-2012
YYZ-TPE-HKG-TPE-YYZ

2) Date of request and how made (eg at an office/online) approx. Dec. 2011 request for award and then booked in Feb. 2012 via online website*

3) Class of free ticket requested or original booking class (for upgrade)
Premium Laurel

4) Evergreen Club status (if any) Gold

5) Outcome Success*

6) Any other information - what you were told, whether paid for tickets were still available when you were declined etc.

Was attempting to book TPE-BKG but no availability, despite there being plenty of seats available for sale. Ended up taking the route to HKG. I had to do this as I would have lost 100,000 points on Dec. 31, 2011. EVA has expiry dates on its points, even though one is an active PAX. (I take at least 2 roundtrip transpacific flights with BR every year)

Could not book an upgrade from EVA Deluxe as there was no availability roundtrip on any route. The value isn't worth it anyway if one compares the points for an upgrade per sector flown vs a roundtrip ticket.

As a tip to anyone considering an EVA redemprion, I suggest you consider the low load routes such as YYZ and SEA. I connected to YYZ and it was still worth it for me.

With the implementation of the new Royal Laurel service I have a feeling the redemption point requirements are going to get boosted within a year.

First redemption for me and a heck of alot smoother than the misery of my former American Airlines or the impossibility of getting a seat on Delta. Not as easy as Aeroplan though.

Cameron38 May 11, 2012 6:22 pm

1) TPE - BKK July 6, 2012
2) Requested 5/9/12. Unable online (error message), but accomplished on the phone with Los Angeles office.
3) Mileage upgrade from Elite To Business
4) Evergreen Club status - Green
5) Success. Was even given several choices of seat location
6) EVA Rep was helpful and spoke good english

aeroFormosa May 16, 2012 3:03 am

1) Route and date of travel:
April 21, 2012 BR75 Taipei-Amsterdam via Bangkok
April 28, 2012 BR76 Amsterdam-Taipei via Bangkok

2) Date of request and how made:
a.) For my partner: on December 29, 2011 at EVA website.
b.) For myself: on February 15, 2012 at EVA website.

3) Class of free ticket requested or original booking class (for upgrade):

a.) For my partner: Free Premium Laurel (D) class
b.) For myself: purchased Elite (Q) class for upgrade to Premium Laurel (N) class

4) Evergreen Club status:
GREEN for both my partner and I.

5) Outcome
a.) For my partner: D class cleared and ticketed by the time of booking. (Mileage was expiring on December 31, 2011)
b.) For myself: Q class ticketed and requested for an upgrade online but waitlisted.
i.) AMS-TPE route N class was cleared on March 15, 2012
ii) TPE-AMS route N class was cleared on April 6, 2012

6) Any other information:
I called the reservation office in Taipei right after I purchased my Q class ticket online and told them I was travelling with a companion in D class. They made a remark on my reservation and was told it will put me in a higher priority status on the waiting list. I was planning to call the reservation office everyday one month before the departuring date to ask them to "push" the seats, but got a surprising phone call from them 45 days in advance and told my return route (AMS-TPE) for D was cleared! I started calling them everyday afterwords and got my TPE-AMS route seat cleared two weeks in advance!!

I thought it would be a very empty flights since I got my seats cleared so well in advance. However, and surprisingly, ALL 24 Premium Laurel class seats on BR75 (both TPE-BKK and BKK-AMS) were seated. And 14 out of 24 PL seats on BR76 (AMS-BKK) were seated and all 24 PL seats on (BKK-TPE) were seated.

Welcome to visit my travel photo albums http://www.aeroFormosa.com

aeroFormosa May 16, 2012 4:15 am

June 18, 2011 BR67 Taipei-Bangkok
June 20, 2011 BR68 Bangkok-Taipei

on June 6, 2011 at EVA website.

purchased Elite (M) class for upgrade to Premium Laurel (N) class

4) Evergreen Club status: SILVER

5) Outcome:

Taipei-Bangkok route for N was cleared on June 17 (one day in advance)
Bangkok-Taipei route for N was cleared on June 19 (one day in advance)

I planned for a quick getaway to Bangkok after my family member transferred some 30,000 EVA miles which was to be expired by the end of the month. Since I didn't want to waste any mileage and in the sametime, travelling in business class, I purchased an Elite (M) class ticket for upgrade. Even though PL(J) class ticket was only a few thousands NT dollars (US$120) more than Elite (M).
I called the reservation office in Taipei almost everyday for pushing the seats and got no luck until the very last day before departure to have my outbound cleared. And for my inbound, it was cleared after I had a gout attack in Bangkok and my partner called the reservation and begged for help. The nice lady on the phone was then transfered the call to her supervisor who cleared the seat for me just minutes before they got off for work.

I thought that the flights would be very full, but there were 10 empty PL seats for Taipei-Bangkok bound and at least 5 empty PL seats in the front section for Bangkok-Taipei bound.

My travel photo albums: http://www.aeroFormosa.com

aeroFormosa May 16, 2012 5:20 am

April 22, 2011 BR10 Taipei-Vancouver
April 30, 2011 BR09 Vancouver-Taipei

a) For my partner: early November 2010 on EVA website.
b) For myself: early November 2010 on EVA website.
Tickets were then issued on December 27, 2010 at Taipei Ticketing Office to avoid the mileage hike for PL class and to use the American Express EVA AIR Platinum Charge Card Companion 50% off Certificate.

a) For my partner: Premium Laurel (D) class free ticket.
b) For myself: Premium Laurel (D) class free ticket.

a) my partner: GREEN
b) myself: SLIVER

5) Outcome:
a) For my partner: PL(D) class seats were cleared by the time of booking.
b) For myself: PL(D) class seats were waitlisted and were cleared less than a week before travel.

I was quite frustrated when my seats were not able to be cleared a week before travel as I couldn't and shouldn't pre-paid for my hotel rooms before I had a confirmed ticket.

There were 6 empty PL seats out of 36 on the Taipei-Vancouver bound and 10 empty PL seats out of 36 on the Vancouver-Taipei bound.

Total mileages used: 202,500 for 2 PL class seats :)

aeroFormosa May 16, 2012 6:01 am

February 11, 2011 BR2198 Taipei-Tokyo
February 14, 2011 BR2197 Tokyo-Taipei

a) For my partner: On November 14, 2010 at EVA website.
b) For myself: On November 14, 2010 at EVA website.

a) For my partner: Premium Laurel (D) class free ticket.
b) For myself: Premium Laurel (D) class free ticket.

a) my partner: GREEN
b) myself: SLIVER

5) Outcome:
a) For my partner: PL(D) class seats were cleared by the time of booking.
b) For myself: PL(D) class seats were waitlisted and were cleared 7 days before travel.

It was about half full in PL class on the outbound Taipei-Tokyo flight and only 5 passengers in PL class on the inbound Tokyo-Taipei flight!

There were at least 5 Chief Pursers on duty on the inbound flight on February 14, as many young inflight attendants were on leave to celebrate Valentine's Day with their loved ones :)

ak333 May 22, 2012 2:01 pm

I'm flying out this weekend, so I just put the request in for PL and will report back with status.

ak333 May 22, 2012 7:58 pm

SEA-TPE 26May
22May via agent/consolidator
L Elite Class to Premium Laurel
DIAMOND
5) Outcome:
Requested 1045AM PST 22May, confirmed 640PM PST 22May
At the time of the request, I was put on a priority waitlist. I waited until the business day started in TPE and called the Diamond line. She immediately cleared the long haul (and got me in my favorite seat on the 744), and sent another message about my connecting flight. I'll post that result when it's known.

ak333 May 26, 2012 12:22 am

TPE-BKK 27May
22May via agent/consolidator
DIAMOND
5) Outcome:
Requested 1045AM PST 22May, confirmed 406PM PST 25May
At the time of the request, I was put on a priority waitlist. I called on both 23May and on 24May with no luck. When I called on the 24th, the BR agent was quite good and checked the loads for me and said that the flight was really overbooked, but he would send another request for me. I thought at that point that I would have to try at the airport.

At lunchtime on the 25th, I called my consolidator to ask if she heard anything, but she wasn't available, so I left her a message. She called me back after 4PM with the good news. And I got my preferred PL seat for that leg too! :D

ak333 Jun 7, 2012 1:45 am

BKK-TPE 09Jun
TPE-SEA 09Jun
06Jun via agent/consolidator
DIAMOND
5) Outcome:
Requested 1220AM ICT 06Jun, confirmed 215PM ICT 07Jun
At the time of the request (as seemingly usual), I was put on a priority waitlist. I called EVA's BKK office in the afternoon of 06Jun and was told I was still on the waitlist. My consolidator tried overnight (my time) and I had an e-mail from her when I woke up saying that she hadn't had any luck yet. In the morning I called the Diamond line in TPE and the agent couldn't confirm either leg at that point, but he would "work on it." I called the BKK office back at 215PM and got the confirmation for both flights.

I knew that the BKK-TPE leg would get confirmed, I saw plenty of seats open on the seat map, but I also saw that Elite was oversold TPE-SEA, the seat map wouldn't even display on EF. So I think that the Diamond desk did the smart thing and "allowed" me to use my coupon instead of giving me an op-up. I'm happier since I get to choose my meal; the regular options TPE-SEA for supper weren't my favorites.

davistev Jun 7, 2012 2:49 am

United Airlines redemption limited to one flight each way.

SEA-ORD-YYZ DEC26
YYZ-ORD-SEA DEC31
06Jun via BNE agent
Business Class on United
Regular
5) Outcome:
Request denied because routing exceeded 2 segments
It would seem that EVA Air only allows direct 1 segment redemption each way on United Airlines. Very disappointing indeed.

asiadxer Jul 16, 2012 1:43 am

Royal Laurel Upgrade

LAX-TPE BR1 September
07Jun via Jakarta ticketing office
3) Class of original booking class (for upgrade):
Q Elite Class to N Royal Laurel via mileage deduct
DIAMOND
5) Outcome:
Requested 07June, confirmed 16July