EVA Premium Laurel Best Meals

Old Dec 28, 2009, 9:27 am
Original Poster

EVA Premium Laurel Best Meals

My last experience of EVA air food was in economy and it was the worst airline food ever.

I will be in PL on the LHR-BKK route next month and am hoping for suggestions as to best meal options. I usually prefer Asian food but nothing too weird. However anything found to be above average would be of interest.

Your recommendations would be much appreciated.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 4:00 pm
Gus

TFG
I am not sure when you last flew with EVA, in November I flew LHR-BKK and I was less than impressed with the food, the return flight food was very good, they were both in economy.

Eva now have AA as handling agents at LHR, I am not sure if that makes any difference to the food served on BR flights.

The food in PL will be infinitely better than in the Zoo, if you check out the Eva air web site and order your meals online you should be able to choose a larger selection of meals than you would have been able to get on the aircraft.

If you are on BR068 on the 16th Jan send a plate of prawns down to Elite
Old Dec 30, 2009, 1:28 pm

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Food in PL on BR68 LHR to BKK a couple of weeks ago was certainly very good, but I must say the overall cabin service was a little "lazy" compared with BKK to TPE and TPE to SGN which I have flown since.

I particularly liked the scones, rodda's cornish clotted cream and strawberry jam! Also Yeo Valley yoghurt for breakfast... Think I had a chicken dish.

I did not order in advance cos I was OP-UPed (showing off!), but when I last flew this route on a non-OP-UP basis, lobster was available via the web. However there were not as many additional choices as BKK to LHR.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 2:48 am
Original Poster

Microwave

Thanks for the replies. Any more recommendation appreciated.

I notice it says the 777 has a microwave oven listed as a passenger facility. Has anyone ever asked for their own food to be heated up? I am thinking of a Marks and Spencer ready meal as back up if the meal served is a disappointment. Sad really to think that a Ł2.99 ready meal might be better than a business class offering.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 6:00 am

IMO, if departs from Taiwan, any food/snacks you can find in 7-11 (literally at every street corner in Taiwan) is better than EVA's air meals, regardless it's economy or PL.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 10:17 am

I've used all 3 classes, and regarding the quality of the food IMO there was'nt that much of a difference between the 3 classes but with PL you can pre-book your meal so maybe this will suit you.

Cheers
Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:25 pm

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Originally Posted by hcshih
IMO, if departs from Taiwan
The OP's flight won't do in either direction. Food is loaded in London for LHR departure and BKK for the return flight.

Originally Posted by elitevergreen
I've used all 3 classes, and regarding the quality of the food IMO there was'nt that much of a difference between the 3 classes
Really have to disagree with the thrust of these comments. My experience has been that there is a substantial difference between PL meals and Economy meals on EVA. As for Elite/deluxe, there is some disagreement as to whether the main course is different from Economy (I think it is better) but in any case you get an extra dish or two. The only really "bad" food I've had on EVA is in Economy on the hop to HKG.

Yep - a good M&S ready meal might compete with a PL main, just. But care would have to be taken that any liquid content doesn't cause a problem at LHR. As for 7-11 - I lived on Taiwan 7-11 ready meals for many months and even the worst PL meal I've had is head and shoulders above that. I'd rank them as roughly equivalent to an economy main.

I've met a few TG refugees on EVA's LHR-BKK and they've said either the food compare well or it's about the same. However certainly EVA's economy is not up to SQ economy standards. I'd rank SQ Economy alongside EVA Elite. I've flown LHR-BKK in all 3 classes that EVA operate, PL/Elite multiple times this year and Economy last year.

Anyway all a matter of opinion and hopefully Thaiflyerguy will let us know how he gets on. In case you missed it, I put up a PL trip report albeit on TPE-SGN. It includes the menu I was offered. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post13071187.

Last edited by jimbo99; Dec 31, 2009 at 12:38 pm
Old Dec 31, 2009, 9:10 pm

IMO, if departs from Taiwan, any food/snacks you can find in 7-11 (literally at every street corner in Taiwan) is better than EVA's air meals, regardless it's economy or PL.
Agreed. not for PL though. I would take those 7-11 foods over Y or ED meals at any time. The best of 7-11 would be the NT$20 triangle sushi
Old Jan 1, 2010, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Well here are the options for LHR-BKK:

1. Pesto Crust on Seared Salmon Supreme with Cream Dill and Lemon Sauce

2. Seared Corn Fed Chicken with Wild Mushroom Sauce

3. Stewed Beef with Udon Soup Noodles

4. Marinated Chicken Breast with Balsamic and Pesto Dressing

Number 4 is the special order only option.

I am torn between the Salmon and the Beef. Has anyone experienced either of these dishes and if so how good were they?

Thanks again.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by Jon X-Pacific
Agreed. not for PL though. I would take those 7-11 foods over Y or ED meals at any time. The best of 7-11 would be the NT$20 triangle sushi
Yep they are also my favourite!

For those who think PL meal is better than 7-11, have a look of
http://picasaweb.google.com/kelvin.h...BR31625Jun2009 and
http://picasaweb.google.com/kelvin.h...BR08703Jul2009

Sure it's personal preference, but they don't taste any better than the 7-11 sushi for me. The grilled eel with rice is simply a pack of microwave-ready eel you can easily buy in any supermarkets in taiwan, heated, and put on some weirdly cooked rice, and it tasted worse than any supermarket eel I've ever had.

The steak in the 2nd meal was however very nice.

The chicken in the soup on another flight was overly cooked so every bite there's some chicken meat stuck in my teeth . The vege dish next to it tasted better. Perhaps it's my fault to chose their light meal. The full meal did look much better. And the breakfast was the worst of all. Apart from the congee only the pork floss and the pickled egg & cucumber were edible.

I was pretty glad they were both op-ups so I didn't have to pay a premium for that.

BR's meal used to be way better than this.

You might not agree with me, but I still prefer my $20 7-11 triangle sushi.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 9:22 am

The grilled eel with rice is simply a pack of microwave-ready eel you can easily buy in any supermarkets in taiwan, heated, and put on some weirdly cooked rice, and it tasted worse than any supermarket eel I've ever had.
Wow! Are they serious? They serve THAT? That's what I had on JL Y class! My PL meals have been quite nice actually, I've never seen anything like that eel in PL. The congee meal is too boring. I can get that congee in TW for $10 and free refills.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 4:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Thaiflyerguy
Well here are the options for LHR-BKK:

1. Pesto Crust on Seared Salmon Supreme with Cream Dill and Lemon Sauce

2. Seared Corn Fed Chicken with Wild Mushroom Sauce

3. Stewed Beef with Udon Soup Noodles

4. Marinated Chicken Breast with Balsamic and Pesto Dressing

Number 4 is the special order only option.

I am torn between the Salmon and the Beef. Has anyone experienced either of these dishes and if so how good were they?

Thanks again.
you always call at Greggs before you fly as it seems you wont be happy without someone on here telling you what to eat, if you are so particular about your foods then forget eating in the air
Old Jan 4, 2010, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by frequentflyerupfront
you always call at Greggs before you fly as it seems you wont be happy without someone on here telling you what to eat, if you are so particular about your foods then forget eating in the air
frequentflyerupfront,

At first I thought you were rather unkind to dismiss my post in a such a patronising and curt fashion but then I thought, hold on a minute this guy's username alone commands respect. Someone who frequently flies up front is probably some sort of VIP, so his opinions ought to be respected. So I took the time to check through some of your previous posts and realise that I was wrong to judge you. You are clearly one helluva nice guy who gives up his valuable time to make friendly worthwhile contributions on these forums.

There was me thinking I would ask for a meal recommendation from someone who has actually tried these meals when in fact I now realise that I am a bit simple minded and what I really need is a person of authority to tell me what to eat.

So Greggs it is. Two sausage rolls and a greasy pie.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 9:25 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, UA, AA, DL, BA, CX
I still remember several years back they served me DinTaiFung's famous dumplings and chicken soup even for a short haul to Japan. That's one restaurant that I never find time to wait in line for, and I really enjoyed that meal. Yes, I am easily satisfied.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I really, really like EVA airlines, for a lot of reasons. They try real hard, have excellent scheduling from SEA, generally provide excellent value for my $$$, are top-notch in terms of SAFETY, and seem committed to SEA. In fact, EVA is my favorite airline for many years running.

All that said, and I mean this lovingly, I Don't Fly Them For The Food. Occasionally I've been almost impressed with a particular entree, but more often than not, it's more like being happy at not being disgusted. (As an aside, fortunately they changed scheduling to SEA and the return flight from TPE lands in the evening -- thus sparing us from the nauseating pile they call "western breakfast," which is now just a distant memory for me instead of a fresh wound.)

Want great airline food on an Asian airline? In my experience, try the Korean airlines (Asiana and KAL both).

[Sorry, I know this was not really a helpful response.]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.