Wiki Posts
Search

Brussels to Amsterdam by train $$$$

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2006, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Brussels to Amsterdam by train $$$$

I have a stopover in Brussels in Oct on way back from Boo Doo and was thinking of spending the day in Amsterdam. About how much is a roundtip fare by train??? I have found the website for schedules but can't seem to find prices.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 3:00 pm

Programs: DL, AA, US, Amtrak
The prices are in this rather confusing brochure (PDF, French only) that lists only discounts. If you go on a weekend (leave Friday-Saturday, I think, and return Saturday-Sunday) the round trip is 40 euros. That's a 40% discount, so you can do the math for the normal fare. I didn't check the Thalys rates, but the regular train runs hourly and is almost is fast (about 3 hours each way, if I remember correctly).
Old Apr 26, 2006, 4:09 pm

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
From memory the current normal one-way fare is around 32 euros (return is double) on InterCity/NS services. Thalys is more expensive and only slightly quicker -you can check what promotions are going on nearer the date of travel. Thalys tickets can only be booked 3 months ahead. See www.thalys.com for more information on fares.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 5:21 pm

Here are a couple of handy links:
1. http://www.b-rail.be/main/E/
This is the Belgium train operator site.
2. http://be-internet.bene-system.com/b...B-RAIL&DIST=BS
This was from a link off the first website that has timetables and prices. If the URL doesn't work, go to the first website and the link to it is on the bottom left hand site in the Buy Online section, Travelling in Europe button
3. http://www.seat61.com/
Has general train travel info and is where you can find the websites of the operators of the country you are travelling in.
4. http://www.raileurope.com/us/index.htm
Has pricing for travel on the Thalys line.

I think in the Rick Steves Amsterdam, Bruges, and Brussels book it mentions return is either 40 Euro or it's 40 Euro each way. Anyways, check the 2nd link for more timely info.

We've been doing research on an Amsterdam to Paris to Brussels to Amsterdam trip. I wouldn't bother booking on Thalys btw Brussels and Amsterdam unless you don't mind paying a bit more for a nicer train (and it comes with a meal too). They do have the odd sales though so you might want to check out their website closer to your trip as previously mentioned. The journey time of the Thalys and InterCity trains are fairly close. I believe this is because high speed tracks aren't in place in the Netherlands yet. (I was going to try to take Thalys from Amsterdam to Paris so that we didn't have to switch trains but they have a maintenance notification that said they're doing track upgrades to allow for higher speeds on our outbound day.)

Thalys also has mandatory reservations whereas you don't need one for the InterCity trains. Info provided to me from one of my previous posts seems to indicate that Brussels to Amsterdam will not be crowded enough warrant reservations on the InterCity trains.

Last edited by Jay71; Apr 26, 2006 at 6:15 pm
Old Apr 26, 2006, 7:23 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I've taken the BRU-AMS train a number of times. It always takes about 1 hour longer than I want/expect it to. I wonder why that is....
Old Apr 29, 2006, 11:01 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
Looks like you can print your Thalys ticket now after you order it. This is good. Last year we had to have it mailed to my sister-in-law in Germany. Wouldn't have been able to get the ticket otherwise, except for in person.

We took the Thalys train from Amsterdam Central station to Brussels. The train was packed, and it was only the first week of May.
Old Apr 30, 2006, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can also now get timetables and pricing on the intercity trains at www.ns.nl . For example AMS-BRU is about 33 euros each way in 2nd class and less than 3 hours. Thays saves 15 min but is more expensive and reserved. The trains are classier too. The intercity tickets are good on any intercity train BE or NL. Using the agents will ding you an extra 3,5 euros now so use the ticket machines if you wish to save a little. Unfortunately the machines are not in english, do not accept cc, accept euro coin, Knip Cards etc I believe.

MisterNice
Old May 3, 2006, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I take the Thalys often from Paris to Amsterdam. It's real fast to Brussels, then slow the rest of the way to Amsterdam. It's €50 one way in first class on the stoptrein, BRU to AMS.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 2:02 pm

I'm flying into BRU on Wednesday, arriving about 8:30 A.M. and want to take an InterCity train to Amsterdam. Is there a train that I can take from the airport all the way to Amsterdam, or will I have to change trains at one of the main stations in Brussels? I'll be returning to Brussels (Central Station) next Sunday, should I buy a roundtrip ticket, or does it matter (pricewise)? Not sure of the time I'll leave Amsterdam on Sunday yet.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
I'm flying into BRU on Wednesday, arriving about 8:30 A.M. and want to take an InterCity train to Amsterdam. Is there a train that I can take from the airport all the way to Amsterdam, or will I have to change trains at one of the main stations in Brussels? I'll be returning to Brussels (Central Station) next Sunday, should I buy a roundtrip ticket, or does it matter (pricewise)? Not sure of the time I'll leave Amsterdam on Sunday yet.
From BRU take the train to Gare du Nord (Brussel Noord). The intercity train to Amsterdam stops there. (It’s the first of the 3 main Brussels stations when you come from the airport.)
But you can buy the ticket all the way to Amsterdam already at the airport.

Normally roundtrip is double the price of a one way ticket, so no need to buy a roundtrip ticket.

Be warned: none of the above information is valid for Thalys!!
Old Feb 1, 2008, 2:53 pm

Programs: CO - Gold, Marriott- Gold, HH- Gold, Hyatt Diamond, miscellaneous nothing on many
Does the Intercity also go to Brussels Centraal as well as Brussells Noord?
It seems to, but the website switches from English to Dutch so I'm not completely sure!
Old Feb 3, 2008, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe all the intercity trains top at all 3 Brussels stations.

MisterNice

Last edited by MisterNice; Feb 4, 2008 at 2:55 pm
Old Feb 5, 2008, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes the inter-cities stop at all 3 stations. Tip: There is no charge to ride on these trains between the 3 city stops.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 9:47 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Anyone with a date on when the HSL Zuid will become operational and trains speed up?
Old Feb 5, 2008, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well the Dutch said they had to do a safety study first. Which is insane since the train has been running high speed for years in France. But they are readying their NS High Speed service now with special new trains. They will run moderately high speed probably later this year with the current set of trains.

I don't know about Belgium.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.