Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands
Reload this Page >

EVA Air: pls post your award ticket/upgrade experience here

EVA Air: pls post your award ticket/upgrade experience here

Old Jan 29, 16, 10:02 pm

Has anyone ever upgraded from Elite to Business from TPE-LAX? I am wondering if they have a paid upgrade service?

I know some airlines have bidding processes or allow a discovery rate when checking in to buy an upgrade to business for a certain fee.

Thx.
Old Jan 29, 16, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by Martin Lee View Post
Has anyone ever upgraded from Elite to Business from TPE-LAX? I am wondering if they have a paid upgrade service?

I know some airlines have bidding processes or allow a discovery rate when checking in to buy an upgrade to business for a certain fee.

Thx.
You will need to use EVA's miles, or use a *A upgrade award from Y or B fare classes ahead of time. There are no known at-airport upgrades, paid or otherwise. In the event of an oversale, their own Elite customers will be op-up'd.
Old Jan 30, 16, 3:27 am

Programs: FB Silver Elite, EK Silver, CX Silver, A3*G
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
In the event of an oversale, their own Elite customers will be op-up'd.
not always true, I was booked in PE and last summer I was upgraded on both YYZ-TPE-YYZ flights as A3*G
Old Jan 30, 16, 2:07 pm

I am booked on Elite class but would like to upgrade to business (paid option) if I can do it just for the one leg. Doesn't seem like I will get the option to have this though as I have no air miles with Eva unfortunately.
Old Jan 30, 16, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by STelite View Post
not always true, I was booked in PE and last summer I was upgraded on both YYZ-TPE-YYZ flights as A3*G
They will always upgrade their own members first...perhaps they were really oversold and had already moved their own members from PE to J and still had an oversale in the back and needed to shift people from Y to PE and PE to J....but if the OP is looking for any assurances this will happen on their flight, it won't.
Old Jan 30, 16, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
You will need to use EVA's miles, or use a *A upgrade award from Y or B fare classes ahead of time. There are no known at-airport upgrades, paid or otherwise. In the event of an oversale, their own Elite customers will be op-up'd.
its still possible to upgrade at the airport. My mom in Nov 2015 asked to upgrade(T-->Z?) at LAX using 35k EVA miles. They gave it to her instantly...
Old Feb 17, 16, 3:56 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I think the answer is no, but any way to use aeroplan miles to do a star alliance upgrade on a Q fare?
Old Feb 17, 16, 4:56 am

Programs: A3 Gold
Out of curiosity, has anyone or know of anyone with *G status that has gotten a double upgrade from economy to Premium Laurel in the event economy and Elite classes are full? Or would they bump a paying Elite up and upgrade the *G to Elite?

Thanks!
Old Feb 18, 16, 4:50 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by AznMadSci View Post
Out of curiosity, has anyone or know of anyone with *G status that has gotten a double upgrade from economy to Premium Laurel in the event economy and Elite classes are full? Or would they bump a paying Elite up and upgrade the *G to Elite?

Thanks!
I am a EVA Diamond member for 4 years running now, and it has only happened to me once. And it was the very short leg between TPE and BKK (I was traveling onward to LHR and got a one class upgrade from Economy to Elite for that leg). So as a *A Gold, I doubt this could ever happen.
Old Feb 18, 16, 5:26 pm

In order to use EVA miles to upgrade from Elite to RL, do I have to book in K/L? Or does T work?
Old Feb 18, 16, 8:25 pm

Programs: EVA Diamond, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by erics2356 View Post
In order to use EVA miles to upgrade from Elite to RL, do I have to book in K/L? Or does T work?
T fare class upgrade to RL is possible, however you may need to call the EVA city office to do it. The online upgrade may put you on the waiting list, but recent experience (IML Green Card, TPE-LAX T->Z class) has shown that you needed to call EVA to process the upgrade if you have not cleared within a week of departure and D-class still available for sale.
Old Feb 18, 16, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA-P, and Chase-ing the sapphire dragon
...on a related note, has anyone using a SAUA encountered any issues with married segments lately? Also last year as UA*G got an op up from Econ to E+ from TPE to BKK, but also paid for a B fare (shriek, I know stuck in econ since they were having married segment issues)
Old Feb 19, 16, 3:43 am

Programs: A3 Gold
Originally Posted by hlee628 View Post
I am a EVA Diamond member for 4 years running now, and it has only happened to me once. And it was the very short leg between TPE and BKK (I was traveling onward to LHR and got a one class upgrade from Economy to Elite for that leg). So as a *A Gold, I doubt this could ever happen.
Thanks for your reply.

I figured I would ask because we lucked out getting economy to Premium Laurel upgrades on TPE-MNL and MNL-TPE. Now about to board TPE-IAH and just curious since the flight is getting full with only a handful of open seats. Before check-in, seat selection had been closed, similar to what had happened to the MNL flights.
Old Feb 19, 16, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by asiadxer View Post
T fare class upgrade to RL is possible, however you may need to call the EVA city office to do it. The online upgrade may put you on the waiting list, but recent experience (IML Green Card, TPE-LAX T->Z class) has shown that you needed to call EVA to process the upgrade if you have not cleared within a week of departure and D-class still available for sale.
Would I have better luck if I was Silver or Gold? It looks like the best option is to just call in.

Also, would they be able to process if I was upgrading someone else's ticket?
Old Feb 20, 16, 3:57 pm

Programs: EVA Diamond, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by erics2356 View Post
Would I have better luck if I was Silver or Gold? It looks like the best option is to just call in.

Also, would they be able to process if I was upgrading someone else's ticket?
Presumably status would give better luck. As Diamond, my upgrade waiting list normally clear around 2 weeks before departure.

In the above mentioned upgrade (T->Z) I transfered my mileage to her account and let her did the upgrade. You would not be able to upgrade somebody else's ticket directly using your own mileage.

Search this Thread