Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > European Rail Travel
Reload this Page >

Advice for train between Budapest and Krakow?

Old Mar 3, 2008, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold

I might take the train from Budapest to Krakow in mid-June, rendezvous with my wife for a couple of days, and then we'd both take the train back to Budapest.

A few questions for anyone who's done this trip recently:

1. How comfortable is the train?
2. Any recommendations on whether to take the day train or overnight train?
3. How is the overnight train set up? Are there 2,4 or 6 people to a cabin? Or is it set up differently from that? A FTer informed me that when he took it a few years ago there were private, two-person cabins? Is that option still available?
4. Anyone know how much the train costs, whether by day or night, and the private cabin option?
5. I'll arrive in Budapest several days before going to Krakow. Is that enough advance time to buy the tickets, or should I take care of it while still in the United States? Any price difference between buying it here or there?
Old Mar 3, 2008, 9:29 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Velocity + Miles & More
1) Its a decent train but not overly comfortable.
2) Take the day train to see the view which is fantastic.
3) You can get a two person cabin but its pretty expensive
4) Not sure on coats
5) A few days is more than enough time to buy the ticket in Budapest
Old Mar 4, 2008, 2:57 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
www.raileurope.com will give you an idea of the prices (and schedules).

I'm really not sure whether the tickets cost more here or there. If there is a difference, I think purchase here is the higher. I tend to buy them there since I'm not always sure of the schedule way ahead of time.

Romelle
Old Mar 4, 2008, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Rail Europe is overpriced.

Buy your tickets as soon as you can, but buy them in Europe.

You will most likely be able to buy all your tickets, and reserve sleeping cars at your first destination for all your journeys
Old Mar 16, 2008, 9:03 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry 8800: Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.0.10031/286; U; en))

Agree with the above posts. Trains here are not that great, and its worth to take it in the daytime to see the view.
Buy your tickets in advance if you can from the train station or online (polish pkp I think only allows to buy online krk-waw) if possible.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.