Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EVA to join Star Alliance

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2011, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tai4de2
One of EVA's key strengths for me is their schedule from SEA. I hope they don't decide to "grow up" by shifting to midday departures from SEA (as Asiana did many years ago).
I doubt it - they need the flight to connect to flights out of TPE for the rest of Asia in the morning.
Old May 29, 2011, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by username
I am curious if there is any news on this. It is strange that no formal announcement has been made. It would be hard to join by the end of the year if there is still no formal announcement yet, right?
I looked around EVA's site and didn't see a formal announcement, other than the 2010 Annual Report says they are committed to joining a major airline alliance; the news reports saying that the application was made, base it on a quote by EVA President Chang Kuo-wei.
Old May 29, 2011, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
There's too many things that need to be iron-ed out between BR and Star that you shouldn't expect any formal announcement of intent to join till mid to late 2012 (or even 2013), and the join date would follow through at least 1+ years afterwards.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coolfish1103
There's too many things that need to be iron-ed out between BR and Star that you shouldn't expect any formal announcement of intent to join till mid to late 2012 (or even 2013), and the join date would follow through at least 1+ years afterwards.
Wow, that is a long long time. Having had my share of irregular operations doing UA, I really look forward to the day when a *A carrier servies US-Taiwan non-stop.

Just 2 weeks ago, UA cancelled TPE-NRT 2 days in a row due to MX - same plane, took 2 days to fix. Worse yet, they did not even transfer the bags (first day the plane returned to gate and passengers moved to other carriers). I guess they will be safe with this kind of behavior for now.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 8:58 am

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Originally Posted by username
I guess they will be safe with this kind of behavior for now.
Ha ha ha.. EVA are ad-hoc cancelling London flights at the moment...
Old Jun 3, 2011, 7:28 pm

Programs: GE, AA PLT/2.6MM, BR Gld, Royal Carib. DM+, Celebrity Elite, NCL PLT, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by tai4de2
One of EVA's key strengths for me is their schedule from SEA. I hope they don't decide to "grow up" by shifting to midday departures from SEA (as Asiana did many years ago).
Actually, I would like EVA to "grow up" in SEA and go to daily service!
Old Jun 3, 2011, 7:44 pm

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Originally Posted by ak333
Yes... like London. Was 3 scheduled flights a week, then they grew up to 4, then 5, then 7....

Now they have teenage tantrums... perhaps 4 flights in a week, perhaps 6.. Nice and arrogant..you make the booking.. and if we're in a bad mood and don't feel like flying that day we'll move you!

(Dave.. where are you? Any inside info??)
Old Jun 4, 2011, 9:55 am
evq

Programs: EVA Air Diamond, Fairmont Premier
Originally Posted by jimbo99
Yes... like London. Was 3 scheduled flights a week, then they grew up to 4, then 5, then 7....

Now they have teenage tantrums... perhaps 4 flights in a week, perhaps 6.. Nice and arrogant..you make the booking.. and if we're in a bad mood and don't feel like flying that day we'll move you!

EVA is now doing codeshares to korea with asiana air. looks like they're 1 step closer to joining staralliance
Old Jun 4, 2011, 2:19 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold, Lufthansa Silver, BA Amex, Starwood Platinum
Think this is retrograde for Star Alliance, find EVA's business class very poor.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 2:44 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by evq
EVA is now doing codeshares to korea with asiana air. looks like they're 1 step closer to joining staralliance
Not necessarily. BR has been codesharing with CO even before it became part of *A & merged with UA, so codesharing does not equate to progress toward joining an alliance. In fact, there are many carriers that currently codeshare with *A carriers, but have no intention of joining *A (at least publicly).

LAX
Old Jun 4, 2011, 7:34 pm

Programs: GE, AA PLT/2.6MM, BR Gld, Royal Carib. DM+, Celebrity Elite, NCL PLT, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by jmcp1575
Think this is retrograde for Star Alliance, find EVA's business class very poor.
There are many carriers in the Star Alliance with a less than stellar C class; I would put BR somewhere in the middle.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 8:26 pm

There are many carriers in the Star Alliance with a less than stellar C class; I would put BR somewhere in the middle.
I was just about to say the same thing!

Eva Air's business class seat is just as uncomfortable as Lufthansa's business class seat.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 11:54 am

Programs: Peasant at large
Pretty sure it's load based. Have been flying them on th SEA-->some-south-asian-destination routes for over a decade now and have seen frequency go up and down, usually trending with the economy.

Originally Posted by Sarkir
I was just about to say the same thing!

Eva Air's business class seat is just as uncomfortable as Lufthansa's business class seat.
True but I've found BR's crew to be a lot nicer in all classes. Don't care much if it's genuine or not, just great to have a crew that tries hard to be pleasant to pax when I'm on long hauls. Also, BR crew usually offer a bunch of pillows to prop your legs up to make the sliding seats more tolerable - works great if you've got a bulkhead seat.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 3:33 pm

Programs: BA Blue
Originally Posted by jimbo99

It's not ad-hoc, we've known about the LHR canx flts for ages. Normal service should resume in July. I've posted in more detail in the other thread about BR canx flights.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA Blue
Originally Posted by Sarkir
Don't even get me started

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.