Search

Tight connection at Gare de Lyon

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2009, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: aa co
Tight connection at Gare de Lyon

I will be visiting France for the first time. I have two questions:

We arrive at CDG (AA) at 0730 4 May. I'd like to get a 1028 TGV at Gare de Lyon for Dijon.
The last possible RER would be 0925 (connecting to RER A) which would arrive GdeL 1015. Is it feasible for me to get from the RER onboard the TGV in 13 minutes?

As an alternative, the AF bus leaves on the half hour so if I just miss the RER, I can take it. toandfromtheairport.com says it takes 45-55 minutes to Gare de Lyon, but it would need to deal with rush hour traffic and 55 minutes would be too late. Comments?

Somewhat related: I have a US credit card. That means I cannot use the yellow kiosks to obtain my tickets. Is there an alternative to the queue, either for the RER or TGV, preferably both?

Thanks

Last edited by DennyO; Mar 10, 2009 at 7:06 am
Old Mar 11, 2009, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
At that hour traffic is hell. Unless May 4th is a holiday?

Your biggest problem will be buying tickets as there are always long lines at CDG and the machines don't take US credit cards, at least not reliably. Since there are trains almost every hour to Dijon, I would wait til I got to the Gare de Lyon and then queue up to the counter and buy a ticket for the next train. I go to Dijon very often and I always buy on the spot.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 9:55 am

Programs: none
" I have a US credit card. "

My advise here is to purchase anywhere from Euro 50.00 to 100.00 here in the States, and that at smaller denominations, just for emergencies like this.

Last edited by chrissxb; Mar 29, 2009 at 4:26 am Reason: commercial link removed
Old Mar 28, 2009, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: aa co
Originally Posted by kanopemainer
" I have a US credit card. "

My advise here is to purchase anywhere from Euro 50.00 to 100.00 here in the States, and that at smaller denominations, just for emergencies like this.
Maybe I am missing something here, but I don't see how I can pick up TGV tickets from the machines with cash. How would they know it's me, the guy who made the reservation? I still have to go to a ticket booth queue, either with my US credit card or euros. Not exactly an emergency, I was just wondering if there were a way to cut the time. I am thinking the queues at Gare de Lyon will be shorter so I will probably wait to pick up my rail tickets there.

Also I understand there are ATMs all over that don't charge as much as that website, although I could be wrong.

Last edited by chrissxb; Mar 29, 2009 at 4:27 am Reason: removed link in quoted text
Old Mar 28, 2009, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, an ATM is the best way to get cash most anywhere in the world.

The queues can be quite long at Gare de Lyon, especially at peak hours. There are several ticket windows on the main floor and downstairs if you are in a rush. Unfortunately you can stand in line for 30 minutes or more most of the time.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by stimpy
Yes, an ATM is the best way to get cash most anywhere in the world.

The queues can be quite long at Gare de Lyon, especially at peak hours. There are several ticket windows on the main floor and downstairs if you are in a rush. Unfortunately you can stand in line for 30 minutes or more most of the time.
Wow, I must have been lucky!

I was at Gare de Lyon on a Tuesday morning in December--IIRC, I arrived at about 9am and was there until my train's 11:30am departure, and there was never more than one or two people in line at the main bank of ticket windows (in the east hall)...
Old Mar 29, 2009, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now that I think about it, I've only gone to the ticket windows in the afternoon. I pretty much always use the machines. Perhaps the mornings are OK as not too many people commute to the south! It's usually in the afternoons, Friday being the worst, when you see the huge queues.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 1:27 am

This post is a bit old, but I wonder if our OP ever sorted things out with his TGV tickets. DennyO, did you know that there's a TGV station right in Terminal 2 (where the AA gates are) at CDG? I'm certain they have trains to Dijon from that station. When searching for tickets on the SNCF website, try searching under "Roissy" to get the right departure point.

Give yourself 2-3 hours between your arrival time and your train boarding time. This should give you plenty of time to gather your bags, get some coffee or food, and wait in life to claim your tickets. Couldn't be easier, and no reason to go through all of the stress of Parisian public transport or traffic.

Hope this advice hasn't come too late. Safe travels
Old Apr 13, 2009, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Rischfliegtab
This post is a bit old, but I wonder if our OP ever sorted things out with his TGV tickets. DennyO, did you know that there's a TGV station right in Terminal 2 (where the AA gates are) at CDG? I'm certain they have trains to Dijon from that station. When searching for tickets on the SNCF website, try searching under "Roissy" to get the right departure point.

Give yourself 2-3 hours between your arrival time and your train boarding time. This should give you plenty of time to gather your bags, get some coffee or food, and wait in life to claim your tickets. Couldn't be easier, and no reason to go through all of the stress of Parisian public transport or traffic.

Hope this advice hasn't come too late. Safe travels
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Rischfleigtab!

I had suggested that to the OP (perhaps in a PM discussion or another thread), but I believe he looked into that and found that there were only a very limited number of CDG-Dijon trains, and to do that route would require spending something like half the day at the airport waiting for the departure.

Perhaps Dijon simply isn't a super-popular destination from CDG (surprising, given how many people you'd think would be going there for wine tours, etc.)...
Old Apr 13, 2009, 2:10 am

Ah, thanks for setting that straight. I guess a lot of the Sud-Est trains go straight to Lyon or otherwise don't stop until Valence or Avignon.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yep, only one train per day going, then one coming. I take the Dijon morning train to CDG sometimes. It leaves around 6:30am. Then one comes back leaving CDG after 7pm. Not the most convenient hours.

So if I want to go mid-day, I have to go to Gare de Lyon in Paris, then switch to the RER to get to CDG. Where I live it's easier to just go to the airport in Lyon and fly out of there in most cases.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 4:08 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
speaking of CDG, if I have a new (unvalidated) France RailPass and want to ride the RER into the city, do I need to go to the window at CDG to get this validated in order to ride the RER 'B' train without an additional paid ticket?

I'm thinking I can take the 'B' from CDG as far as Chatelet-les-Halles using my France Rail Pass and then use a leftover 'T' metro ticket to Gare de Lyon where I start my SNCF travel.

merci
Old Apr 13, 2009, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by benzguy80
speaking of CDG, if I have a new (unvalidated) France RailPass and want to ride the RER into the city, do I need to go to the window at CDG to get this validated in order to ride the RER 'B' train without an additional paid ticket?

I'm thinking I can take the 'B' from CDG as far as Chatelet-les-Halles using my France Rail Pass and then use a leftover 'T' metro ticket to Gare de Lyon where I start my SNCF travel.

merci
You need a special tiny metro ticket to pass through the electronic turnstiles. So if you are entitled to this with your Railpass, I suppose you would get it at the ticket window.

Once you are in the system, you can go anywhere in central Paris. You don't have to stop at Chatelet, but you do have to switch trains either at Gare de Nord or Chatelet to get to Gare de Lyon. But inside the system, you won't have to buy a new ticket. Just reuse the same one if you come to another turnstile.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 4:23 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by stimpy
You need a special tiny metro ticket to pass through the electronic turnstiles. So if you are entitled to this with your Railpass, I suppose you would get it at the ticket window.

Once you are in the system, you can go anywhere in central Paris. You don't have to stop at Chatelet, but you do have to switch trains either at Gare de Nord or Chatelet to get to Gare de Lyon. But inside the system, you won't have to buy a new ticket. Just reuse the same one if you come to another turnstile.
thanks again. apologies to all for getting this question across two threads.

I'm hoping someone with experience with the France RailPass and this bonus of RER 'B' use will post. at that hour (8:45) on a Saturday morning I'm tempted to just take the AF coach but the cheapskate in me wants to see if I can get by with the RailPass and a leftover 'T' ticket.

I don't remember clearing turnstiles when changing between RER 'B' (Rive Gauche) and 'D' but it seems there were some upon exit. Don't know about 'B' to RER 'A', figure the same, but that may be wrong.

At some point this is probably more about RER and Metro than SNCF, so if the mods prefer we can move this to the France forum.

merci beacoup,
benzguy80
Old Apr 13, 2009, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Considering the normally very long lines at the RER ticket window to deal with your railpass on a Saturday morning, I would definitely take the bus. It is soooooo much easier with luggage. It is absolutely worth the money. You are dropped off right in front of the Gare de Lyon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.