Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > European Rail Travel
Reload this Page >

Questions about Train Travel from Florence to Cinque Terre

Old Oct 19, 2007, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Gold

HI, we will travel from Florence to Vernazza next week and had a question or two about train travel:

1) If we bought a ticket from Florence to Vernazza, it will likely require connections in Pisa and La Spezia. Suppose we wanted to get off, say in LaSpezia or Pisa, and walk around for an hour or so. Assuming that we missed our original connection, would our onward ticket be valid or would we have to buy a new ticket for the rest of our journey? In other words, could we just step on the next train in 2nd class and find a seat or would we have to buy new tickets?

2) Also, I notice that Florence to Vernazza is about 3 hours travel time, via Pisa. It looks like one could travel from Florence to Lucca and from Lucca to Vernazza, via La Spezia in about the same time or less. I can't figure out on the Trenitalia web site how to force a connection through Lucca. Can this be done on the English site or would I have to buy two separate tickets?

Thanks In Advance
Old Oct 19, 2007, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Hop on/hop off all depends on the type of ticket that you have and the type of train you are on.

W/that said - Pisa really isn't worth getting off the train for, you can easily see the tower from the train, and IMHO, there isn't much else there. I know many people who have been very disappointed by their visits to Pisa.
Old Oct 20, 2007, 11:39 am

I trained from Florence to Levanto (the town above the Cinque Terre) last week. I needed to change only in Pisa but my train didn't stop in Vernazza. Anyway...it's still two separate tickets. The ticket machine spit out two separate tickets, one for each train. You can check the Trenitalia website price as one booking vs. separate tickets and I'll bet you'll find it's the same price or close to the same, not worth worrying about anyway.

So if you really want to get off in La Spezia, just book a separate ticket from Pisa to La Spezia and then one to Vernazza.

As for Pisa: while I agree it's not much of a destination and the Field of Miracles is incredibly tourisity and unpleasant, the Tower itself is not to be missed if you are an American tourist. I stopped in Pisa and don't regret it, just to see the tower, even though I didn't like the town.

(And was that a joke about seeing the Tower from the train? I wound up going through Pisa several times on the train and never saw it.)
Old Oct 23, 2007, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by bdemaria
Hop on/hop off all depends on the type of ticket that you have and the type of train you are on.

W/that said - Pisa really isn't worth getting off the train for, you can easily see the tower from the train, and IMHO, there isn't much else there. I know many people who have been very disappointed by their visits to Pisa.
I disagree. You can get off the train, store your luggage, walk to the tower, look around, and be back in time for the next train. It's cool, it's the most touristy place I've ever been, but it's darn cool.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by haveric
I disagree. You can get off the train, store your luggage, walk to the tower, look around, and be back in time for the next train. It's cool, it's the most touristy place I've ever been, but it's darn cool.
Actually, it's quite a walk from the Pisa train station to the Field of Miracles - maybe 40 minutes each way. There are buses that take you between the train station and the Field of Miracles/Tower however. I think it's the LAM Rosa bus (not numbered) that stops in front of the train station. You could take the bus one way and walk back...
Old Oct 24, 2007, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by ahallflyertalk
Actually, it's quite a walk from the Pisa train station to the Field of Miracles - maybe 40 minutes each way. There are buses that take you between the train station and the Field of Miracles/Tower however. I think it's the LAM Rosa bus (not numbered) that stops in front of the train station. You could take the bus one way and walk back...
It is quite a walk, but not 40 minutes. Maybe I walk fast though.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by ahallflyertalk

(And was that a joke about seeing the Tower from the train? I wound up going through Pisa several times on the train and never saw it.)
No joke, you can see the tower from the train.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 2:01 pm

Just a couple of items to add...

You can also train it to La Spezia and then buy a Cinque Terre Card that includes train travel between the towns (includes La Spezia) and access to hike the trails between the towns.

During our trip in the spring, we also went from Florence to Vernazza. The train made a quick stop in Pisa on the way to La Spezia. We couldn't see the Tower from the Pisa train station while on the trains. The next train was a in a few hours I think so in theory we could have made a stop here. But we didn't think it was worth the stop to see the Tower. YMMV.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Jay71
Just a couple of items to add...

You can also train it to La Spezia and then buy a Cinque Terre Card that includes train travel between the towns (includes La Spezia) and access to hike the trails between the towns.

During our trip in the spring, we also went from Florence to Vernazza. The train made a quick stop in Pisa on the way to La Spezia. We couldn't see the Tower from the Pisa train station while on the trains. The next train was a in a few hours I think so in theory we could have made a stop here. But we didn't think it was worth the stop to see the Tower. YMMV.
One caution with buying a Cinque Terre card: it's good for three days, not 72 hours. So if you validate it at 15:00 on a Tuesday, it's good for that Tuesday plus Wed and Thursday. If you make a stop in Pisa and take a late afternoon train to La Spezia, you might not get around to hiking that day, and you eat one day if you use the pass starting late afternoon. If you think you will still hike the same day you arrive in the CT (I did), then it might be worthwhile. Otherwise, buy a cheap train ticket from La Spezia just for the day.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 11:06 pm
cja

Programs: UA Prem Exec, DL Gold Medallion
As you will be travelling light, you can take the chance and look for a pensione when u get there. Just make sure you arrive early, not late afternoon when the rooms may have been taken.

When we did this trip years back, we did not have any room booking in Florence. As you arrive and head for the tourist info area, you'll be approached by pension owners offering their place nearby. Check it out if u like the room, and make a deal! That was how we found our pension, which was about a 5 to 10-minute walk from the station.

Oh, and we had our trusty guide book by Rick Steves which I found useful, and easy to carry around.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by haveric
It is quite a walk, but not 40 minutes. Maybe I walk fast though.
It's a five minute walk from Pisa San Rossore station.

Look at the column capitals on the tower; incredible variety of design. Architecture schools have tried to convince the world that there is one correct Corinthian design, one correct Ionic, etc., but the truth is that there are infinite variations.

Originally Posted by cja
Oh, and we had our trusty guide book by Rick Steves which I found useful, and easy to carry around.
Great term coined in a Chicago Tribune article a month ago: "the Rick Stevesification of Cinque Terre". We took the train past there last weekend. It was filled with Americans, 90% of whom got off at Vernazza, to be replaced by an equal number who boarded... many dragging oversized suitcases. It's a beautiful place, but those aren't the only beautiful coastal villages in Italy.

Last edited by Gargoyle; Oct 31, 2007 at 7:27 pm
Old Nov 1, 2007, 6:50 pm

I don't think there is a direct train from Florence to Vernazza. You have to switch.

The one I took stopped in Pisa for a bit so we brought our luggage to the storage, hopped the bus and saw the tower. In and out in a few hours (we stopped to eat too), then when you get to La Spezia you swap trains "get the Cinque Terre card" and get on the train heading to Genoa. This train stops at every station in Cinque Terre.

The train from Florence to Pisa was practically empty and same with onward to La Spezia. From La Spezia to Cinque Terre the train is packed.

Its extremely touristy (and the section immediately to the right of the tower), but I say don't miss it. Its still pretty cool to see it in person, no matter how many times you've seen it in pictures.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.