Reload this Page >

Make the most out of your rail travel in Germany

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2015, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: C W
FlyerTalk Forums Thread Wiki: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread.
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; feel free to add important information here.
Wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

German rail passes information: http://www.germanrailpasses.com/pass...FYJ8fgodMR8B5Q

Print Wikipost

Make the most out of your rail travel in Germany

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2019, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Should have posted before, but all of the above eventually got sorted sorted out. But it was a bit of a messy process, I couldn't get in to my miles and more credit card for months.

I just traveled on a Super Sparpreis in 1st class, and had to wait for a delayed train in Cologne. I was refused access to the lounge, on the basis that it was a Super Sparpreis. Just to give you a heads up. But the episode irritated me a bit .A 1st class ticket is a 1st class ticket, for heaven's sake.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Concerto
I just traveled on a Super Sparpreis in 1st class, and had to wait for a delayed train in Cologne. I was refused access to the lounge, on the basis that it was a Super Sparpreis. Just to give you a heads up. But the episode irritated me a bit .A 1st class ticket is a 1st class ticket, for heaven's sake.
This is clearly stated in the rules:
Für den Zutritt mit Fernverkehrsfahrschein 1. Klasse sind Tickets im Tarif Super Sparpreis, Eurail-, German Rail- und InterRail-Pässe sowie Expedienten- und DB-Mitarbeiterangebote ausgenommen.
farci and :D! like this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Has that always been there? Or was it just introduced with the new Super Sparpreis concept? I was just a little annoyed at having been caught out today. Didn't bother to check the rules as I have always had access on normal Sparpreis tickets. I can understand the Interrail and other passes being excluded from lounge access, though. Thank goodness not too many of the airlines do such things. One exception is S7 Airlines of Russia, which permits no lounge access or extra miles for upgrades bought online.

As an aside, I greatly appreciated the trip in 1. Klasse today from Brussels to Oberhausen, with a change in Cologne. It made for a calm, comfortable and less tiring trip.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:26 pm

Interrail has not granted lounge access in Germany for several years, if ever. You get lounge access in many other countries.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
We have a trip coming up in May. Are plan is to land in Frankfurt and take a train into Nuremburg for a couple of nights. We will then train down to Munich, where we will have a day trip to Salzberg and eventually taking a train back to Frankfurt for our flight home.

It seems with the amount of rides, a German Rail Pass makes the most sense. From what I have gathered, it seems the Rail Pass is not good for local public transportation. What is the easiest option for local travel within Munich and Nuremberg? Is there another pass we should pre-purchase, or should we just by tickets on site as needed?

Thanks
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by brentyb
We have a trip coming up in May. Are plan is to land in Frankfurt and take a train into Nuremburg for a couple of nights. We will then train down to Munich, where we will have a day trip to Salzberg and eventually taking a train back to Frankfurt for our flight home.

It seems with the amount of rides, a German Rail Pass makes the most sense.
I find that if you purchase Sparpreis ahead of time that is often cheaper than buying a Railpass. However those tickets are valid only on a specified train. So the real benefit of the Railpass is that you can take any train. It's hard to plan on a Sparpreis train on arrival in Frankfurt since you won't know whether your plane will be on time and which train you should take (there are usually 1-2 trains/hour to Nuremberg). So you may need to wait until you arrive in Frankfurt to buy that tickets. But for the trains to Munich, Salzburg and back to Frankfurt, you can buy them ahead of time and usually get a good price. It's easy to do on the Deutsche Bahn website and then either print them out or load them on the DB Navigator app.
From what I have gathered, it seems the Rail Pass is not good for local public transportation. What is the easiest option for local travel within Munich and Nuremberg? Is there another pass we should pre-purchase, or should we just by tickets on site as needed?
The Railpasses typically include all the services operated by the DB, which generally includes the S-Bahn and local trains, but not other local transit (U-Bahn, trams, buses). However if you have a Railpass that gives you a limited number of days, then the local trains are only included on the days the pass is valid, and it's usually not a good deal to use days locally.
The local transit systems sell individual day trip tickets. Most systems also have all-day passes which are usually worthwhile if you will be making 3 or more trips, and often there are group day tickets which cost less than 2 all day passes, so if you will travel together those are a good choice. They can generally be easily bought from ticket machines.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by brentyb

It seems with the amount of rides, a German Rail Pass makes the most sense. From what I have gathered, it seems the Rail Pass is not good for local public transportation. What is the easiest option for local travel within Munich and Nuremberg? Is there another pass we should pre-purchase, or should we just by tickets on site as needed?

Thanks
Between Nuernberg, Munich and Salzburg a one-day Bayern-Pass, good for up to two people and for one whole day after 9:00 a.m. is a good buy (25 Euros if booked on-line, good on all local and regional trains in Bavaria and as far as Salzburg). Since even the regional trains between Nuernberg and Munich and Munich and Salzburg take only a few minutes more than the express trains, it's worth it.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by Track
Between Nuernberg, Munich and Salzburg a one-day Bayern-Pass, good for up to two people and for one whole day after 9:00 a.m. is a good buy (25 Euros if booked on-line, good on all local and regional trains in Bavaria and as far as Salzburg). Since even the regional trains between Nuernberg and Munich and Munich and Salzburg take only a few minutes more than the express trains, it's worth it.
On routes with frequent IC/ICE service, it can be cumbersome and infrequent to find local trains. For example from Nuernberg to Muenchen there are 2-3 IC/ICE per hour that take about 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes. The local trains runs once every two hours and takes 1 hour 50 minutes. All the other local trains require connections and take more than 2 hours 30 minutes. The regional tickets like the Bayern ticket can be great value if the distances are not great and there isn't frequent IC/ICE service on the route, but when there are IC/ICE trains, if you can find a Sparpreis, that is usually a better choice.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 4:01 pm

I think it's EUR 32 for two people (so still relatively cheap), but I agree that the Bayern-Ticket would probably be the best solution for the Munich - Salzburg day trip. It also has the advantage that you can use all the public transport in Munich on the same day, and can board the Salzburg train at Munich Ost, if that station is more convenient, dependent on the hotel location in Munich (the fastest RJX trains don't stop there). Of course, you also have the flexibility which advance purchase tickets don't offer.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by railways
I think it's EUR 32 for two people (so still relatively cheap), but I agree that the Bayern-Ticket would probably be the best solution for the Munich - Salzburg day trip. It also has the advantage that you can use all the public transport in Munich on the same day, and can board the Salzburg train at Munich Ost, if that station is more convenient, dependent on the hotel location in Munich (the fastest RJX trains don't stop there). Of course, you also have the flexibility which advance purchase tickets don't offer.
The price varies between 23 and 36 Euros, depending on the "Land." Bavaria charges 25 Euros.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 6:59 pm

The price varies between 23 and 36 Euros, depending on the "Land." Bavaria charges 25 Euros.
Bavaria charges 25 Euros for one person, and 7 Euros for each additional passenger on the same ticket (maximum of 5 people)
Note that these tickets are only valid for departures after 9am on weekdays (I think they are good all day on weekends and often there is an even better deal for both weekend days)
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by seacarl
Bavaria charges 25 Euros for one person, and 7 Euros for each additional passenger on the same ticket (maximum of 5 people)
Note that these tickets are only valid for departures after 9am on weekdays (I think they are good all day on weekends and often there is an even better deal for both weekend days)
Sorry, you're right. I am a solo traveler and so didn't look past the 25 Euros (up to 5 people without noticing the additional cost past one). 32 Euros for two it is, and still a good deal.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:46 am

We are looking at a June train trip to Germany. Looking at projected itinerary we may be better off booking a Eurail Twin pass. The last part of our trip would be from Berlin Hbf to Amsterdam Central. If we have one day left on the pass, are we allowed to take the train all the way to AMS and just buy a point to point ticket from the last stop in Germany (Bad Bentheim) to AMS?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, IHG plat, DB Comfort, SPG gold
Originally Posted by BigD420
We are looking at a June train trip to Germany. Looking at projected itinerary we may be better off booking a Eurail Twin pass. The last part of our trip would be from Berlin Hbf to Amsterdam Central. If we have one day left on the pass, are we allowed to take the train all the way to AMS and just buy a point to point ticket from the last stop in Germany (Bad Bentheim) to AMS?
Technically, you would only need a ticket from the border station (which would be Emmerich for the Oberhausen-Utrecht route, and which should be Bad Bentheim on the Hamburg-Utrecht route, but I don‘t have any experience there), but as you will probably be using the EuroCity, it might not be possible to buy such a ticket unless the train actually has a scheduled stop there - so make sure that you can actually buy IC/EC tickets between those two towns.

However, you might be better off buying a ticket all the way from Berlin to Amsterdam, as long as you can take advantage of a Sparpreis fare. As the fare for those tickets is not related to the actual distance of the journey, this might save you some hassle (and possibly even money), and you can be sure that an (optional) reservation you bought along with the ticket will actually be valid for the entire trip.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:47 am

Thank you Bruce for the great explanation. It sounds like buying on a Sparpries fare once we are 100% of the date and time. I do like the flexibility of the pass, but based on your suggestion, the sale fare in first class is under 60 Euro.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.