Wiki Posts
Search

traveling between Madrid and Paris

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2009, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

traveling between Madrid and Paris

Hi everyone!

I'm fairly new to the forum and I've never been to the Europe but I impulsively booked two tickets to Madrid from SD yesterday while they were $300 RT. I've just started planning the trip, reading forums, and ordering guidebooks and realized that I'd rather spend the bulk of my time in Paris. My flight is also leaving from Madrid so it would have to be a roundtrip arrangement.
What are my transportation options? I'm a new grad and will probably be unemployed for a long time with our economy so any low-cost options would extra helpful.

I get to Madrid on a Sunday and would like to spend the first day there (Museo del Prado, maybe a bullfight, maybe a Real Madrid game if I ever figure out how to buy tickets and get their schedule) before traveling to Paris. The Elipsos seemed like a good option (€88) but is there a place I could put all my stuff while I'm doing all the activities? Flights for Easyjet are ~$90 but I really didn't want to deal with security and was looking forward to taking public transportation in Europe.

Thanks for any help and advice!! I hope it's not in the wrong forum; I'm not sure if rail is even an option but it didn't look like it.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 1:14 am

HI,
rail is an option, however I can't give you any advice there since I have never been in Spain. If you are on a tight budget you should also check eurolines www.eurolines.com, which offers busticket all over europe.
Cheers
757DUD
Old Jun 12, 2009, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by puggle
Hi everyone!

I'm fairly new to the forum and I've never been to the Europe but I impulsively booked two tickets to Madrid from SD yesterday while they were $300 RT. I've just started planning the trip, reading forums, and ordering guidebooks and realized that I'd rather spend the bulk of my time in Paris. My flight is also leaving from Madrid so it would have to be a roundtrip arrangement.
What are my transportation options? I'm a new grad and will probably be unemployed for a long time with our economy so any low-cost options would extra helpful.

I get to Madrid on a Sunday and would like to spend the first day there (Museo del Prado, maybe a bullfight, maybe a Real Madrid game if I ever figure out how to buy tickets and get their schedule) before traveling to Paris. The Elipsos seemed like a good option (€88) but is there a place I could put all my stuff while I'm doing all the activities? Flights for Easyjet are ~$90 but I really didn't want to deal with security and was looking forward to taking public transportation in Europe.

Thanks for any help and advice!! I hope it's not in the wrong forum; I'm not sure if rail is even an option but it didn't look like it.
Here's where you'll find timetable information for European rail travel:
http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/que...rotocol=http:&
when calculating rail fares vs air remember rail is city centre-city centre so there's an immediate saving. Yes, you're right about avoiding security and although it's a long journey to Paris you'll see some great scenery if you take the daytime service

Last edited by farci; Jun 12, 2009 at 1:30 am Reason: Spelling - duh!
Old Jun 12, 2009, 1:54 am

Programs: UA, AA
The overnight trains are a good option, especially if you spring for first class seats. The cost differential is relatively small but the difference in comfort is huge. Since cost is a factor, consider the money you will not be spending on hotels the nights you are traveling.

I haven't traveled the Spain-France overnight route but have done France-Germany and France-Italy. Basically, 2nd class sleeper compartments have 6 bunks (3 to a side) whereas 1st class compartments are larger, sleep 3 (all on one side, with a small bathroom on the other side) or 4 (2 to a side), and include bedding and breakfast.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 11:06 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
I would recommend taking the talgo-eqipped first class Trenhotel (see http://www.spanish-rail.co.uk/service/info/trenhotel) and (http://www.trenhotel.com/htm/default.htm?lang=3) from Paris-Madrid.

I have taken this train a number of times from Milano-Barcelona and it truly is the best thing out there for overnight travel in Europe. There are many classes offered, but the nicest are the Grand Class private rooms. Dinner and Breakfast in the dining car is included in the ticket cost, and the rooms feature a shower, and 2 folding beds. The attendant will make the beds down in the evening and up for you in the morning, whenever you request him to do so.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 2:21 pm

www.seat61.com has information on the trains between Madrid & Paris.

You could also consider flying with Easyjet or Vueling (DON'T fly Ryanair as their Paris airport is halfway to New York)
Old Jun 13, 2009, 2:11 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
The train ride is rather long (10-12 hours) between Madrid and Paris. So you lose at least a day for travel, round trip. If you can find affordable fares on a LCC, cheap week-end fares or 3 day minimum stay fares on AF, I would recommend flying (<2 hours).
Old Jun 13, 2009, 2:26 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
One other creative way to go from Madrid to Paris is to see if you can take the high speed train called AVE (Alta Velocidad Espanola) from Madrid to Barcelona. Then fly on Vueling from Barcelona to Paris. If you do this, you arrive by AVE in Barcelona at Sants station, then transfer at the same station to an airport express bus or airport commuter train to the airport. This post is written on Saturday. You are leaving the next day to Madrid. So I would check on-line with the Spanish National Railways called RENFE to see if that is possible and also check online with Vueling. Of course, if you can sort out your itinerary when you arrive in Madrid, you might want to go see a RENFE travel agent at Atocha Station to do this. If the itinerary is feasible, you would need a RT ticket on AVE from MAD to BCN and then a RT ticket on Vueling from BCN to CDG, since you mentioned your flight back to the States is in/out from MAD. Don't know if this will work, but at least check it out!
Old Jun 13, 2009, 6:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
Welcome to FT, puggles!!!
Old Jun 13, 2009, 8:27 pm

Hi

Back in the early '90s I did the Paris-Madrid overnight train trip. As another poster said, it is a long trip. It was not so bad for me. Before I left after 5pm and slept in my own sleeping car (avec couche). Before I left stateside, I purchased a Eurail ticket. Depending on how long you will stay in Europe, it might be worth it if you wish to visit other countries outside of France. You will travel first class at all times.

If you have some time to spare in Spain, you might want to stop off in Barcelona and stroll on Las Ramblas. A nice place for tourists and you get to experience the excitement of a northern Spanish city (albeit they speak Catalan). Then you can continue on to gay Paree.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 1:41 pm

Hi, I'm new to this forum and just unearthed this discussion about travel between Madrid and Paris. I am very curious as to how Puggle found an airfare between San Diego and Madrid for $300. I am tempted to book my $650 from Seattle to Madrid via AA and United for travel March 28 - May 13. Any advice? Should I grab this or do fares really get down to $300?? My college daughter will be studying in Paris all spring and I thought this would be a nice way to visit and travel a bit with her. I need to book by tomorrow if I grab the $650 fare. Also, I can go via Lufthansa for about $30 more - is it worth the difference for the better rated airline? Thanks!
Old Sep 9, 2009, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by susanbc
Hi, I'm new to this forum and just unearthed this discussion about travel between Madrid and Paris. I am very curious as to how Puggle found an airfare between San Diego and Madrid for $300. I am tempted to book my $650 from Seattle to Madrid via AA and United for travel March 28 - May 13. Any advice? Should I grab this or do fares really get down to $300?? My college daughter will be studying in Paris all spring and I thought this would be a nice way to visit and travel a bit with her. I need to book by tomorrow if I grab the $650 fare. Also, I can go via Lufthansa for about $30 more - is it worth the difference for the better rated airline? Thanks!
In June there were some really good deals to many european cities on Delta. For example, I bought a 230 dollar JFK-Madrid ticket during Delta's sale. It only lasted a day or so and was not advertised. Keep your eyes pealed on the Mileage Run forum, where these kinds of things are usually listed. That being said, great deals like these are not predictable. If you really need to travel to a specific place at a specific time you need to buy a ticket when the price is comfortable to you. You can't wait around for an airline to have a crazy blow out sale...
Old Sep 17, 2009, 9:42 am
Suspended

Smile very nice discussion

I read this many replys very nice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.