EVA Air Seat assignments

Old Jun 9, 11, 2:36 am
Original Poster

EVA Air Seat assignments

Hi all,

Many apologies if I have put this in the wrong forum but only joined today and got a little confused!

Anyway, I hope someone can offer me some advice.

We are booked to fly from LHR - BKK on the 1st July with EVA in Elite Class. Unfortunately we have been allocated the 2 middle seats of the 4 (someone on each side of us) on the way out, which I am not too happy with. I have called the London office numerous times and all I get told is 'try at check it as there is nothing we can do'.

I just wondered if anyone else had any advice, I noticed a few people mentioning calling the Taiwan office and getting help there but I am not sure they will converse in English or not?

Any help would be appreciated. I know it sounds a bit silly but we just feel a bit disappointed already with EVA.

Thanks very much,

Kevin
Old Jun 9, 11, 3:06 am

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Sure, it's the right place to ask!

The comment about calling Taiwan probably came from me when I found London's response to some of my queries was that they'd contact HQ and let me know. Really from that point on I've generally called the TW office or got Ms Jimbo to do it (she speaks Chinese and gets through to a customer services), even if I'm in the UK.

The problem is that they block certain seats for babies and frequent flyers. They might also hold a few back to give them flexibility at check-in. Of course nobody wants middle seats, but it is not so bad in Elite - the extra leg room means it's easier to get past your neighbour.

If you have an EVA FF card, you should mention this - they don't always notice. You can also mention that you don't mind two aisle seats (eg C+D or G/H)- you might prefer that to the middle seats. In fact, you might even prefer to go for two aisle seats apart if necessary. It could give you more bargaining power at check-in!

They do speak English on the Taiwan number - sometimes it's difficult whilst some operators are very good and enthusiastic. You press a button for "english service". The number is +886 2 25011999. The only problem comes if you try escalating to someone more senior - but I would feel it unfair to do that because it's not something you can really demand. They've never queried why I'm calling them rather than London. I even called an EVA office in Australia once when I was working through the night.

If they can't allocate the seats, then ask them to note a request. Are you OK for the return journey?

Else all I can say is try again every few days and if you don't get anywhere check-in early and hope to get the normally blocked seats. Row 20 is the baby row, but is often free. 20AC and 20HK are probably the best pairs on the flight.
Old Jun 9, 11, 3:55 am
Original Poster

Hi Jimbo,

Thanks so much for replying, I really appreciate it.

I will give the number in Taiwan a go then, I do keep trying London but she blatantly can't be bothered to help.

Return journey is a little better, still in the 4 but one of them on the aisle, so not so bad.

I joined the frequent flyer program but only flew with them once before about 4 years ago, so pretty sure I'll now be cateregorised as an 'unfrequent flyer'!

Failing all this I'll check in early and hope for the best, like you say Elite is a bit roomier so at least should be comfortable regardless of location.

Thanks again!

Kevin
Old Jun 9, 11, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by Yorkiepud76 View Post
I do keep trying London but she blatantly can't be bothered to help.
I don't want to get too personal as I know it's a small office and my last real contact was at least a couple of years ago and personnel might have changed. Also as I say, in this case you can't really demand anything of right so probably there is nothing they can do.

But I too got fed up with the attitude. There are different ways to say "no" ! I Just felt I was dealing with robotic like call centre staff who want to get you off the phone and don't care about leaving you with a good feeling. Went in a couple of times, got stonewalled over a perfectly legitimate request. Got the impression there were a couple of staff that had just been there too long and were hardened. Not rude, just unfriendly.

Perhaps they are jaded - endless British people moaning on demanding stuff they are not entitled to. But I decided I can do without it. I'm not one of those self-important blokes that will waltz in flashing my card demanding stuff I'm not entitled to. However I have spent a lot of money with EVA over about 14 years - so why can't I have the same friendly welcome that I get in the Saigon office, the Taipei office, at check-in, BKK lounge, onboard, or even at the Starbucks over the road in Euston.

LHR staff are great - and I would have thought the pressures there must be greater. Also the few Taiwanese staff I met at Euston were also fine.
Old Jun 9, 11, 10:00 am

Programs: GE, AA PLT/2.6MM, BR Gld, Royal Carib. DM+, Celebrity Elite, NCL PLT, Princess Elite
I would actually go the check-in route if you have no status. EVA holds out almost half of the Elite seats for Diamonds/Golds, infants, and just because they can.

Last week I really noticed how many couples were in the middle of the middle it looked like every row except for the bulkhead.

Also if you can, try to check in on line exactly 24 hours out, some seats will pop in at that point as well.
Old Jun 9, 11, 11:47 am

Programs: BR Gold
Originally Posted by jimbo99 View Post
Perhaps they are jaded - endless British people moaning on demanding stuff they are not entitled to.
Wow, I can't say it better than this!

First of all, "SORRY!!"-- to those whom I might have offended. But the truth is, from the BR staffs that I know personally, they all claim that they encounter people like this from North America routes daily, mainly from LAX, to be more precise!

In comparison to jimbo99 and ak333, I have to say that I fly somewhat less than these 2 experts, but I do have some fair share of BR stories myself.

As ak333 recommended, I think the OP should do what he says, so the worst case scenario is to wait until you get to LHR counter to find 2 better seats.

Personally, I also find that when dealing with situation like such, I always get better result when I call BR HQ in TPE, regardless of where I am located at the time.

Best wish and cheers!
Old Jun 9, 11, 8:15 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I have found the EVA phone agents to be very nice and helpful overall. There have been a couple of times that I have called and changed flight dates and not been charges the $100, even though the rules call for the $100 change fee.

I always book those flights more than 100 days out and then I calendar the date when seat selection opens up (100 days before flight) and then book the seat online as soon as it opens.

It's unfortunate that there is no way to tell online whether there are aisle seats available in Elite class before you book. Buying the Elite ticket and then finding out that you'll be in the middle is not fun.

Another thing you could try is to NOT select seats online yet, and instead log into the website every day and wait and see if aisle seats open up, then grab them. Sometimes they open up. But once you select your seat online I think you're blocked from changing it.

Of course, if you wait, you risk that you might end up with middle seats in different rows.
Old Jun 9, 11, 8:56 pm

Programs: GE, AA PLT/2.6MM, BR Gld, Royal Carib. DM+, Celebrity Elite, NCL PLT, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by jphripjah View Post
It's unfortunate that there is no way to tell online whether there are aisle seats available in Elite class before you book. Buying the Elite ticket and then finding out that you'll be in the middle is not fun.
Actually Expert Flyer does show EVA seats, but if a seat is blocked, it just shows as taken, not shown as blocked.

To the OP - your flight is very full on 01 July, but I just checked the seat map and I see that 28HK is available. Granted it is the last row in Elite, but it is on the two seat side.
Old Jun 10, 11, 1:45 am
Original Poster

I tried calling the Taiwan office and they were very nice and friendly. Unfortuntately they had no other seats showing but she put a note against our booking requesting the bulk head seats, so fingers crossed we get those at check in!

Thanks for everyone's comments.

Kevin
Old Jun 10, 11, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by Yorkiepud76 View Post
I tried calling the Taiwan office and they were very nice and friendly. Unfortuntately they had no other seats showing but she put a note against our booking requesting the bulk head seats, so fingers crossed we get those at check in!
Good luck - I know they do look at the notes shortly before the flight but not sure they do much before then.

So I would still phone back from time-to-time. I'm usually on flexible tickets and sometimes I will have book and re-book 3 or 4 times before I actually fly. You may find that a cancellation releases some seats.
Old Jun 30, 11, 1:58 am
Original Poster

I have called the Taiwan office 3 times now but no luck. They have assured me they have put a note next to our names to move us to better seats. So fingers crossed that works tomorrow!
Old Jun 30, 11, 4:12 am

Good luck, do feed back what happened!
Old Jun 30, 11, 9:51 pm
evq

Programs: EVA Air Diamond, Fairmont Premier
if EVA management is reading, please give us the option to view seat maps before booking tix. when choosing between 3 TPE->LAX departures online, i like to pick the flight # that offers the most strategic seating.
Old Jun 30, 11, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by evq View Post
if EVA management is reading, please give us the option to view seat maps before booking tix. when choosing between 3 TPE->LAX departures online, i like to pick the flight # that offers the most strategic seating.
A subscription to Expert Flyer has worked wonders for me in that regard over the years.
Old Jul 1, 11, 2:27 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by evq View Post
If I were EVA I wouldn't offer that option because all seats have to be filled.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: