Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > European Rail Travel
Reload this Page >

Make the most out of your rail travel in Germany

Make the most out of your rail travel in Germany

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 9, 17, 6:33 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: C W
Wiki Link
FlyerTalk Forums Thread Wiki: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread.
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; feel free to add important information here.
Wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

German rail passes information: http://www.germanrailpasses.com/pass...FYJ8fgodMR8B5Q

Print Wikipost

Old Feb 9, 19, 12:24 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Should have posted before, but all of the above eventually got sorted sorted out. But it was a bit of a messy process, I couldn't get in to my miles and more credit card for months.

I just traveled on a Super Sparpreis in 1st class, and had to wait for a delayed train in Cologne. I was refused access to the lounge, on the basis that it was a Super Sparpreis. Just to give you a heads up. But the episode irritated me a bit .A 1st class ticket is a 1st class ticket, for heaven's sake.
Old Feb 9, 19, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
I just traveled on a Super Sparpreis in 1st class, and had to wait for a delayed train in Cologne. I was refused access to the lounge, on the basis that it was a Super Sparpreis. Just to give you a heads up. But the episode irritated me a bit .A 1st class ticket is a 1st class ticket, for heaven's sake.
This is clearly stated in the rules:
Für den Zutritt mit Fernverkehrsfahrschein 1. Klasse sind Tickets im Tarif Super Sparpreis, Eurail-, German Rail- und InterRail-Pässe sowie Expedienten- und DB-Mitarbeiterangebote ausgenommen.
farci and :D! like this.
Old Feb 9, 19, 3:44 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Has that always been there? Or was it just introduced with the new Super Sparpreis concept? I was just a little annoyed at having been caught out today. Didn't bother to check the rules as I have always had access on normal Sparpreis tickets. I can understand the Interrail and other passes being excluded from lounge access, though. Thank goodness not too many of the airlines do such things. One exception is S7 Airlines of Russia, which permits no lounge access or extra miles for upgrades bought online.

As an aside, I greatly appreciated the trip in 1. Klasse today from Brussels to Oberhausen, with a change in Cologne. It made for a calm, comfortable and less tiring trip.
Old Feb 9, 19, 4:26 pm

Interrail has not granted lounge access in Germany for several years, if ever. You get lounge access in many other countries.