July BR trip report PDX-BKK RT

Old Jul 21, 11, 6:22 am

Thanks for your trip report ak333. I always enjoy reading them.

As far as the seat blocking goes I've had two occasions where I suspected the seat next to me was blocked(as gold) but didn't bother asking. Once when flying the return trip Tapei/Lax in economy I was in 45k(reserved in advance) and the middle seat was empty. That was my only economy flight in the 6.5 years I've flown EVA after my initial flight with them(upgraded the return trip on that flight for $150 at the airport after seeing the Deluxe seats).

The other time was in Elite on LAX/Taipei and I had 20k with 20H empty. There were only a couple of empty seats in the section(middle seats in the defg section). Purser asked me after take-off if I would mind if an elderly gentleman sat next to me and he did so after I told her it was fine with me.

My second year of flying with EVA a SCSR(senior customer service rep) told me the trick for getting the exit row seat in Deluxe. It only failed one time and that was corrected at check-in. She told me to never pick a seat selection but to call ticketing and ask that a note be put in the file showing my preference for row 20.

I've finally jumped ship and will be flying PAL starting next month. They status matched me to Premier Elite thru 2013.(I requested a match in Feb 2011 and was granted it in June 2011). A bit nervous about the upcoming first flight still(in economy) but hopefully the transition will work out.

The combination of constant downgrading of mileage accrual, increasing mileage needed to upgrade, and massive price increases the past couple of years already had me thinking of switching. The expansion of the Elite sections was the final straw as Op-ups will be highly unlikely compared to before.

Gold status on EVA isn't worth much currently. Booking Elite tickets will get check-in and baggage perks so status isn't needed. The difference in pricing(at least on LAX/SFO fares to Taipei) of R/H Elite tickets vs L Elite tickets is substantial with the minimal mileage accrued. Sad.
Old Jul 21, 11, 9:26 am

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Originally Posted by randyrlp View Post
My second year of flying with EVA a SCSR(senior customer service rep) told me the trick for getting the exit row seat in Deluxe. It only failed one time and that was corrected at check-in. She told me to never pick a seat selection but to call ticketing and ask that a note be put in the file showing my preference for row 20.
Yep, my experience exactly. The general rule seems to be they will book exits in advance (for golds/diamonds), but not bulkheads (for babies). But the "note on the system" has worked 100% for me. Having said that, they have booked Elite row 20 for me in the SGN office. TPE said that SGN is "very naughty".

The combination of constant downgrading of mileage accrual, increasing mileage needed to upgrade, and massive price increases the past couple of years already had me thinking of switching. The expansion of the Elite sections was the final straw as Op-ups will be highly unlikely compared to before.

Gold status on EVA isn't worth much currently. Booking Elite tickets will get check-in and baggage perks so status isn't needed. The difference in pricing(at least on LAX/SFO fares to Taipei) of R/H Elite tickets vs L Elite tickets is substantial with the minimal mileage accrued. Sad.
Yep. They just pushed it too far. The retrospective change to expiry dates of mileage left a nasty taste and demonstrated they can't be trusted. I won't be struggling to keep status, though it might happen anyway.
Old Jul 21, 11, 12:38 pm

Programs: EVA Infinity Delta Skymiles

You guys think if they finally align themselves with Star Alliance that BR may actually benefit from it? And what I mean is that customers would have the ability to push your points to another more generous FFP.

TG

Search this Thread
Search Engine: