Wiki Posts
Search

"Kurswagen" ( Direct Coaches )

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2009, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: none
"Kurswagen" ( Direct Coaches )

Years ago DB published a list of 'Kurswagen', these are/were coaches usually connected to various different trains during their run but not necessarily originating or terminating at a scheduled/designated line.
For example one could book/reserve a seat in a Kurswagen 'Freiburg/Leipzig' on a train running actually Basel/Amsterdam. The Kurswagen would first travel on this train to say Karlsruhe, then being hooked onto one to Stuttgard-Nuernberg and on another one from there to Leipzig. This is just hypothesis.
Although, the question here is, does a 'Kurswagen List' exit, plus would there be one list for all Europe rail travel
This is a big order, and thanks.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 11:03 am

Well, it looks like Kurswagen have gone out of fashion, at least in Germany...:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurswagen

(Shout if you need help with translation!)

The article says that they still exist in Eastern Europe. Perhaps if someone can up with a word for Kurswagen in one of the Eastern European languages then that might help you find a list using a search engine.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: none
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
Well, it looks like Kurswagen have gone out of fashion, at least in Germany...:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurswagen

(Shout if you need help with translation!)

The article says that they still exist in Eastern Europe. Perhaps if someone can up with a word for Kurswagen in one of the Eastern European languages then that might help you find a list using a search engine.
No shouting necessary, born and raised in Heiniland
Old Mar 5, 2009, 11:59 am

The number of trains which divide and conjoin are few and far between these days. It is a very labour intensive process to attach and detach coaches to/from trains and you have the added problem of what to do when a train "providing" a through coach to another train arrives late - does the second train wait, and also get delayed, or, if it doesn't wait, how does the through coach get to its destination?

Examples of ones that still exist can mainly be found in Eastern Europe - e.g. overnight trains to Russia.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 12:01 pm

The number of trains which divide and conjoin are few and far between these days. It is a very labour intensive process to attach and detach coaches to/from trains and you have the added problem of what to do when a train "providing" a through coach to another train arrives late - does the second train wait, and also get delayed, or, if it doesn't wait, how does the through coach get to its destination?

Examples of ones that still exist can mainly be found in Eastern Europe - e.g. overnight trains to Russia.

Additionally, most long-distance trains are now self-contained units - ICE, Thalys, Eurostar etc - and you just can't add a coach at will.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 4:55 pm

You will still find these on overnight trains that branch off to various destinations, such as from Munich to Zagreb/Bucharest etc.

In the case of the Tren hotel between Barcelona and Milano and Barcelona and Zurich, those "2" trains operated combined as far as Lyon Part Dieu, where they were split. In that case, it involved multiple cars, rather than just one.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 4:47 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Originally Posted by railways

Additionally, most long-distance trains are now self-contained units - ICE, Thalys, Eurostar etc - and you just can't add a coach at will.
Not really true - a significant proportion of ICE trains splits in two at some point. Usually, two contained sets of ICEs are connected together and then split. For example, Berlin to Düsseldorf and Berlin to Cologne operate as one train until reaching the Ruhrgebiet, and then separate (I think in Hamm or Hagen?).
Old Mar 10, 2009, 8:43 am

What the last two posters describe is a concept that is, apparently, known as Flügelzug ("winged train") rather than Kurswagen - according to the Wikipedia article mentioned earlier. A Flügelzug is a train that splits in half. A Kurswagen is a coach that gets hooked onto different trains in the course of its journey. Back in the good old D-Zug days you would often get trains with coaches to half a dozen different destinations, enabling passengers to travel half-way across Europe without ever leaving their seat.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 8:59 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Ah, yes. I remember, on inter-railing trips, the combined perils of making sure the carriage you were making for was actually going where you wanted to, despite where the 'train' was headed, and making sure you get the best carriage to travel in! A train from Budapest to Prague, for example, could have Hungarian, Czech, Austrian, German and Romanian carriages. On those, you really wanted an Austrian compartment carriage, as you could pull the seats together. End up on a Romanian carriage, and you were sleeping on the floor, with squealing brakes that would wake you up every half hour.

Splitting/combining trains is quite common on routes that have congested mainlines. Commuter trains to/from London do this quite a lot - some Southern Coastway services will even split their 12-car trains into 3 portions en route...
Old Mar 10, 2009, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by stut
A train from Budapest to Prague, for example, could have Hungarian, Czech, Austrian, German and Romanian carriages. On those, you really wanted an Austrian compartment carriage, as you could pull the seats together.
...unless you were an anorak who would choose the Romanian carriage for no other reason than the fact that s/he had never travelled in a Romanian carriage before!
Old Mar 11, 2009, 3:09 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Much as CFR have improved these days, back in the 90s, that wasn't an experience you'd seek out twice!
Old Mar 13, 2009, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by stut
Much as CFR have improved these days, back in the 90s, that wasn't an experience you'd seek out twice!
1990s?

This was in 1975, on my first-ever Interrail trip (would parents let their 17-year-olds go on Interrail trips now, I wonder?). Overnight journey from Paris to somewhere in Southern Germany. The train was called the Orient Express - it wasn't quite the original Orient Express (though it did have some Kurswagen to Istanbul), but neither, of course, was it the modern-day namesake. Of all the carriages I could have chosen I went for the Romanian one. Seats were four across in enclosed compartments, and they felt a bit like benches in an old church. Still, it was a bit of an adventure.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 6:11 pm

1990s?

This was in 1975, on my first-ever Interrail trip (would parents let their 17-year-olds go on Interrail trips now, I wonder?). Overnight journey from Paris to somewhere in Southern Germany. The train was called the Orient Express - it wasn't quite the original Orient Express (though it did have some Kurswagen to Istanbul), but neither, of course, was it the modern-day namesake. Of all the carriages I could have chosen I went for the Romanian one. Seats were four across in enclosed compartments, and they felt a bit like benches in an old church. Still, it was a bit of an adventure.
In 1975 the [I]Orient Express[I] ran from Paris to Bucharest with Kurswagen Paris-Salzburg, Stuttgart-Vienna, Stuttgart-Budapest and diners Stuttgart-Vienna and Hegyeshalom-Budapest. Which train do you mean by "modern-day namesake"; since 2007 the Orient Express has run only between Strasbourg and Vienna (but still with the name Orient Express), since the Strasbourg-Paris portion is now served by the TGV.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 1:23 am

Modern-day namesake

There is something called the "Venice-Simplon Orient Express" which is a luxury excursion train in the style of the original Orient Express. I think anyone here in the UK who hears the word "Orient Express" will think first of "Murder on...." and then of the modern luxury train - which, although few people will actually have been on it, is quite a household name.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 6:18 pm

There is something called the "Venice-Simplon Orient Express" which is a luxury excursion train in the style of the original Orient Express. I think anyone here in the UK who hears the word "Orient Express" will think first of "Murder on...." and then of the modern luxury train - which, although few people will actually have been on it, is quite a household name.
Yes, you're right about the excursion trains (there was also the Nostalgie Orient Express for a while), but they're not useful transportation. As you imply, they're for just riding around in luxury. The operators of these trains advertise them as the "Orient Express" and have even tried to get the French, German and Austrian railways to drop the name of the real Orient Express, which has run since 1883 between Paris and various destinations in eastern Europe (before world War I also to Istanbul and today only between Strasbourg and Vienna). These operators even tried to make the public believe that the Orient Express stopped running in 1977, when that was really the Direct Orient, a tired, shabby secondary train to the (formerly luxurious) Simplon Orient Express (via Milan) and which took over the Paris-Athens/Istanbul cars from the SOE. In 1975 the DO was still running with sleepers to Athens and Istanbul, and I even rode it once, but it was long past its "expiration date." The way to the Balkans in 1975 was from Munich, but even those trains no longer conveyed sleepers to Istanbul, only to Athens. Today one has to travel via Budapest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.