Wiki Posts
Search

Rome - Train to FCO

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2007, 1:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Rome - Train to FCO

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry 7290: BlackBerry7290/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/120 UP.Link/6.2.3.18.0)

Hello, am in Rome and have to be at the airport this afternoon. I know of the non-stop FCO airport train from Termini, but a colleague said that there is also a normal train to FCO for much less money. Apparently it leaves the centre just a few metro stops from Termini. Does anybody know where I need to go to catch this train? Thanks for any help (don't have internet at the moment so can't look myself).

Cheers,

SmilingBoy.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 8:19 am

Programs: CO-Plat, DL-Gold
There is a train from Tiburtina Station in Rome to FCO. It is definitely slower (about 45 minutes), and I'd assume cheaper.

Tiburtina is fairly close to Termini - You can take metro line B, or a bus (not sure of the number, but you should be able to find that info locally).

Hope that helps, and isn't too late!
Old Feb 11, 2007, 10:51 am

Programs: DL reject, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Jelly of the Month, formerly NWA Plat (RIP)
Too late to be much help today, but:

http://www.toandfromtheairport.com/rome.html

Leonardo Express from FCO to Termini - €9.50 one-way

Metro train from FCO to Tiburtina - €5.00 one-way
Old Feb 12, 2007, 3:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Thanks a lot guys. I ended up running out of time, and took the Leonardo Express. 11 Euros one-way by the way.

SmilingBoy.
Old Aug 2, 2007, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Along the same vein

I need to watch my cents on an upcoming trip and am looking to use this cheaper train to get to/from Hotel Eden (Spanish Steps).

Should I use Ostiense or Tiburtina station?
Old Aug 3, 2007, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by LapLap
Along the same vein

I need to watch my cents on an upcoming trip and am looking to use this cheaper train to get to/from Hotel Eden (Spanish Steps).

Should I use Ostiense or Tiburtina station?
Quite the contradiction , "cheaper train" and "Hotel Eden"

Anyway, neither Ostiense and Tiburtina are esp. close to the Spagna stop, whichever you chose, when you exit the train, take Metro Line B to Termini and change to Line A and exit at Spagna
Old Aug 3, 2007, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bdemaria
Quite the contradiction , "cheaper train" and "Hotel Eden"

Anyway, neither Ostiense and Tiburtina are esp. close to the Spagna stop, whichever you chose, when you exit the train, take Metro Line B to Termini and change to Line A and exit at Spagna
Only because of FlyerTalk could someone in my circumstances get to go to the Hotel Eden and have it cost them much much less than a stay at a Comfort Inn .
Thanks for the info on changing trains and which stop to get to.

Could you recommend either of the options as the more convenient or easier?

This will be an opportunistic visit, part of a short layover on our way to Tokyo.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 3:09 pm
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
Only because of FlyerTalk could someone in my circumstances get to go to the Hotel Eden and have it cost them much much less than a stay at a Comfort Inn .
Thanks for the info on changing trains and which stop to get to.

This will be an opportunistic visit, part of a short layover on our way to Tokyo.
Hi LapLap.... either way is going to be a real hassle, just considering the metro, and changing lines. Then as mentioned you'll have a real trek from either metro stop - Barberini or Spagna.

I understand about wanting to save money... so let me present this option. You make reference that you're not travelling alone. If you go the train/metro route, you'd be paying €11 each for the train (unless that price has changed) and €1 each for the metro. So if there's 2 of you, you're spending €24.

For €35 total, you - and up to 2 others - could use this "Rome Shuttle Limousine" service that many of us recommend. You'd be met at the airport and taken right to the Eden Hotel.

IMHO this additional €9 expense is absolutely worth the gauntlet that you'd be avoiding.

Edited because I just read LapLap's op saying he wanted the cheaper train, and not the express at €11.

Here's a link to that line fr1. If I'm reading the linked Italian page correctly that fare would be €5,50. So for two, your total would be €13 including metro..

But still, I say take the shuttle. IMO.

Last edited by sk3; Aug 3, 2007 at 3:20 pm
Old Aug 3, 2007, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT

Nope, they're essentially equidistant but it stops at Ostiense 1st. However, some of the trains also stop at Termini - which would eliminate the need to change metro trains.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you! I'll look out to see if the fr1 stops at Termini* as this would be the idea scenario, but I'm not particularly phased by the kind of schlep involved with changing at Otiense.

The difference between €35 and €13 may not seem much to some folks, but to us that €22 is dinner for two.

Factor in the return trip and you see €25 vs €48 vs €70. (The shuttle is 3x the price and not an option for us)

Thanks for the fr1 link^. The webpage says some of the trains stop at Tuscolona (*rather than Termini) and as this has an A next to it we'll look at choosing this station if we can.

Edit to add:

Think I've got it now! Here's the budget option.

Get cheap train (FR1) to Tuscalone station (38 minutes)
Walk over to Ponte Lungo station on the A line (less than 5 minutes)

Within 5 stops you're at Termini which is where the Leonardo Express would take you.

I checked the timetable to see which trains stop at Tuscalona and they all seem to. Hope this helps someone else trying to control their finances.

Last edited by LapLap; Aug 4, 2007 at 4:01 am
Old Aug 9, 2007, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by sk3
For €35 total, you - and up to 2 others - could use this "Rome Shuttle Limousine" service that many of us recommend. ........
Thanks for the link to the limo service. Last time I took one, it was €50 for 2 pax from the Vatican to FCO.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 2:30 pm
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by allset2travel
Thanks for the link to the limo service. Last time I took one, it was €50 for 2 pax from the Vatican to FCO.
YW. But IME this isn't a real "limo" service in terms of the quality of the vehicles... I've been picked up in a town car of so-so cleanliness and also by a minivan that definitely had seen better days. But so far they've been reliable and picked me up as arranged (4 transfers so far) so I do continue to recommend them.

(Did you also see below that cabs now have a fixed rate of €40?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.