BR to JFK eff 31Oct

Old Jul 17, 11, 11:37 am
  #16  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: CAN, LAX, TPE
Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Posts: 2,767
Originally Posted by username View Post
This makes sense. Especially those SE Asia/AU connections...
It actually connects to AU quite well.

I don't think it matters to BR much as the connecting traffic via EWR (or even JFK) is probably minimal due to the flight time.
coolfish1103 is offline  
Old Jul 17, 11, 11:42 am
  #17  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Northern Va
Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Posts: 667
Originally Posted by coolfish1103 View Post
It actually connects to AU quite well.

I don't think it matters to BR much as the connecting traffic via EWR (or even JFK) is probably minimal due to the flight time.
While the connections were generally limited (returning traffic would have to overnight at EWR, often at BR's expense), moving to JFK basically kills all connections so I guess they will rely solely on O/D traffic.

I wonder if BR will still be running the free bus down to Philadelphia like they do now at EWR.
Pingtung is offline  
Old Jul 17, 11, 12:32 pm
  #18  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 10,240
Originally Posted by coolfish1103 View Post
It actually connects to AU quite well.

I don't think it matters to BR much as the connecting traffic via EWR (or even JFK) is probably minimal due to the flight time.
So, that's it. That is a lot of traffic to capture - last I heard (and that was years ago) was that 1/3 of the BR TPAC traffic is not out of TPE. I am sure that has increased. Assuming the same with CI, then they can capture a lot. I am guessing CI is picking up enough premium traffic KIX-JFK to make up for the loss.

Still, there is a huge Asian community in Northern NJ and PA. I suppose BR will be running shuttle buses from NJ like CI does.

It would cost too much to route others (like PHL) via YYZ, right?
username is online now  
Old Jul 17, 11, 3:34 pm
  #19  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: CAN, LAX, TPE
Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Posts: 2,767
Originally Posted by username View Post
So, that's it. That is a lot of traffic to capture - last I heard (and that was years ago) was that 1/3 of the BR TPAC traffic is not out of TPE. I am sure that has increased. Assuming the same with CI, then they can capture a lot. I am guessing CI is picking up enough premium traffic KIX-JFK to make up for the loss.

Still, there is a huge Asian community in Northern NJ and PA. I suppose BR will be running shuttle buses from NJ like CI does.

It would cost too much to route others (like PHL) via YYZ, right?
I don't know.

A counter measure for CI could be to start something like 3x TPE-ANC/KIX-EWR v.v. But I don't think they will do it because it's not going to be high yield and they are on different markets now.
coolfish1103 is offline  
Old Aug 6, 11, 12:29 pm
  #20  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 87
EVA Air changed its mind again and will leave Newark(EWR) and return to New York(JFK)

When EVA Air started flying from Taipei to the New York City area, it flew into JFK. A few years later, they moved to Newark(EWR) airport.

Apparently they have changed their minds again and decided to move the passenger operations back to JFK. (effective November)

This doesn't seem like the right decision for an airline that is planning to join Star Alliance in the near future. Newark is a big hub for United(formerly Continental).
roundrulers is offline  
Old Aug 6, 11, 9:36 pm
  #21  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 33,362
Originally Posted by roundrulers View Post
When EVA Air started flying from Taipei to the New York City area, it flew into JFK. A few years later, they moved to Newark(EWR) airport.

Apparently they have changed their minds again and decided to move the passenger operations back to JFK. (effective November)

This doesn't seem like the right decision for an airline that is planning to join Star Alliance in the near future. Newark is a big hub for United(formerly Continental).
I could swear that there was a fairly long thread on this topic ~2 months back, but I just searched and came up empty.
moondog is offline  
Old Aug 6, 11, 10:12 pm
  #22  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 10,240
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
I could swear that there was a fairly long thread on this topic ~2 months back, but I just searched and came up empty.
It is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...eff-31oct.html
username is online now  
Old Aug 6, 11, 10:15 pm
  #23  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 10,240
Originally Posted by roundrulers View Post
When EVA Air started flying from Taipei to the New York City area, it flew into JFK. A few years later, they moved to Newark(EWR) airport.

Apparently they have changed their minds again and decided to move the passenger operations back to JFK. (effective November)

This doesn't seem like the right decision for an airline that is planning to join Star Alliance in the near future. Newark is a big hub for United(formerly Continental).
I think NYC service started 6/6/1993 at EWR. Back then, it was a redeye from SEA with lots of time to kill between SEA and EWR for immigration and customs to open in EWR (where you clear). Then it was a morning departure out of EWR getting back to TPE early evening. That did not last long - they switched to evening arrival/departure not too long after that. Still, you don't clear immigration/customs until EWR. The clearning out west thing started sometime BEFORE 9/11.

JFK was added later and then dropped - I think it was operated with the MD-11. I don't think they have ever suspended EWR until now.

See the other thread. One member mentioned this might have something to do with EVA wanting to pickup the void left by CI switching their JFK schedule. It is very plausible. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...n-tpe-jfk.html is another thread that is related.

Last edited by username; Aug 7, 11 at 3:28 am
username is online now  
Old Aug 9, 11, 6:53 pm
  #24  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: LAX
Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Posts: 2,193
Doesn't EVA's all-cargo flight operate in and out of JFK?

We may be reading too much into the move vis a vie SQ or *A implications. The most obvious reason may be the new management in Taipei has decided to consolidate the separate JFK and EWR operations as cost cutting measure. It's got to be difficult to coordinate all-cargo flights and belly cargo in 77W from different airports.
bzcat is offline  
Old Aug 9, 11, 7:58 pm
  #25  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 10,240
Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
Doesn't EVA's all-cargo flight operate in and out of JFK?

We may be reading too much into the move vis a vie SQ or *A implications. The most obvious reason may be the new management in Taipei has decided to consolidate the separate JFK and EWR operations as cost cutting measure. It's got to be difficult to coordinate all-cargo flights and belly cargo in 77W from different airports.
Yes, I think the all-cargo is out of JFK and what you are saying also makes sense.

The company is pretty inflexible in one way but very agile in another. So, if it does not work, I am sure they will switch it back.
username is online now  
Old Aug 13, 11, 11:12 am
  #26  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,968
Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
Doesn't EVA's all-cargo flight operate in and out of JFK?

We may be reading too much into the move vis a vie SQ or *A implications. The most obvious reason may be the new management in Taipei has decided to consolidate the separate JFK and EWR operations as cost cutting measure. It's got to be difficult to coordinate all-cargo flights and belly cargo in 77W from different airports.
Moving to JFK would be a big mistake for BR. EWR is able to capture the lucrative Chinese/Taiwanese population of New Jersey and Eastern Pennsylvania. These people are usually white collars that are high ranks in corporations and will pay a good premium for convenience of not having to travel to JFK (going into NYC by driving is a bear to any of us living in that area) and a relatively decent airline like BR and their Y+ seats. If BR moves to JFK, I can really foresee a good number of them switch to flying CX or even CI (should CI get their acts together) as now there's no reason to fly only BR and pax can compare the different airlines ex-JFK.
Cathay Boy is offline  
Old Aug 13, 11, 7:10 pm
  #27  
LAX
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA; Philadelphia, PA
Programs: OZ Diamond
Posts: 5,539
Originally Posted by username View Post
Yes, I think the all-cargo is out of JFK and what you are saying also makes sense.

The company is pretty inflexible in one way but very agile in another. So, if it does not work, I am sure they will switch it back.
It's probably easier said than done. Besides, once you lose a customer, it's pretty costly (and probably difficult) to earn back. If people figure out a way to tolerate JFK (I personally actually don't mind it), unless there is a good reason (ie: deep discount, better service, etc.), it would be pretty difficult to switch back to EWR, IMHO.

LAX
LAX is online now  
Old Nov 20, 11, 2:58 am
  #28  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 10,240
Originally Posted by LAX View Post
It's probably easier said than done. Besides, once you lose a customer, it's pretty costly (and probably difficult) to earn back. If people figure out a way to tolerate JFK (I personally actually don't mind it), unless there is a good reason (ie: deep discount, better service, etc.), it would be pretty difficult to switch back to EWR, IMHO.

LAX
The rumor on the CX board is that CX will start HKG-EWR service with the slots traded with BR. So, I guess it is bye bye EWR.

Funny that CI changed JFK service to via KIX, then BR moved to JFK and now CX is starting EWR.
username is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: