Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > European Rail Travel
Reload this Page >

Eurostar Frequent Traveller "enhancements"

Old Jun 11, 07, 5:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club

This month sees some new changes to Eurostar's Frequent Traveller programme. The biggest enhancement is the ability, at long last, to book award tickets using points online. Previously this was only possible via the call centre. Collection of tickets will now also be possible from the e-Ticket machines using new membership cards which are being sent out this month.

The lower tier is being renamed Eurostar Carte Classique, Carte Blanche remains Eurostar's highest tier (attainable by earning 1500 points on Eurostar travel in a calendar year).

Carte Blanche members will also be able to choose specific seating when booking online, regardless of class of service. This is currently only available to Business Premier passengers.
Old Jun 11, 07, 5:09 am

Programs: Emirates Gold, BA Silver
I could swear I booked seats with points a few months ago... online!
Old Jun 11, 07, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Yes, previously if you wanted to book award tickets online you had to fill in a booking redemption form which would be submitted online and processed via the contact centre.

Now, once you are logged in to your account online, you can book award tickets just like revenue tickets and instantly receive a PNR.
Old Jun 11, 07, 8:11 am

Programs: Emirates Gold, BA Silver
I used to get instant availability and confirmation. PNR and all. honnest to god. Perhaps it was a trial? This was back in early 2007. It was the first and only time I tried it. Going to Paris and Brussels every month is enough without wanting to go in my own time. EST FT is fairly useless in my opinion.
Old Jun 11, 07, 10:02 am

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
EST FT is fairly useless in my opinion.
Not THAT useful I grant you, but Carte Blanche at least gets you lounge access if travelling in Standard or Leisure Select - I only get flexible First if I really need it so Leisure Select is what I more often end up with, at least one way. I also like the fact they give you some credit even for the cheapest fares.

The carte blanche priority taxi line has also occasionally been a godsend at WIT.
Old Jun 11, 07, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

I have to say I was not overly impressed with the news of these enhancements. The actual programme itself remains fairly dull and unexciting ever since the introduction of Carte Blanche.

Also, it would be nice if Carte Blanche members were to be recognised more onboard when travelling - at the moment this only applies to the lounges.
Old Jun 12, 07, 11:58 am

Programs: GGL
Being able to choose specific seating when booking online, regardless of class of service is quite good. I use Eurostar a lot, both business and personal and travel in all different classes all the time. Fairly dull programme indeed, but it does the job, it gives me points on all tickets, special check-in, security lane, lounge. Luggage tag always goes straight in the bin, how silly does that look. Gold level in the old days had something more special to it, so yes more recognition is always welcome!
Old Jun 12, 07, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, CX DIA, EK Gold
And this is in the BMI forum why ?
Old Jun 12, 07, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rambuster View Post
And this is in the BMI forum why ?
Because the bmi forum has become a de facto UK train forum. Do a search on "trains" within the forum, and you will see.
As to why this is so and what it says about bmi forumers, I'll leave you to ponder.
Old Jun 12, 07, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, CX DIA, EK Gold
Originally Posted by NickB View Post
Because the bmi forum has become a de facto UK train forum. Do a search on "trains" within the forum, and you will see.
As to why this is so and what it says about bmi forumers, I'll leave you to ponder.
Fair enough ...
Old Jun 16, 07, 5:03 am

Programs: GGL
With bmi having halted their LHR-CDG route it would have made perfect sense for them to have some sort of partner arrangement for EFT / Diamond Club on this route!

I know couple of years ago you could exchange tickets between BD and Eurostar on this route, but that wasn't succesful. As they now not compete on this route, might as well cooperate, would discourage BD members further from taking BA on this route.
Old Sep 11, 07, 9:19 pm

Hello JPLondon! I noticed that you mentioned that you are a frequent traveller of Eurostar. I will need to travel weekly between Paris and London for the next 3 months. From your experience, do you know if there is such a thing as buying Eurostar tickets in bulk? Since I am buying so many tickets, I was wondering what is the cheapest way to buy them. Thanks so much!!
Old Sep 11, 07, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-LTP, TP-*G, HL-D, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by jplondon View Post
I know couple of years ago you could exchange tickets between BD and Eurostar on this route, but that wasn't succesful. As they now not compete on this route, might as well cooperate, would discourage BD members further from taking BA on this route.
I remember once I had a full C class ticket and happily exchanged it on Eurostar and thought, wow, I'd be getting the full treatment... not.

Turned out that the train kitchen broke down and I didn't get my luxurious hot meal as promised... and honestly would have been better had I flown!

Originally Posted by phwong View Post
..I noticed that you mentioned that you are a frequent traveller of Eurostar. I will need to travel weekly between Paris and London for the next 3 months. From your experience, do you know if there is such a thing as buying Eurostar tickets in bulk? Since I am buying so many tickets, I was wondering what is the cheapest way to buy them. Thanks so much!!
I buy them through US office as it's most times cheaper, and better availability than eurostar.com. Try calling eurostar themselves if you're in London. Fares vary and obviously the early outbound and return late is more expensive than most. If you're going for same day or a day return, you shouldn't be paying more than 60 Pounds return. I think 'bulk' in eurostar's mind is 10+ tickets each trip!
Old Sep 12, 07, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by phwong View Post
Hello JPLondon! I noticed that you mentioned that you are a frequent traveller of Eurostar. I will need to travel weekly between Paris and London for the next 3 months. From your experience, do you know if there is such a thing as buying Eurostar tickets in bulk? Since I am buying so many tickets, I was wondering what is the cheapest way to buy them. Thanks so much!!
If you are UK based (or can access a UK bank account) you can get 4% cashback on each ticket by using the link at quidco.com

Search this Thread