BR - is it E.V.A. Air or EVA Air? ;)

Old Sep 11, 10, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: GE, AA PLT/2.6MM, BR Gld, Royal Carib. DM+, Celebrity Elite, NCL PLT, Princess Elite
BR - is it E.V.A. Air or EVA Air? ;)

As most of you know, I've been flying with BR since the mid-90's. At that time, it was always referred to by its initials, E.V.A. Air., and that's what I called it. Lately, even from BR staff, I hear the airline being called EVA Air.

So, is it E.V.A. or EVA?
Old Sep 11, 10, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by ak333 View Post
As most of you know, I've been flying with BR since the mid-90's. At that time, it was always referred to by its initials, E.V.A. Air., and that's what I called it. Lately, even from BR staff, I hear the airline being called EVA Air.

So, is it E.V.A. or EVA?
I recall reading that E.V.A. wants everyone to pronounce it as E.V.A. but it doesnt flow smoothly off the tongue so people in general has been calling it EVA. And i believe their callsign is EVA and not E.V.A. so Air TrafficControl calls it EVA far as I know? Someone know for sure what EVA callsign is?

E.V.A doesnt make sense anyway because its supposed to stand for Evergreen Airways, but then why the Airways again? Because they are E.V.A Airways. Which means two Airways in the name.

So all in all its better to go with EVA.

They couldnt use Evergreen Airways as the small American cargo outfit with the name of Evergreen Airlines owns that right.
http://www.evergreenaviation.com/eia/index.html

I guess they could have called it Evagleen Airways??

just kidding. EVA Airways is fine as it is, but not E.V.A. Airways tho in my opinion.
Old Sep 11, 10, 6:31 am

Supposedly they paid some British PR or Advertising firm to design their whole Corporate Identity when they first started. It was a big deal that it is supposed to be pronounced as E-V-A.

In the beginning, some expat pilots used "Eva" but the "well trained" ones and the local employees always used E-V-A. Not sure what they do now.
Old Sep 12, 10, 7:16 am

Programs: CI: Emer; CX: Sliver; DL: PM; PC: RA;
[QUOTE=tommy525;14638231]
They couldnt use Evergreen Airways as the small American cargo outfit with the name of Evergreen Airlines owns that right.
http://www.evergreenaviation.com/eia/index.html

QUOTE]

yap, this is the reason they cannot name evergreen air
Old Sep 14, 10, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
BR did a TV commercial in the US (maybe just in Los Angeles?) a few years ago and they pronouced the name as Eva Airways not E-V-A. I know that from speaking with my Taiwanese American friends, they all call it Eva not E-V-A.

In Taiwan, I imagine this is not an issue as they would call it by the Mandarin name and not Eva.
Old Sep 14, 10, 1:53 pm

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
I've only heard it as E-V-A in official circles including when the British staff of the London office all me. But I say EVA and I've only heard that among foreign users as well as non-EVA Taiwanese English speakers.

And after 10 years or so flying them, I've finally got around to learning how to say it in Mandarin (as well as "terminal 2").

I'm learning a new one:

S-T-O-P--F-I-D-D-L-I-N-G--W-I-T-H--T-H-E--F-F--P-R-O-G-R-A-M-M-E-!

If I spelt it out do you think they'd get the message?
Old Sep 14, 10, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Would it now lure you to fly with Vietnam Airlines or China Airlines from SGN to LHR with their new diminishing FF programs that's even worse than CI?
Old Sep 15, 10, 1:57 am
Gus

I'm not sure if Jimbo posted before he got his e-mail from Evergreen Club or after.
I just opened mine and it is not good news, looks like FF miles will expire after 4 years and not 5, also I usually buy a U class ticket (70%), that is going to 0%.

The program has been downgraded many times since I joined and whilst I will still probably fly BR, I am using nearly all of my FF miles for a reward flight as I will lose my Silver staus from 31st December, not that it meant a lot.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: