Wiki Posts
Search

Eurostar tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2005, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US CP
Eurostar tickets

Where is the best place to buy Eurostar tickets? Best Discounts/Airline mile combos?

Thanks,

Amy
Old Jan 19, 2005, 8:15 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
www.eurostar.com pick france as your country of choice and let it rip.

pick up ticket at gare du nord, allow at least 20 minutes.

do not buy ticket through raileurope, they are a rip off.

lala
Old Jan 20, 2005, 5:18 am

Programs: HH Diamond, FB Plat
In the past, tickets purchased on the French site were cheaper than those purchased on the UK site (for the same itinerary). Not sure if this is still the case.

Additionally, the exchange rates are not always up-to-date, so you may find some arbitrage opportunities by comparing the different sites (France, UK, US).
Old Jan 20, 2005, 6:18 am

PaulasPain raises an excellent point.

If you're in the US, Rail Europe is the only place that sells European train tickets (incl Eurostar, Thalys, TGV). It has usually been the case that you were far better off buying such tickets in Europe because of Rail Europe's mark-up. However, the US$'s freefall has levelled the field, and it's currently about the same price to buy a ticket from Rail Europe as buying in Europe. (And, for people in the US, it can be enormously more convenient to use Rail Europe, depending on the ticket that you want to buy.)
Old Jan 21, 2005, 9:45 pm

The rates are going up/down slightly soon.

http://www.ttc.org/200501211640.j0lgeqg23780.htm
Old Jan 22, 2005, 8:30 am

Programs: UA MM1K,AA EXP
Re:french train tickets

I booked train tickets Paris-Avignon yesterday on the sncf.fr site. If you are travelling anytime around Easter, book now. My tickets went up 30E while I was online. I looked today, and what's available is a lot more expensive. Most of the tickets are non changeable/non refundable. However, they have a new system where you can change if you don't print the ticket. I'm waiting to see how that works.
Old Jan 22, 2005, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by willie--wonka
...they have a new system where you can change if you don't print the ticket. I'm waiting to see how that works.
Not quite.

If you buy a non-changeable ticket (Smiley fare), you can't change the ticket under any conditions (except for a train strike, which is always a possibility), whether you print it yourself, have it delivered, or pick it up at a train station.

If you buy a changeable ticket (Mezzo or Librys), you can change the ticket according to the fare rules as long as you either have the ticket delivered or pick it up at a station. However, if you choose to print a Mezzo or Librys ticket, it becomes a non-changeable ticket.

So, printing a ticket can turn a changeable ticket into a non-changeable one. But the inverse is not true (you can't turn a non-changeable ticket into a changeable one by not printing it).
Old Jan 22, 2005, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA MM1K,AA EXP
RE:changeable tickets

I don't recognize your categories(smiley, etc.), but here's what I've got and it seems to be exchangeable for a fee. Since everything that weekend is booking up and the fares are up to 120E each way for two people today on the reservations that are left, I figure I'm in fine shape.

See what you think.

Confirmation de votre commande

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bonjour
Vous avez effectué une commande sur notre site voyages-sncf.com le 21/01/2005 à 16h16 et nous vous en remercions. Nous vous rappelons ci-dessous le détail :

Nous vous rappelons que vos bagages doivent être munis d'étiquettes avec vos nom et prénom.

Pour votre confort, nous vous conseillons d'arriver 20 minutes avant le départ du train.
Au delà d'un délai de 5 minutes avant le départ du train, l'accès à bord n'est plus garanti.

Si vous voulez retrouver votre dossier sur le site web, cliquez ici.

PARIS AVIGNON
2 159.60 €

Départ : PARIS GARE DE LYON 13h20 22/03/2005
Arrivée : AVIGNON TGV 15h57 22/03/2005
7903 - Place(s) assise(s) garantie(s)

Départ : AVIGNON TGV 20h01 25/03/2005
Arrivée : PARIS GARE DE LYON 22h41 25/03/2005
7904 - Place(s) assise(s) garantie(s)

Référence du dossier voyage correspondant :

Nom associé :

Le mode de retrait pour ce billet est : LE BILLET IMPRIME

Le billet iDTGV est échangeable avant impression, c'est à dire avant saisie des nom, prénom et date de naissance du passager.

L'échange d'un billet est possible uniquement auprès du centre d'appel d'échange de billets iDTGV (0.892.682.042 - 0.34 €/mn) du lundi au vendredi (sauf jours fériés), de 9h à 17h. Des retenues de 10 € vous seront demandés pour chaque billet modifié.
Consultez les conditions d'échange

I've eliminated the identifying data;since I don't plan on changing it(I don't think anything will be available), but I may check at the small sncf office near my apartment when I'm in Paris next week. Needless to say, auberge and rental car are already taken care of.
Old Jan 22, 2005, 3:03 pm
Suspended

I have to diaagree with some here regarding the use of Rail Europe in fact I cannot think any reason to use Rail Rurope ( except they have all the railways concentrated on a single site) or they are running a rare special.
Not insignificant are the delivery charges to have the tickets delivered in the US

For SNCF, if you cannot find the tickets on the SNCF website I suggest calling their English speaking line and you might find be able to find tickets that are partially discounted by buying 30 or 45 days out, tickets fron two or groups travelling together etc and other specials not available on RE.
Added to the above the convenience of exchange/refunds at any station.

mike
Old Jan 22, 2005, 3:06 pm

It says that you can change your ticket by calling the ticket center, but only if you have not yet printed the ticket. It goes on to say that you will need to enter the passenger's first and last name and DOB in order to print the ticket, and once you have entered this info, the ticket is no longer exchangeable. (Also, and I'd never seen this before, it says that all your suitcases need to have a tag with your name and address on it.)
Old Jan 23, 2005, 9:54 am

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Willie Wonka,

You booked an iDTGV ticket. iD phonetically = idea in French... So" IdeaTGV". That train is currently being test marketed between Paris and Toulon with stops in Avignon and Marseille. The pricing is set up like a discount airlines such as jet save where it starts out very cheap and goes up as more seats are sold. Thats probably why it went up so quickly. Traditional TGV's dont have as many fares and the price changes less often. They are going to be test marketing the new concept for 3 years before possibly rolling it out elsewhere.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 10:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I'm a bit confused, so please bear with me. I'll be going from Avignon to London on July 16th. From the looks of it, a TGV to Paris and a transfer over to the Eurostar would be my most convenient option (better than air connection in Orly or train to Lyon then fly).

Would there be any point in booking some super saver fare now, or should I wait until I'm closer to my travel date? BTW, I'm very fixed in my date/time: leave Avignon at 10 am or after. Changes to this are very unlikely.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 11:29 am

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Originally Posted by dhuey
I'll be going from Avignon to London on July 16th. From the looks of it, a TGV to Paris and a transfer over to the Eurostar would be my most convenient option (better than air connection in Orly or train to Lyon then fly).
You can only book the TGV 2 months out* so you cant book a July 16th date yet. I would book it exactly two months out for the best price.

As far as routing is concerned, coming into Paris from Avignon arrives at Gare de Lyon. The Eurostar for london leaves from Gare du Nord. That requires a taxi or metro ride and lots of time for the change. I would take the TGV from Avignon TGV to Lille Europe and change onto the Eurostar in Lille. That way you dont have to change train stations.

Easy Jet flies out of Marseille to London Gatwick. Marseille is fairly close to Avignon so i expect flying would be much faster and EasyJet is ultra cheap if you buy it way in advance. You could take the TGV from Avignon TGV station to Aix en Provence TGV (20 min ride) then take a bus from the TGV station to the Marseille airport (15 or 20 min ride, leaves every 30 mins). The Aix en Provence TGV station is closer to the Marseille airport than the Marseille train station is.

*Edited to correct the early booking date for TGV as pointed out by Francophile. Thanks!

Last edited by MorganB; Jan 24, 2005 at 6:06 am
Old Jan 23, 2005, 11:54 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by dhuey
I'm a bit confused, so please bear with me. I'll be going from Avignon to London on July 16th. From the looks of it, a TGV to Paris and a transfer over to the Eurostar would be my most convenient option (better than air connection in Orly or train to Lyon then fly).

Would there be any point in booking some super saver fare now, or should I wait until I'm closer to my travel date? BTW, I'm very fixed in my date/time: leave Avignon at 10 am or after. Changes to this are very unlikely.
It's too early too book TGV tickets on sncf.fr at this time for travel in July. Bookings on the IDTGV are only available until the end of June. All the other TGVs are typically only open for reservation two months in advance (Eurostar tickets are available three months in advace).

One way trips on Eurostar can be very expensive. You can buy a round-trip ticket and trash the return segment.

The Easyjet idea sounds better.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 4:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Thank you very much, Morgan & francophile!

The EasyJet option looked great until I checked the schedule. They currently have only one flight per day in July from Marseille to LGW, and it leaves around 5 pm (way too late). I suppose it's possible that they'll add more flights, so I'll keep an eye on that.

The TGV to Lille looks to be an improvement on the Paris transfer idea. I'll check the train scedules to see if it works.

I was under the impression that the Paris transfer was just a quick ride on an RER, and that one could safely schedule a Eurostar departure one hour from your schedule arrival at Gare de Lyon. Is that too tight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.